HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:24 PM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
850 Posts
Trader Rating: 61
Discussion
Paypal is screwing me around! Any advice?

Paypal sent me an e-mail saying that I am nearing the $5000 transaction limit for my account and therefore I need to be "verified". They say they want my bank account information so that they can "deposit a small amount" into my account to "verify" that the account does indeed belong to me. I've never heard of such a thing! I've had this PP account for 3 years and never had an issue of any kind. None! What are they after? If anyone else here has had the same notice I would appreciate it if you would share your story and how you resolved the issue. I'm not even sure this is not some kind of scam or hacking operation.
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:52 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Trader Rating: 43
I verified my account years ago. It is innocuous.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,005 Posts
Trader Rating: 652
Me too. They deposit $0.15 or so into your acct, you verify the amount, and that's it. Totally worth it.
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:33 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,371 Posts
Trader Rating: 11
I got a email from "Pay Pal" yesterday saying I needed to update my account bank info.

They obviously want the account number and the routing number BUT I grew suspicious when they wanted my regular PIN number for ATM use.

When I looked up at the address bar it was not a Pay Pal site but something like CalvinClean.com?????

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Last edited by 1320fastback; Mar 24, 2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:34 PM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,769 Posts
Trader Rating: 35
Re: The OP - yep - no worries at all.

Re: Above post - good on ya for not falling for it.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:34 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,283 Posts
Trader Rating: 391
Me too, verified 10 years and a day past.
I know there was a max limit without verification, but did not know it was up to 5K now.
I have never had a security breach.
If you are concerned, you could open some chump account at XYZ bank, then set up transfer from your primary.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
Trons and Fumes
Fallon, NV
Joined Mar 2007
5,038 Posts
Trader Rating: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320fastback View Post
I got a email form "PayPal" yesterday saying I needed to update my account bank info.

They obviously want the acount number and the routing number BUT I grew suspicious when they wanted my regual PIN number for ATM use.

When I looked up at the address bar it was not a PayPal site but something like CalvinClean.com?????

SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Yep. That is a valid concern. For ANY online account information, NEVER click links in emails, no matter how official they look. For paypal emails, I ALWAYS type the address in the browser, and verify that it comes up with a lock icon and a green checkmark from Mcafee.
wrightme is offline Find More Posts by wrightme
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:37 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,283 Posts
Trader Rating: 391
Oh, the Phishing.

Also, do so directly with PayPal and never ever through any link.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:40 PM
Pants Up, Don't Loot!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,769 Posts
Trader Rating: 35
Real PayPal emails will always address you by your first name.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:50 PM
The "K"minator
Frostbite Falls,MN
Joined Sep 2006
2,223 Posts
Trader Rating: 717
If you're ever in doubt,forward the E-mail to spoof@paypal.com
They will tell you if it's phishing or legitimate.
Crazy Eight is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Eight
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:20 PM
Rust: The poor man's Loctite.
State College PA
Joined Jul 2002
1,086 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
Open up a separate bank account just for Paypal and never keep in it more than you can afford to lose.
TomM is online now Find More Posts by TomM
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:21 PM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
407 Posts
Trader Rating: 37
I verified my account years ago, no problems. Just make sure you are dealing with the real paypal by entering the web address yourself instead of using a link or bookmark.
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:33 PM
Suspended Account
United States, ND, Lemmon
Joined Dec 2011
92 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
To verify your account, dont do it through an email link. Do it at paypal.com. I and probably almost everyone on here have verified our accounts. It makes moving money around much easier. Some people obviously dont want to and thats fine too. Just cant go over that limit lol
ghtscorexception is offline Find More Posts by ghtscorexception
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:43 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Apr 2008
939 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
I had a hassle with Paypal when they let someone scam me for a $800 camera. Lucky I had Paypal hooked to me Visa. 3 days later Visa returned the money to me. 6 months later Paypal finally corrected their mistake. Long story short I was out $18 conversion from US to CAN. even though I had nothing to do with the camera charge. Paypal kept sending me a form letter stated how exchange works, great except you let someone commit fraud on my Paypal account without my knowledge so why should I take a $18 loss because Paypal is not as secure as there ad's suggest.

Having your Paypal account hooked to your bank account is a bad idea. Having it hooked to a credit card doubles the security. I purchase everything I can with CC now and only use PP when no CC are taken. Once bitten twice shy.
Mikecam is offline Find More Posts by Mikecam
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:32 PM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
850 Posts
Trader Rating: 61
Thanks! to all who have taken the time to reply. There is a lot of good information in your replies. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to do now.
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg