HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:37 PM
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined Feb 2012
104 Posts
I'm hedging to a bad battery, fraws. My charger has both the red and green lights, and the red one goes out after the battery is fully charged - usually around 3 hours or so. I had a new battery go bad after only a few flights, and the charger would indicate a full charge after about 2 hours, but yet only a scant 2 minutes of full power when connected. If you flew the heli without charging the battery first, it's possible that those cells are now fried... try a new battery and see what happens.
letterman7 is offline Find More Posts by letterman7
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
104 Posts
Two more reasons for possible signal drops, in addition to the poor soldering: LED EMF interference and a motor going bad. I had put the heli on hold for a bit since i was fed up tightening the lower gear screws. I solved that with a little bit of threadlocker, and in a fit of "midnight madness" put on a couple of LED's left over from one of my other heli's, now long gone. All they are are the white "headlight" LEDs under the nose - I have one pointing back under the tail and one under the rotors so I can see the rotor plane in the evenings now. Anyway.. took it out for a test hover and the heli cut out almost immediately about 10' off the ground. Fortunately it was over a very large decorative grass, so it plunged in relatively unharmed. I thought. Set it up again and the lower blades no longer spun - I thought I stripped the gear. Next day took it all apart (which enabled me to really re-set the lower gear on the shaft) but the upper gear was fine.. just no juice to the motor. Hmm.. jumped the motor leads and all was well... maybe the connection was bad.
Reset the connection tightly and all was well. Ok, took it back outside and up it went and immediately lost signal. One more crash into the grass, a reset and I pulled the additional LED leads off. Try it again, and the heli hovered just fine and flew until the battery wore down. Hmmm....

Went out tonight for another flight and bam - lost signal again, even though the LEDs were not connected. One more crash, this time onto the driveway, and again, no lower blade movement. One more test with switching the leads and driving the motor directly revealed that it was the motor all along - it simply stopped working. New ones are on order...

If problems persist, that will be the end if this heli. Someone can have it for parts!
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi Rick,
I know the feeling, that cutting out problem has been the number one main problem with my helicopter and can be quite frustrating. For me 7 times out of 10 the helicopter suffers damage due to the power cutting out without warning. I also can’t believe the luck with how your 8006’s motor just up and quit running without warning while flying. No doubt about it, G.T Model really needs to use a more powerful longer distance 2.4 Ghz radio system with a more robust PCB and use brushless motors (especially on the tail motor) on the 8006 helicopters.

Well depending on the weather, I should have my Qs8006 up and running again in a couple days or so. I will finally get to try the new PCB board /receiver and see if it stops the random power cut-out problem. I am hoping it helps, but if it doesn‘t help and the helicopter falls from the sky again, I will probably be forced to shelve my helicopter. I would then just wait to see if a new updated radio system ever becomes available for the QS8006 helicopter.

Ray
Pilot Ray is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Ray
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
104 Posts
Well.. at least I get to start somewhat fresh. I have two new gearsets since I thought that the lower gear was initially stripped. Black gears instead of white, so they must be from the new model. The motors are ordered; now I've got a new pcb on order as well, as my cat decided that the antenna wire and the power wires made a good chew toy overnight. If she had chewed through both power wires (still connected to the battery) she might have had a rude shock...

I'll have to see which model pcb shows up. I really hate soldering wires on stuff that small.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
Replacement parts in USA ?

Hi All I am new to this and was wondering if there is somewhere in the USA
we can order replacement parts for this chopper? I would hate to have to
wait another 22 days for some parts! Thanks.
fraws is offline Find More Posts by fraws
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Mar 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Ray View Post
Hi Rick,
I know the feeling, that cutting out problem has been the number one main problem with my helicopter and can be quite frustrating. For me 7 times out of 10 the helicopter suffers damage due to the power cutting out without warning. I also can’t believe the luck with how your 8006’s motor just up and quit running without warning while flying. No doubt about it, G.T Model really needs to use a more powerful longer distance 2.4 Ghz radio system with a more robust PCB and use brushless motors (especially on the tail motor) on the 8006 helicopters.

Well depending on the weather, I should have my Qs8006 up and running again in a couple days or so. I will finally get to try the new PCB board /receiver and see if it stops the random power cut-out problem. I am hoping it helps, but if it doesn‘t help and the helicopter falls from the sky again, I will probably be forced to shelve my helicopter. I would then just wait to see if a new updated radio system ever becomes available for the QS8006 helicopter.

Ray
I know why your heli cuts out. It's the 2 Main power transistors. They overheat (Very hot but not enough to burn out) and you get intermitten power cutouts to the main motors (I couldn't touch them after just a few min of running), as you can see in my pic I have fitted higher amp ones (Each can handle up to 33 amps now) and heatsinks too, so far I have had no cutouts, also I have fitted a larger battery (heli is balanced perfectly now), and fitted the middle tail motor too.. Here I go to FLY...But Before that I have to extend the battery tray and made the balance leads longer, so I can charge up the battery in the heli....
Mike..

