SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
quick canopy mod

I dont know if anyone had this problem.. but if you had a cut out or low battery and you have had a few hard landings... the canopy starts to crack around the bottom screw mounts where it attaches to the frame. This is because the canopy rests against the landing gear. When it drops hard the landing gear flexes and smashes into the canopy. So i just did a quick cut with the dremmel and took about a quarter inch off the entire back side of the canopy where it rests on the gear, and cut some slots out also along the mounts. Seems to have solved the issue.

I also added some clay to the front. Not sure how much weight I added, but as u can see in the pic its quite a bit.. She seems nose heavy now.. prob will drift forward without any elevator, but ive yet to try it out.
helicrapter is offline Find More Posts by helicrapter
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
Success

Hey guys I don't mean to keep hi-jacking this thread... but I gave her a test run today with the weighted nose... and all I can say is WOW. For anyone that has upgraded the tail rotor blade... adding clay to the nose is a MUST! In RC heli terms shes still not fast.. but for a co-axel of this size.. she moves very quick now... so fast actually that when making full forward elevator circles, it will actually bank into the turns now (which surprised me because there is obviously no aileron control.

Now at full elevator the nose stays tilted down all the time, instead of the fly bar eventually evening her out and losing the forward momentum. I'll have to weigh the canopy to figure out exactly how much I added so I can let you know.

I'd say we had constant winds of 5 knots + today and now I can fly right into them.

It does shorten the battery life slightly and it wont recover as quickly so if you add the weight just be aware of this. I disconnected all the LEDs for now to get as much outta it as i can
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:36 AM
door gunner
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Qs 8006-2

Thanks to all u heli pilots. I've read every thread on the 8005
and 8006 GT helis. As i stated in my 1st thread the first one cut
they are comingout and crashed on the 3rd flight. My friend Bo Bo's went down
on the 3rd flight. I have a new one that i will not even try to fly, it
quit in my basement shop on the very first bench run... i think the
things are electrically pieces of junk. With a 2.4 trans and radio rec.
and better pc boards.....maybe.....
I have friends that build circuit boards, i rent them a building,
i will ask for their oppinion on the GT equipment.
The 8006 is fun to fly if only for 1 or 2 mins. at a time. Keep
on trying to keep it up.......
Will continue to read your threads, i think they r losing rec. link.

doorgunner
onytay is offline Find More Posts by onytay
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onytay View Post
Thanks to all u heli pilots. I've read every thread on the 8005
and 8006 GT helis. As i stated in my 1st thread the first one cut
they are comingout and crashed on the 3rd flight. My friend Bo Bo's went down
on the 3rd flight. I have a new one that i will not even try to fly, it
quit in my basement shop on the very first bench run... i think the
things are electrically pieces of junk. With a 2.4 trans and radio rec.
and better pc boards.....maybe.....
I have friends that build circuit boards, i rent them a building,
i will ask for their oppinion on the GT equipment.
The 8006 is fun to fly if only for 1 or 2 mins. at a time. Keep
on trying to keep it up.......
Will continue to read your threads, i think they r losing rec. link.

doorgunner
Hi onytay,
I got the same frustrating electronic problem with my Qs8006 helicopter (See my post below). There’s no doubt that the transmitter and PCB / receiver boards are proving to be pretty bad quality. I think it’s a shame to be having this issue since the G.T Model helicopters themselves are actually pretty nice quality and are really easy to fly, and both the 8006 and 8005 helicopters do have lots of potential.
I do know one thing, if G.T Model wants customers to keep buying their helicopters, the helicopters must fly consistently without loosing power in flight.
If G.T Model is serious about keeping all their customers, they’ll have to fast track a better working transmitter and PCB board to market real soon.

Ray
Pilot Ray is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Ray
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi everyone,
I just received a new PCB board (it’s the 3rd one) for my Qs8006 helicopter and put it on the helicopter. Even though its been way too windy to fly the helicopter, I did do a full battery test run outside with my 8006 helicopter anchored down to a turn table. Well wouldn’t you know it after about 1 minute of running the simulated flight the helicopter’s power just totally stopped. To get the helicopter running again I had to push the throttle joystick all the way to the off position and then reapply the throttle again to get the helicopter running. Of course after another minute of running the helicopter the power shut down again and I had to be reset the transmitter once again by using the throttle joystick. One the third try the helicopter did run without any cutouts until the battery went low. I will be trying another test run later today.

