There is one in my office,try to get it outdoor in a sunning day to fly it,
Aaron qin is offline Find More Posts by Aaron qin
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:39 AM
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined Feb 2012
104 Posts
Oh, and Ray, yeah, from the factory the antenna was wrapped around the landing skids. That was fine until I had a crash that broke the skids.. Instead of ordering a new one I fashioned a cross brace from aluminum. Works ok, but I do need to order a new skid assembly. I had thought about running the aerial through a thin plastic straw (like my 9100 does) and fastening the straw under the tail boom with some small zip-ties. At least it would be electrically isolated from the rest of the heli.. we'll see. Nice to see where getting a little action with this thread, though!
letterman7 is offline Find More Posts by letterman7
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by letterman7 View Post
That holds your balance bar in place. They can be difficult the first time. The only way I can get mine out is to take a small nail about the same diameter and lightly tap it on the end of the balance bar pivot with a light hammer. Not kidding. I've gotten to the point where I can secure the top of the blade holder with my left hand and hold the nail with two fingers on the pivot while tapping with my right hand. It'll take some good raps, but you just want to get it started out of the plastic. Once you have 1/8" showing you should be able to grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Rick
oh ok, let me try to find a nail that skinny and i will give it a shot!!
MDflyGuy is online now Find More Posts by MDflyGuy
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin View Post
There is one in my office,try to get it outdoor in a sunning day to fly it,
If you're ceilings are high enough, get it hovering in the office! Watch papers fly everywhere off people's desks!
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Hi Rick,

Ok, I see why you were doing it that way. The more ideas everyone see’s here, the better.
The antenna in the straw idea never occurred to me and may work (I use to have a Shun-da Wild Hawk airplane that had the antenna wire mounted that way) . If you would decide to try that, you could even put little pieces of rubber at the zip-ties between the straw and the aluminum boom if you had to. Also, if you do try it, make sure to first test the helicopter with the transmitter by hand holding the helicopter above your head (or securely anchor it down away from you). If it doesn’t work, you will know immediately since the helicopter will have very delayed reactions and will not respond right to the transmitter.

Looks like the thread is creating some interest, that’s great.

About your broken landing skid (if you meant the aluminum tube), I bad bent one in a hard crash last year. I tried to straighten it and it cracked off. I found that a slightly oversize wooden dowel rod bought at Lowes works great to press fit the aluminum tube's back together (only works on the straight sections though). First use a tapered punch to work the ends of the aluminum tube round again, lightly file the ends smooth. Then just lightly sand a 2" long dowel rod so it will be a tight press in fit into the aluminum tubes. Next push the one end of the dowel rod about 1" into one tube and then push both tubes together. No glue required. Works great.

By the way Rick, wouldn't the Qs8006 blow some books off the desk too. That would be a sight to see.

Ray
Pilot Ray is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Ray
Last edited by Pilot Ray; Apr 05, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
49 Posts
Quote:
That holds your balance bar in place. They can be difficult the first time. The only way I can get mine out is to take a small nail about the same diameter and lightly tap it on the end of the balance bar pivot with a light hammer. Not kidding. I've gotten to the point where I can secure the top of the blade holder with my left hand and hold the nail with two fingers on the pivot while tapping with my right hand. It'll take some good raps, but you just want to get it started out of the plastic. Once you have 1/8" showing you should be able to grab it with a pair of needle nose pliers.

Rick
thanks again ur help worked!!!

Im ready to fly again this weekend (been down a month!!)
MDflyGuy is online now Find More Posts by MDflyGuy
Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Hi MDflyGuy,

Its good to hear that you got your 8006 up and running again. Have fun flying that big helicopter.

