HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraws View Post
Hello all,
I have had an 8005 for awhile,.... love it. now I decided to go for the 8006
because I got it for a good price and.... its a 8006-2. i am guessing its the newer version? anyway, to the problem I am having.
on my 8005 I can actually see and hear when I use the "hi/lo" switch on the radio,
However, on the 8006..... not so much ;( so,...... what do you think I can do to verify what the problem is ??
I took the radio back off and see that the hi/lo switch is
basically an on / off switch. so..... my problem is, I am not sure what I am stuck in...
High or low ?
My initial thought was to snip one of the wires from the hi /lo switch while its on and in half throttle to see if that does anything? what do you guys think?
I would rather have it stuck in "High" than Low. I never use low.
also,.... has anyone else encountered this?....... when I turn on and set the radio
up with the throttle up and down, then after when I go to take off, I almost have
to go to half throttle before I see and get a reaction from the heli. is this normal?
because on my 8005 its almost instant to get reaction from throttle.
OK , so, long story short,... how do I find out if my 8006 is stuck in
High or Low speed. Thanks all !
Hi fraws,

My Qs8006-2 helicopter (2012 version) works the same way.

On my Qs8005 helicopter (1st version), moving the transmitter’s H / L switch from the lower power setting to the high power setting increased both the main rotor speed and the tail rotor speed. With my 8005 transmitter H / L switch set on the high power setting, my 8005 would easily take off with about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and the helicopter had lots of extra quick climbing power to spare.

With my Qs8006-2 helicopter, moving the transmitter’s H / L switch from the low power setting to the high power setting only increases the tail rotor speed (no main rotor speed increase on my 8006). With my 8006’s transmitter set to the H setting and using a freshly topped of battery, my 8006 requires about 2/3 or more throttle just to takeoff. Also at full throttle power, my 8006’s climb speed is about 25 percent slower than the 8005 and the 8006 doesn’t have much extra throttle power to spare to clear obstacles (much more sluggish climbing) when compared to the Qs8005 helicopter.

So basically on my Qs8006 helicopter, the transmitter’s HI / LO switch is a non working function item.

Personally I would rather see G.T Model go with a 2.4ghz transmitter and use more progressive controls on the joysticks so as to give better power modulation for more finer control. Also working trim buttons for adjusting joystick play or activation point would be a good idea too.

Ray
Pilot Ray is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Ray
Last edited by Pilot Ray; Mar 10, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Thanks Nonerve, I will try that, I did put new batteries in from the get go but I may have gotten old ones. will replace and see if difference. Thanks.
fraws is offline Find More Posts by fraws
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Thanks pilotRay,
I will see if I can notice a difference in the tail blade when switching from hi to lo.
If I notice NO difference, I will let you know. I know the 8006 is sluggish but on the plus side , it is graceful and stable. I agree that something should be done for the tail blades on all the QS's.

Thanks again! OH, by the way, is your 8006 radio the same as in having to go to almost
half throttle in order to get any response at all? the dots do go up to full when its all the way
up, but Geeeeze louise only half a throttle to play with? ;(
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
NoNerve is offline Find More Posts by NoNerve
Old Mar 12, 2013, 01:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
QS8005 On Sale !

Hello all,
I try not to be greedy, hehe, so listen, errrr read, on Focalprice.com if you type in
QS8005 a page will come up with 2 different 8005's,..... a red one for $78.99 and a blue one for $48.19 !!,...... However,... its says "In Stock" but when you click on it
the next page were you would order it and place in cart goes grey ;( so....
be patient and soon they may restock the item! Also, don't believe the "free shipping" for this item because when you DO get to order it, it tells you because
the box is so big that you will have pay for shipping. BUT..... Its worth it for $18.00
from EMS. just save me one ok ? enjoy! and the red ones ARE in stock
if you still don't mind paying the $78.99+ shipping
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:08 AM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Thanks again! OH, by the way, is your 8006 radio the same as in having to go to almost
half throttle in order to get any response at all? the dots do go up to full when its all the way
up, but Geeeeze louise only half a throttle to play with?
Hi fraws,
My 8006’s throttle starts power activation at about the same point. When looking at the raised graduation lines (the little black plastic lines) just left of the throttle's joystick, my 8006’s throttle begins working right at about one line just before the center line.

Ray
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:00 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Brushless Conversion

I wanted to get input on an idea. I think I've figured out a way to mount 1 brushless motor in my QS8006 so it turns both blades counter rotating at the same time.

It would only require a small idler shaft with a gear on each end the same size as the current motor gear. It could be mounted next to the motor to drive the lower main gear, while the motor drives it and the top gear.

Then all you would need is an ESC for the main motor. You could replace the current tail motor with a small brushless one for forward and reverse flight, and add another small motor in the tail for the steering. And of course small light weight reversible ESC's to control them.

And since you can program the channels on radios and receivers such as the Spektrum DX6, now you have a 2Ghz system.

I think what little weight you would gain from a receiver, motor ESC's and 1 small tail motor would be offset by getting rid of one of the main heavy brush motors and heavy battery. LIPO's are lighter.

Thoughts?
Last edited by NoNerve; Mar 14, 2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
There are several problems with this idea:

1. You assume both upper and lower rotors exert the same force. This is not the case; the amount of "dirty" air the lower rotor pushes varies with movement.