Ray
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helicrapter View Post
Hey guys I don't mean to keep hi-jacking this thread... but I gave her a test run today with the weighted nose... and all I can say is WOW. For anyone that has upgraded the tail rotor blade... adding clay to the nose is a MUST! In RC heli terms shes still not fast.. but for a co-axel of this size.. she moves very quick now... so fast actually that when making full forward elevator circles, it will actually bank into the turns now (which surprised me because there is obviously no aileron control.

Now at full elevator the nose stays tilted down all the time, instead of the fly bar eventually evening her out and losing the forward momentum. I'll have to weigh the canopy to figure out exactly how much I added so I can let you know.

I'd say we had constant winds of 5 knots + today and now I can fly right into them.

It does shorten the battery life slightly and it wont recover as quickly so if you add the weight just be aware of this. I disconnected all the LEDs for now to get as much outta it as i can

Hi helicrapter,
Your not hijacking the thread, its good to see that you like posting about the 8006 helicopter. I think the more posting and ideas on the thread the better.

Ray
Last edited by Pilot Ray; Dec 21, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Ray View Post
Hi everyone,
I just received a new PCB board (it’s the 3rd one) for my Qs8006 helicopter and put it on the helicopter. Even though its been way too windy to fly the helicopter, I did do a full battery test run outside with my 8006 helicopter anchored down to a turn table. Well wouldn’t you know it after about 1 minute of running the simulated flight the helicopter’s power just totally stopped. To get the helicopter running again I had to push the throttle joystick all the way to the off position and then reapply the throttle again to get the helicopter running. Of course after another minute of running the helicopter the power shut down again and I had to be reset the transmitter once again by using the throttle joystick. One the third try the helicopter did run without any cutouts until the battery went low. I will be trying another test run later today.

Ray
'

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. My new board has not had one cut out and I run 3 batteries right in a row.. with the only down time being to replace it. 20+ flights now for full duration without a single loss of signal. Are you running the 35mhz or 27? I can send you the link to where I got my board from. It was bought within the US and requires you to solder the wire leads for the motors but i have not had one issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27MHz-QS8006...item3a7a5a7786
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi helicrapter,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I doubt I’ll buy any more PCB boards for my 8006 helicopter (27mhz system). My 8006 has been cutting out since it was new (3rd flight) and the problem has become rather costly and unfixable so far.

I want to mention too that I just tried another anchored down flight run with my 8006 and this time the helicopter didn’t have one power cutout. I did try something different for this flight test and its kind of given me something to think about, but I doubt it helps.
The real test though is to fly the helicopter, but its just been far too windy in my area lately to fly the 8006.

Ray
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:35 AM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
New video

Hey guys. Ive had some emails from youtube users since I posted my flight video. They had questions about where I got my canopy (which i painted obviously) and how to mod the tail...

Its all silly stuff we already all know here.. but for anyone new such as onytay it might be slightly helpful. I have included a link in the video where you can find the tiger moth blades for about a dollar within the US.

Just describes the paint, tail mod, and weighting the nose.

QS8006 modifications (Paint, tail rotor, and weighted nose) (10 min 29 sec)
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi everyone,

I deleted the original post that I had posted here yesterday.

Reason; The New 8006 PCB board that I had posted about yesterday was apparently malfunctioning and will try to get it replaced with a new one.

Ray
Last edited by Pilot Ray; Dec 24, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have to wonder why screw kits still aren’t available on eBay for the 8006 and 8005 helicopters. I think it would be a great thing to be able to replace the occasional lost screws or damaged screws on the Qs helicopters. If screw kits ever would become available, I think it would be great if the screw kits not only contained the stock size screws, but also contained a few slightly larger screws so that the occasional stripped out screw hole can be made to work again, also contained extra main motor screw, extra tail motor screw and a couple extra screws for the blade grips and blade pivots. I have a feeling a lot of G.T Model helicopter owners out there would really like the idea to be able to buy replacement screws for their G.T Model helicopters.

Ray
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
23 Posts
raj1

Quote:
Hi everyone,
I have posted a couple of photo’s of my Qs8005 helicopter showing what it looks like after I lowered the B blade holder. The one photo shows a close up of the new spacer I made for under the B blade holder on the outer rotor shaft. It also shows a thick plasic tube I made for above the blade holder to cover the old screw hole and to strengthen the outer rotor shaft tube some. Just below the rotor shaft and on the side of the frame you will see the plastic pin mounts for the body / canopy of which I switched around (put left one on right side, and right one on left side) so it would lower the body shell down about 10 to 12 mm.
Also, Although it is hard to see in the photo, the photo also shows the very thin plastic shims I made and put under the pivot bushing flange (shim is located between little bushing flange and the aluminum part of the blade grip) so as to remove any play on the main blade pivots.