Mike..
hooleydog is offline Find More Posts by hooleydog
Last edited by hooleydog; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraws View Post
Hi All I am new to this and was wondering if there is somewhere in the USA
we can order replacement parts for this chopper? I would hate to have to
wait another 22 days for some parts! Thanks.
Hi fraws,
I have seen at least 2 sellers of QS parts on eBay that are located in USA. When I buy my helicopter parts though, I tend to buy from who ever has the lowest price at the time with free shipping, but then I have other RC planes to keep me occupied while waiting for the new parts. Generally though parts bought in the USA usually only take about 5 to 10 working days (Sundays aren‘t counted) to receive them. Usually when I buy parts from China I generally receive them within 10 to 15 working days (Sundays aren‘t counted). One time though I did receive parts from China in a record fast 7 working days, and also one time just recently was the slowest at about 18 working days due to being held for 12 days straight at the New York shipping hub. Now today I just received some new parts from China and they came thru the Chicago shipping hub and it only took 12 days to receive them from China.

Ray
Last edited by Pilot Ray; Oct 06, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooleydog View Post
I know why your heli cuts out. It's the 2 Main power transistors. They overheat (Very hot but not enough to burn out) and you get intermitten power cutouts to the main motors (I couldn't touch them after just a few min of running), as you can see in my pic I have fitted higher amp ones (Each can handle up to 33 amps now) and heatsinks too, so far I have had no cutouts, also I have fitted a larger battery (heli is balanced perfectly now), and fitted the middle tail motor too.. Here I go to FLY...But Before that I have to extend the battery tray and made the balance leads longer, so I can charge up the battery in the heli....
Mike..

Mike..
Hi Mike,
Great information. If you can get at least 10 flights or more without any power cut-outs, thatís definitely progress over my 8006 cutting-out every two or 3 flights.
Hopefully the newer updated PCB board I put on my 8006 will help. Today I received some parts that I needed for my 8006 and I should know something in a week or so.
Also, about the larger battery, Iím curious to hear how much longer the larger battery extends your 8006 helicopterís flight times

Ray
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
Well.. at least I get to start somewhat fresh. I have two new gearsets since I thought that the lower gear was initially stripped. Black gears instead of white, so they must be from the new model. The motors are ordered; now I've got a new pcb on order as well, as my cat decided that the antenna wire and the power wires made a good chew toy overnight. If she had chewed through both power wires (still connected to the battery) she might have had a rude shock...

I'll have to see which model pcb shows up. I really hate soldering wires on stuff that small.
Hi Rick,
Sounds like your cat really likes the 8006.

Also, I just received a newer version outer rotor shaft gear for the Qs8006 helicopter. The new gear is much better and beefier than the original gears. I have posted some information and photoís in my next post down.

Ray
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi everyone,
Hereís some great news about a much needed new updated part for the Qs8006 helicopter. I received some new parts from China and I was amazed at what I found when I opened up the shipping package. It now appears that G.T Model toy company has begun to sell (2) new thicker size of updated main gears for the outer rotor shaft on the Qs8006 helicopter. Although I didnít realize it until today, but apparently there are (2) new updated main gears that are thicker made than the original Qs8006 gears.

Below I have listed the thickness measurements of the (3) different 8006 gears;

1] My original 8006ís main gear measures in at 3mm thick. This same size and thickness gear is currently on both the QS8005 and Qs8006 helicopters.

2] One version of the new updated main gear measures in at 4mm thick. The extra 1mm of thickness adds about a 33 percent increase in gear strength and gear tooth grip over the original 3mm size main gear. This gear is heavy duty compared to the original main gear.

3] One version of the new updated main gear measures in at 5mm thick. The extra 2mm adds about a 66 percent increase in gear strength and gear tooth grip over the original 3mm main gear. This main gear is super heavy duty compared to the original main gear

The new thicker updated gears will now add more tooth mesh against the brass gear of the main motor resulting in a much more sturdy gear engagement (now much less chance of gear tooth slippage and should help reduced gear tooth strip out). Also too, since the overall plastic of the new updated gears is thicker, the gears hubís is much more encased in solid plastic and should greatly lessen the chance of the main gear hub slipping on the outer shaftís spline. Also too, since the new updated gears are thicker and studier, the new gears should also rotate more truer with less up and down gear run out.

