HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:29 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
421 Posts
Discussion
Vintage 1982 Sears Offroad Buggy

Found my first RC in my mom's attic a while back, though it needed a gearbox and some work. I was lucky enough to find a donor car, and some spare time this weekend, so I thought I'd give it a little restoration to fix it up for my kids.

The Sears cars back then were manufactured by Taiyo, and also sold under the Taiyo "Radio Racer" name. This one kinda resembles a 1970's Ford Bronco, or maybe a Mitsubishi Pajero. In addition to 3 manually selectable speed ranges, it has an electronic engine sound module that actually changes pitch with motor speed. Additionally, it has fully proportional steering and throttle. Why you can't find this on new "toy quality" RC cars in 2012 beyond me, considering it was available 30 years ago.
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
421 Posts
The first step was to pull everything apart, and wash all plastic parts off in warm water and dish soap, then blow everything off with compressed air. Lots of dirt and dust buildup inside over the years, so for that stuck on film, Endust for electronics works great. Anything with actually wiring or electronics that needed cleaning was shot off with compressed air, and electronics cleaner. After cleaning, I wet sanded, polished, and waxed the body with a coat of Meguires yellow wax, restoring it's former shine.
Last edited by bfaulguy; Mar 24, 2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Missing info
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:39 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
421 Posts
Before running it, I pulled apart both the drive gearbox (pictured here) and the servo motor to clean and lubricate the gears with some Tamiya plastic safe grease. Not much was left on them after all those years. Notice the three speed main spur.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:46 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
421 Posts
Then, I turned my attention to the wheels and tires. The tires were somewhat dried out, so I tried this boiling process I read about on the "other" forum. I guess it worked. They were then lubricated with a liberal dose of silicon, which soaked right in. After some deliberation, I thought the raised Goodyear lettering would look better white, since that trend was all the rage in the early 80's.Plus, I have 4 more tires, so if it looks dumb I'll just swap the old ones back, or flip these around. But I'm thinking I won't have to do that. Considering converting the spare to an actual rubber spare, just because.
Last edited by bfaulguy; Mar 24, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:52 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
421 Posts
Here it is. After fabricating a new receiver whip antenna to replace the badly damaged original, I finally powered everything up on some new alkaline Cs. To my amazement, everything works great, even the sound module! Well, another relic to go on the shelf and collect dust. Thanks for looking!
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:21 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Joined Apr 2009
1,978 Posts
Nice work, had one of those radio racers back in the day.
elvill is offline Find More Posts by elvill
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:06 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,502 Posts
love the hotshot!
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Apr 09, 2012, 10:19 PM
Call me Mad Hatter
Joined Jun 2007
427 Posts
Great work! I too just finished the second RC Car I ever owned and got it back into condition and I'm waiting for a nice day to try it out.
Ford_63 is offline Find More Posts by Ford_63
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:25 AM
bein ebin
India, Kerala, Kochi
Joined Sep 2012
69 Posts
beautiful ! that rc jeep is as old as me !!!
ebinmoothedam is online now Find More Posts by ebinmoothedam
Old Jan 13, 2014, 09:31 AM
Joined Jan 2014
1 Posts
Vintage Sears Off Road Buggy

30-40years ago I got a Sears Off Road Buggy RC for Christmas. My Son found one and surprised me this past Christmas with a blast from the past. After a few Front End, Antenna, and Circuit Board repairs its now up and running. My question is: Does anyone know when (year) this was sold by Sears in the classic Wishbook??? I would very much like to know when I originally got this old RC?

OK< I found it. Sears Wish Book 1980
oldylweed is offline Find More Posts by oldylweed
Last edited by oldylweed; Jan 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Found it.