Ray
Ray, where did you purchase the larger tail rotar "power blde" to replace the original smaller one? Do you have the part number for it? Did you still have to cut and paste to the shaft end of the original? On a different note I am thinking of buying QS8006-2 the latest model on the market. It comes with a standard 14.8v 1500mAh lithium battery which ensures a flying time of 10 minutes. Another blogger on a separate string has quoted replacing this with a more powerful (200gr heavier though) 4000mAh battery for which he purchased a heavier duty charger as well which is now providing him a more enjoyable 30 minutes of flight time. At what additional cost he fails to mention. Being an enhtusiastic flyer I seek your advise in this regard before placing an order. Alternatively, I was going to purchase 2 additional standard batteries at approximately $20 per battery including postage as this too would give me a 30 minute flight time even though I will have to replace batteries at 10 minute intervals! Thanking you in anticipation of your reply.

raj
raj1 is offline Find More Posts by raj1
Last edited by raj1; Dec 30, 2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Dec 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

I have the 3.5channel 42” long G.T Model Qs8005 helicopter that I’ve been flying since last winter (2010) and I was wondering if anyone else out there has been flying this big, easy to fly coaxial helicopter. Over the past year I have put around 150 flights on my Qs8005 helicopter and the Qs8005 helicopter has been very interesting and fun to fly.
I have learned a lot about my 8005 helicopter this past year and wanted to post on the RC forum to see if anyone else has been flying the Qs8005 helicopter. Although I’m just a private RC flyer who really likes flying the Qs8005 helicopter (and RC airplanes), I thought I would try this post about the Qs8005 helicopter. It would be great to hear from other Qs8005 flyers about their Qs8005 helicopter experiences, modifications tried, camera mounting ideas, upgrade ideas, etc..

Ray

PS. I was thinking about posting a kind of mini review and a list of some tips and suggestions on the 8005 helicopter (also have a couple of modifications for the 8005), but I didn’t want to create a long post up front right at this time. I wanted to wait to see if my initial post generates any interest on the Qs8005 first. If the thread generates some interest, I will try to add them here too. I don’t plan on posting a lot, but I will check back occasionally and post whenever I can.

Below is some technical information I compiled on the 3.5 channel 42” GT Model Qs8005 helicopter.
Note; The information below should be pretty accurate, but if anything needs changed or updated, I will update the information as it comes along.