So from what I can see, the (2) new thicker updated main gears is a great improvement and should really help to take advantage of the 8006ís strong 14.8 volt power output. The new updated main gears should really help cut down on the rather easy gear stripping that sometimes can occur during a minor tip over or whenever the main blades hit something during lower throttle settings. Also too, a side benefit of the new sturdier main gears will be a kind of performance boost for the 8006 helicopter since it should eliminate any gear tooth slippage during full power takeoffs, and should eliminate main gear on rotor shaft slippage that sometimes can start occurring after a harder blade hit. Generally early signs of the gear on shaft slippage failure is that the helicopter begins to develop a tendency to want to rotate to the right and can have sluggish climb speeds whenever applying heavy throttle quickly, especially when doing fast takeoffs or fast climbing).

I should also mention too that when I received my new update main gear and new outer rotor shaft, I was happy to see that they were shipped with the gear off the outer shaft so as to lessen the chance of shipping damage. I personally like receiving the upper gear this way since I was able to make sure there wasn't any flashing particles left in the gear's hub after it was finished at the factory. By being able to check the parts first while apart helps to make sure that gear will align and bottom out squarely as possible on the end of the rotor shaft and that the rotor shaft will press 100 percent all the way into the gear's hub for maximum grip.

When it comes to buying thicker made lower main gears for the 8006, I am hoping that G.T Model has started to sell them too since the lower main gears tend to be even more prone to gear tooth slippage and gear tooth strip out damage than even the upper main gear. I kind of figure that if the upper main gear is now being made thicker, then most likely there are some thicker lower gears out there now too.

I have posted 2 photos below of the new update QS8006 main gears for the outer rotor shaft.

The 1st photo shows all 3 sizes of Qs8006 main gears close together. The original 3mm main gear is on left, a super heavy duty 5mm main gear is in the middle, and a heavy duty 4mm main gear on the right. Note that the updated main gears are much beefier than the original main gear and that the new gears have less hub collar since the gearís inner hub is better incased in solid plastic of which will result in a better grip on the rotor shaft spline.

The 2nd photo shows example of how updated gears and shafts were shipped to lessen chance of damaged during shipping. Although its hard to see in the photo, the new main gear (the 5mm gear is shown in photo) does have slight spline groves already cut into the inner hub. The hub spline groves could have been made either from when shaft was removed for shipping or possibly were machine stamped in at factory for better grip.

Ray
Last edited by Pilot Ray; Oct 08, 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Mar 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Hi everyone,
Here’s some great news about a much needed new updated part for the QS8006 helicopter. I received some new parts from China yesterday and I was amazed at what I found in my new parts shipping package. It now appears that G.T Model toy company has begun to sell a new stronger made plastic main gear for the outer rotor shaft of the QS8006 helicopter. The new plastic main gear is now made 1mm thicker resulting in wider gear teeth than the original main gears. The original main gears are currently 4mm wide while the new updated main gear is now 5mm wide. Although the extra 1mm increase in gear thickness doesn’t sound like much, the new increase in gear thickness should add about a 25 percent increase in gear strength and gear tooth grip. The new updated gear now meshes more gear tooth against the brass gear on the main motor making for a much sturdier gear engagement (now much less chance of gear tooth slippage and stripping). Also too, since the overall plastic on the new updated gear is 1mm thicker, the gear’s hub is 1mm more encased in solid plastic so that the gear will grip onto the spline of the outer shaft more firmly, greatly lessening the chance of the plastic gear slipping on the outer shaft’s spline. Also too, since the new updated gear is 1mm thicker and is much studier and rigid, the new updated gear should now rotate truer with less up and down gear run out.
So from what I can see, the new updated main gear is a great improvement and should really help to take advantage of the 8006’s strong 14.8 volt power. The new updated main gear should really help cut down on the rather easy gear stripping that sometimes can occur during a minor tip over or whenever the main blades hit something at lower throttle settings. Also too, a real side benefit of the new sturdier main gear will be a kind of performance boost for the 8006 helicopter since it should eliminate any momentary gear tooth slippage during full power takeoffs, and should eliminate any main gear on rotor shaft slippage that can sometimes start occurring after a harder blade hit (early signs of spline slippage is the helicopter tends to want to rotate to the right and has sluggish climb speeds whenever applying heavy throttle quickly for fast takeoffs or fast climbing).

I should also mention too that when I received my new update main gear and new outer rotor shaft, I was happy to see that they were shipped with the gear off the outer shaft so as to lessen the chance of shipping damage. I personally like receiving the upper gear this way since I was able to check for any plastic particles left in the gear's hub that may of been missed by the factory during the de-flashing process. By checking the parts first helped to make sure of best possible alignment and that the rotor shaft would press 100 precent into the gear's hub.

Although I haven’t seen any thicker lower gears available yet (and I’m just guessing), I am hoping that G.T Model is selling a new updated thicker lower main gear too since the lower main gear is more prone to gear tooth slippage and more prone to gear tooth strip out damage. I kind of figure if the upper gear is now being made thicker, then most likely there are thicker lower gears out there now too. I’m really looking forward to buying one of those too if made available for the 8006.