2. You would need a way to control reversing a tail motor. That isn't a function of any flight transmitter I've ever seen. There are few reversing ESCs and they are expensive, require good motors and draw a lot of amps when switched.

3. Having two tail motors pushing in air in different directions would interfere with each others air flow, assuming you could find a way to mount the blades so they don't physically interfere.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Mar 2013
17 Posts
Would anyone suggest that I get a QS8005 after I am coming from first an S107 and then an S031 and then an S032? How much different is this thing to fly than those syma copters? I have a decent sized soccer field I can fly this at and I think it will be enough space. Just wondering if I will have trouble with it or not. Is it fairly balanced?Thanks!
soughtseven1035 is offline Find More Posts by soughtseven1035
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:48 PM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Thanks Ray,
Mine is exactly the same as you described.what a waist of precious room for more throttle to have been used ay?
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:10 PM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soughtseven1035 View Post
Would anyone suggest that I get a QS8005 after I am coming from first an S107 and then an S031 and then an S032? How much different is this thing to fly than those syma copters? I have a decent sized soccer field I can fly this at and I think it will be enough space. Just wondering if I will have trouble with it or not. Is it fairly balanced?Thanks!
Hello, 1035,
I would go ahead and get one, funny thing is, I did just the opposite hehe My
friend at camp finally convinced me to try flying heli seeing as I am a solid
RC Airplane pilot and have been for years. once I tried my friends heli
about the same size as an 8005 I just had to get one of my own.
his was also a 3 channel. I suggest tying a piece of yarn on the end of the
antenna so you know which way the wind is blowing. nothing more than 5 mph,
even that's to much for my nerves. I would strongly suggest taking first flight INDOORS,..... a gymnasium, big tall garage or something like that. get used to its actions. with no wind it will fly the same way as your s107 but when outside
with a bit a wind its a whole new animal. enjoy and order some extra blades
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:39 PM
Joined Mar 2013
17 Posts
Thanks fraws. I am stuck at which copter I want to go with. There are 3 now in my range that I just cannot decide on. They are:

The QS8005
The v912 or v913
FJX F45

I want the bigger one, the QS8005 but people seem to really like the v912 for it's power. I also think it's a great value, it's just hard to find. The QS8005 is on Amazon.com where I'd like to get my chopper as well. I am just stuck. Please no more recommendations, can someone help me decide?
soughtseven1035 is offline Find More Posts by soughtseven1035
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
There are several problems with this idea:

1. You assume both upper and lower rotors exert the same force. This is not the case; the amount of "dirty" air the lower rotor pushes varies with movement.

2. You would need a way to control reversing a tail motor. That isn't a function of any flight transmitter I've ever seen. There are few reversing ESCs and they are expensive, require good motors and draw a lot of amps when switched.

3. Having two tail motors pushing in air in different directions would interfere with each others air flow, assuming you could find a way to mount the blades so they don't physically interfere.
Maybe I should take RPM readings of both rotors at different power levels.

I did find some small ESC's that will program for forward and reverse on whatever transmitter channel you want to use them on from a couple of amps up to 30.

Thanks. Gives me something to think about.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:46 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,432 Posts
The Walkera LM3 used a single brushless motor with collective pitch on the lower rotor to control yaw. The added mechanical complexity had a significant impact on durability and reliability. It made for very interesting and undesirable handling, as well. It was an interesting exercise, but a commercial failure.

Having one main motor and two tail motors versus two main motors and one tail motor seems like a net loss. You are increasing complexity and introducing problems with no apparent gain. But, one thing I've learned is 95% of mods are done simply because somebody felt like doing them. So, don't mind me.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soughtseven1035 View Post
Thanks fraws. I am stuck at which copter I want to go with. There are 3 now in my range that I just cannot decide on. They are:

The QS8005
The v912 or v913
FJX F45

I want the bigger one, the QS8005 but people seem to really like the v912 for it's power. I also think it's a great value, it's just hard to find. The QS8005 is on Amazon.com where I'd like to get my chopper as well. I am just stuck. Please no more recommendations, can someone help me decide?
Hi Soughtseven1035,
If trying to decide between more control or more size, I would go with the extra channel control helicopter. Helicopters with extra channels control have advantage of more maneuverability, will generally hover in same spot in moving air without having to do any counter steering, can do more precision type flying, can compensate for moving air better, etc..

The slight draw back to having extra channel control helicopters is that they are more complex built and will initially require more practice to fly well if you have never flown an RC helicopter before.

Now if trying to decide between a 3 channel small size helicopter and 3 channel large size helicopter, I would go with the larger size helicopter. The larger size helicopter will be more stable flying and will be able to handle some moving air.
Large size helicopter’s like the 3ch. Qs8005 are easy flying and causal flying type helicopter that fly great on calm air days. One big advantage of the large size helicopters is that they are definitely easier to see when flying and they also have the advantage of being able to carry some payload. Also the larger size helicopters have an imposing look and sound powerful when flying.

The slight draw back to having any size 3 channel helicopter though is that they do require extra maneuvering and extra steering work to go where you want them to go and their direction maneuverability quickly gets much harder to keep up with as moving air becomes faster, like breezy air.

Ray