Helicopter name --------------------------------- Qs8005 helicopter (2011 model)
Helicopter type ---------------------------------- Fixed pitch, coaxial type (dual counter rotating main blades). The helicopter has a horizontal type tail rotor (blade).
Helicopter manufacture ------------------------- G.T Model toy factory
Number of control channel ---------------------- 3.5 channel (the ½ channel is used to control the LED lights)
Manufacture Website --------------------------- http://www.gt-model.cn/Eng/product.asp?page=2&qst=18
Helicopter’s flying weight ------------------------- 930g or 32.8 ounces (2.05 lbs.) (This is factory rated weight and I believe this weight does includes the Li-Po battery, but I will change the flying weight specification if I hear otherwise)
Helicopter length -------------------------------- 105cm or 41.3 inches (referred to as 42 inch helicopter in USA)
Helicopter height -------------------------------- 36cm or 14.1 inches
Helicopter main blade rotating diameter -------- 59cm or 23.2 inches diameter, (Note; There are some new G.T. blades sold on eBay that are 5mm longer per blade and increase blade rotating diameter to around 23.6 inches)
Helicopter main motors ------------------------- (2) powerful 380 brush type motors
Helicopter tail motor ----------------------------- brush type (size currently not known)
Helicopter rear tail blade rotating diameter ----- around 5.75 inches
Helicopter Battery --------------------------------11.1 volt 1500 mah Li-Po battery
Average Run time -------------------------------- around 8 minutes.
Battery charger ----------------------------------- Balanced type battery charger (will charge depleted battery in 4 hours)
LED lights ----------------------------------------- (12) led in canopy/ body shell and (2) led on tail of helicopter
Gyro type ------------------------------------------ Gyro is electronic type and is on receiver board, (works great)
Types of bearing used on rotor shafts ------------ (4) micro ball bearing, (Very friction free and reliable)
Main gears ----------------------------------------- made of plastic (very durable and is wear resistant)
Main frame ----------------------------------------- made of aluminum (Nice quality aluminum)
Body shell ------------------------------------------ made of very strong hard plastic (Body shell can withstand heavy crashes extremely well)
Frame blocks, blade grips (holders), connector buckles, etc, ------------------- made of strong durable plastic
Main Blades -------------------------------------- made of strong, flexible plastic. Resists chipping and breakage very well considering the forces involved.
Tail Rotor Blade ----------------------------------- made of plastic (pretty durable)
Tail Boom and support tubes ---------------------- made of aluminum (Nice quality aluminum)
Transmitter ----------------------------------------- 27 mhz AM frequency (transmitter uses (8) AA batteries)
Transmitter channels ------------------------------ 3.5 channel (The ½ channel is used for turning the LED lights on and off. The LED lights are controlled with a press button that is located at the top (right side) of the transmitter).
Transmitter control distance ---------------------- Factory rated up to 100 meter, or 328 feet
Transmitter control Height ------------------------ Factory rated up to 50 meter, or 164 feet
Number of trim buttons on transmitter ----------- (1) working trim button only - the trim button is used to adjust gyro of which helps keep the helicopter straight while hovering. Once adjusted while flying, the gyro works very well and does a pretty nice job of keeping helicopter pointed straight.
Note; The transmitter also has (1) slider button under the left side joystick (throttle) that is used for selecting lower power and high power for controlling full motor power of the helicopter. The lower power setting is used to limit the power and speed of the helicopter while learning to fly the helicopter. Once familiar with flying the helicopter, the higher power setting should be used for best flying results.
Transmitter Joysticks ------------------------- The left side joystick is used for throttle control > (has true progressive modulation and works great).
The right side joystick is used for turning left / right and for going forwards / backwards > (does not use true progressive modulation like the throttle control, but rather is controlled by 5 or 6 independent different speed setting through out the joystick’s full range movement).
8005’s Total Main blade thrust ------------------ (no factory listed specification) Rough estimate - about 48 ounces (3lbs). Please see more information in the next paragraph down
8005’s useable flying thrust --------------- (no factory listed specification). Rough estimate - around 12 to 16 ounces
(Note; I got these figures by seeing if the 8005 could lift an 11 ounce payload off the ground, and it did, but not with a lot of power left in reserve. By doing this test I was able to make a rough guess on the helicopter’s actual usable flying thrust and I figured a good guess on the helicopter’s usable flying thrust would be somewhere around 12 to 16 ounces. In simple terms, this means it would take somewhere around 12 to 16 ounces of weight to stall the helicopter and keep it from lifting from the ground. Please note though that these numbers do not include the overall total thrust that is actually lifting the 2.05 lb helicopter off the ground, so the overall total main blade thrust is probably around 48 ounces (3 lbs) of total thrust).
I want to mention too that the thrust figures I have listed here should only be used to give a basic idea of the helicopter’s total thrust and lifting power. In the future I can readjust these numbers better as more precise testing is done.
Payload weight I tested with my Qs8005 ---------------- 5.5 ounces
I did several flights with my Qs8005 helicopter carrying a 5.5 ounce payload weight and found that the Qs8005 was able to handle this heavier payload weight rather easily. The 8005 could lift and fly around with this payload weight using around 50 to 60 percent throttle. It should be noted that I kept the flights much shorter when flying with this extra payload weight so as to keep from excessively heating up the motors on the helicopter.
8005’s wind flying capabilities ---------------------- Calm air is best. The Qs8005 can also be flown in slight air movements once familiar with the helicopter. The 8005 has excellent stability and pretty good handling even in stronger moving air or slight breezes, but it should be noted though that with stock tail rotor setup, The 8005’s forward moving power is a bit tame and anything stronger than a very light breeze can stall the helicopter’s forward movement.
8005’s average top speed ---------------------- around 15 mph in calm air. (Speed is estimated, but should be pretty close)
Hi Ray,