I have posted 2 photos below of the new update outer rotor shaft gear.

The bottom left photo shows the thicker updated gear on the left and the original gear on the right. Note that the new 1mm thicker gear looks much beefier than the original gear and that the new gear has less collar showing since the gear’s hub is better incased in solid plastic for better rotor shaft spline grip.

The bottom right photo shows the updated gear and shaft as received (not put together). Although its hard to see in the photo, but the inner hub of the plastic main gear does appear to have some very small spline groves already cut in.

Ray
Thats great to hear Ray. But where did you buy them from, so I can order them..

Mike..
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Mar 2004
224 Posts
Quote:
Hi Mike,
Great information. If you can get at least 10 flights or more without any power cut-outs, that’s definitely progress over my 8006 cutting-out every two or 3 flights.
Hopefully the newer updated PCB board I put on my 8006 will help. Today I received some parts that I needed for my 8006 and I should know something in a week or so.
Also, about the larger battery, I’m curious to hear how much longer the larger battery extends your 8006 helicopter’s flight times

Ray
Ray. My heli flys a lot better with the 3600 mAH battery (more oomph now) and as for the flight time. Almost 30 min flying.. (Heli is perfectly balanced too)

Oh and heli didn't cutout at all during the 30 min flight.. (The 2 mosefet didn't get as Hot as with the lower amp ones) as they rated under 15 amps ( I did look them up)

Mike..
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Hi everyone,
I didnít realize until today when I started to work on my Qs8006 helicopter that I actually had received (2) totally new updated main gears for the outer rotor shaft. I just realized that today when working on my 8006 helicopter that the original 8006 main gear is only 3mm thick. So actually there are (2) new thicker updated gears; one is a 4mm thick gear, and one is a 5mm thick gear. Since I posted my above post a bit hastily before checking everything out, I just heavily re-edited my last post and also replaced 1st photo in the last post so as to show all three main gears close together for good size comparison.

Ray
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
New to forums (not to flying)

Hey guys. Ive been looking into something that looks good and flys like a blimp for my wife to learn to fly.. I started looking into the 8006 and decided to order it. I just got it today and decided I might just keep it for myself (although I am used to much more advanced flyers). After reading a few posts.. it seems I have the updated version with the battery box located centered under the main blades. From what I can tell (and have seen).. the 8006 is more of a "hover craft," than a real flyer. How does the battery resting center mass compare to the earlier version where it is nested closer to the front? I would imagine the previous version would have a faster forward speed and fly better into the wind. I was thinking about doing the "old clay in the nose," to compensate for the center battery in this version.

Also when resting on a flat service (heli turned off), the rear vert stabilizer (under the tail prop) sits on the ground. The front of the landing gear is slightly off the ground and it rests on the tail boom stabilizer. Is this normal.. because with a little bit of weight on the nose it balances on the gear and not on the tail. I attached a pic to show how it rests on the tail normally. It will not balance on a table or a ledge of the tail hangs off. It will tip back and fall unless the tail is touching something solid.

I dont consider myself an expert pilot, but I am pretty diverse in the heli scene. Although I made a rookie mistake when unboxing this beast... I was anxious and opened it in poor lighting... which lead to me cutting the antenna off thinking it was a wire-tie wrap that was securing it into the box.

I re soldered the wire in 2 places (i know, I know.. I really hacked it).. and used my secret trick for light gauge wire insulation.. better known as hot glue. I'll probably go to lowes tomorrow and get a new length of wire and a heat-wrap to do it right.

Anyway.. I'd love some info to my questions.. and thanks in advance

helicrapter is offline Find More Posts by helicrapter
Last edited by helicrapter; Oct 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:15 PM
Joined Feb 2011
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooleydog View Post
Ray. My heli flys a lot better with the 3600 mAH battery (more oomph now) and as for the flight time. Almost 30 min flying.. (Heli is perfectly balanced too)

Oh and heli didn't cutout at all during the 30 min flight.. (The 2 mosefet didn't get as Hot as with the lower amp ones) as they rated under 15 amps ( I did look them up)

Mike..

Hi Mike,
Wow, close to 30 minutes of flight time sounds incredible to me. I would be happy to just to get 10 minutes of continuous flight time out of my Qs8006 helicopter. I think the most flight time Iíve ever gotten with my Qs8006 was just a little over 6 minutes.

About the updated gears, I bought them on eBay. I just noticed that the lower main gears are also upgraded to the thicker size too. Hereís the seller I bought them from and he sells the gears individually or as a kit ;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Upper-Lower-...item4abbfb1136

Ray