I refer to your posting further down re a larger tail rotor blade. Where did you purchase the larger tail rotor "power blade" to replace the original smaller one? Do you have the part number for it? Did you still have to cut and paste to the shaft end of the original? ON A DIFFERENT NOTE I am thinking of buying QS8006-2 the latest model on the market. It comes with a standard 14.8v 1500mAh lithium battery with charging time of 3 hrs with the standard charger. This ensures a flying time of 10 minutes before being recharged. Another blogger on a separate string has quoted replacing this with a more powerful (0.2 Kg heavier though) 4000mAh battery for which he purchased a heavier duty charger. This apparently now provides him a more enjoyable 30 minutes of continuous flying time. At what additional cost he fails to mention. You being an experienced and enthusiastic flyer, I seek your advice in this regard before placing an order. Alternatively, I was going to purchase 2 additional standard batteries at approximately $20 per battery including postage as this too would give me a total 30 minute flight time having to replace batteries at 10 minute intervals though! This is bearable without having to compromise the performance of the chopper with an extra 0.2 Kg of dead weight as I intend mounting a light weight wide angle camera as well. Any advice on a suitable camera and means of mounting would be welcome too. Thanking you in anticipation of your reply.

raj
raj1 is offline Find More Posts by raj1
Last edited by raj1; Dec 30, 2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:40 PM
Australia, NSW, Armidale
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Hi everyone,
I have to wonder why screw kits still aren’t available on eBay for the 8006 and 8005 helicopters. I think it would be a great thing to be able to replace the occasional lost screws or damaged screws on the Qs helicopters. If screw kits ever would become available, I think it would be great if the screw kits not only contained the stock size screws, but also contained a few slightly larger screws so that the occasional stripped out screw hole can be made to work again, also contained extra main motor screw, extra tail motor screw and a couple extra screws for the blade grips and blade pivots. I have a feeling a lot of G.T Model helicopter owners out there would really like the idea to be able to buy replacement screws for their G.T Model helicopters.

Ray
Hi Ray this site has screw packs for all Gt models and they accept paypal as well http://www.detelex.com/rc-helicopter...-and-parts.htm cheers and have a happy new year
RCMad39 is offline Find More Posts by RCMad39
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj1 View Post
Ray, where did you purchase the larger tail rotar "power blde" to replace the original smaller one? Do you have the part number for it? Did you still have to cut and paste to the shaft end of the original? On a different note I am thinking of buying QS8006-2 the latest model on the market. It comes with a standard 14.8v 1500mAh lithium battery which ensures a flying time of 10 minutes. Another blogger on a separate string has quoted replacing this with a more powerful (200gr heavier though) 4000mAh battery for which he purchased a heavier duty charger as well which is now providing him a more enjoyable 30 minutes of flight time. At what additional cost he fails to mention. Being an enhtusiastic flyer I seek your advise in this regard before placing an order. Alternatively, I was going to purchase 2 additional standard batteries at approximately $20 per battery including postage as this too would give me a 30 minute flight time even though I will have to replace batteries at 10 minute intervals! Thanking you in anticipation of your reply.

raj
Hi raj,
Currently there are 2 versions of the G.T Model Qs8006 helicopters, the original version Qs8006 and the new version Qs8006. The new version Qs8006 helicopters are pretty easy to identify since they have the shorter length side plate frame (also a noticeable U notch on the side plate frame by lower gear) and have the X shaped cross-member on the legs of the landing skids.
The Qs8006-2 is pretty much original style 8006 with aluminum side plates and battery in front, but comes in a shorter, slightly wider box for easier carrying and transporting.

About making a larger tail blade for the tail rotor of the 8006 helicopter - I used a 9x7 propeller from a Tiger Moth Biplane. (It’s the same propeller as the ones found on the 3D GWS 350 Biplanes).
I have a post on page 2 (post 29) and it explains how I built the larger tail blade for my helicopters.

In post 789 above Helicrapter’s posted a nice video showing the Tiger moth blades and a place of where to buy the Tiger Moth propellers for less than $1.50 each.

About the Qs8006 battery flight time - I think the realistic flight time to expect when using the stock Lithium battery is about 6 to 6 1/2 minutes of flying time. When flying my 8006 I get right around 6 minutes of flight time with the stock battery. I haven’t really heard of anyone getting 10 minutes of flying time when using the stock battery.

About whether to buy two stock 8006 Lithium batteries or buy one bigger mah Li-Po battery. I don’t really have advise on the batteries since I’m still using the stock battery and haven‘t tried any others yet.

Ray
Last edited by Pilot Ray; Dec 31, 2012 at 08:42 PM.