Ray
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:06 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
858 Posts
Quote:
If you're ceilings are high enough, get it hovering in the office! Watch papers fly everywhere off people's desks!
LOL,it's a too big tough heli,I can not get it go around in my office.
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 08, 2012, 02:09 AM
China, Guangdong
Joined Oct 2011
858 Posts
Who can post some videos about the 8005 or 8006?
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 08, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Hi Aaron,

The 8006 is much too big to fly indoors in most places. Even my smaller 42” 8005 is too big for that. Last year I hovered my 8005 in a small room, and anything that was lighter in weight than a small book got blown around, including any dust that the Hoover sweeper missed on the carpeted floor

Ray
Old Apr 08, 2012, 01:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron qin View Post
Who can post some videos about the 8005 or 8006?
Do a YouTube search. Plenty of videos for the 8005, not so many for 8006. I've only got a couple of my 8006 flying since I'm really not quite comfortable with flying it quickly yet!
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:31 PM
Darren
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
G'day everyone

Yesterday I tried to meassure the amp draw of the tail motor on my 8006. I'm not sure if it's my multimeter or not but I couldn't get a reading and the motor wouldn't turn with the meter attached. I did however find that the motor is getting 15.5 volts and the battery puts out 16.5 volts, fully charged.
I am a mechanic but electronics is not my strong point, especially with rc stuff so feel free to give advice if any of you know a bit about these systems.
Also it looks like my motor is dying so the 8006 will be off the road until I can get a ducted fan for it.

Darren
Daggy is offline Find More Posts by Daggy
Old Apr 09, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
104 Posts
I think you have to interrupt the power supply by actually cutting into the wire and bridging the wire (+) with the meter as the motor is running to see what the amp draw is. Just bridging the terminals with the meter is essentially shorting the circuit with the meter set on amps; you can do that with it set on volts.
Bummer with the motor, though. The more I read about these cheap "brushed" motors the more I think I'm going to have to keep spares in stock. Some guys with other heli's, like the Double Horse brand, are only getting 20 flights out of the tail rotor motor. Your ducted fan idea: mounted horizontally or vertically? I think... and I'm only guessing.. that you'll only get good results with the fan spinning in the "correct" rotation. I think if it spins backwards it may not draw the same amount of air due to the construction of the duct. Might be an interesting experiment, though!

Rick
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:09 PM
Darren
Joined Mar 2012
27 Posts
Thanks Rick

Yeh I cut the pos wire to connect the meter in line but it wouldn't work.
I'm thinking about mounting the fan under the tail boom and using a swivelling bracket so I can adjust the angle of the fan and find the "sweetspot" if it has one!
Finding a fan with a 15.5v motor might be tricky.

Darren
Daggy is offline Find More Posts by Daggy
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Hi Darren,
About your 8006 motor problem , I was wondering if your 8006 helicopter was sounding different or was acting different?
If I had more info., I do have 2 or 3 ideas about what could be causing the motor problem. Here's one thing I would check first, is to make sure your lower blade holder isn’t slipping on the outer rotor shaft. If it slips, the helicopter will want to keep rotating to the right and it will act like the motor is going bad or is weak and will make a sound like a weed-trimmer spinning a too long of a cutter line. This happened on my 8005 after I took the helicopter apart the first time. This happened because there was too much taper of the screw holes on the outer shaft tube of which allowed the little screws to slip. I guess that when someone at the factory was de-burring the little screw hole‘s, they went too deep and ended up tapering the holes. I did buy a new outer shaft tube (the new one didn’t have the tapers) and it fixed the problem.
I have a couple other ideas about the motor too, but need more info. about how the helicopter is running.

I must say though, the brush motors on my 8005 have been pretty reliable. I did have one motor go bad recently (after 160 flights). The motor was still running great, but the bushing at the gear end of the motor shaft wore out allowing the motor shaft to move around some, and then one day it started to slip on the main gear.

Like Rick was saying though, the brushless motors are the way to go and it would be really great to see them on these big G.T Model helicopters in the near future.

One last thing, I might be asking a dumb question (or maybe I read your post wrong), but when you were checking the power going to the tail motor, did you have the transmitter turned on, apply a little throttle and hold the tail motor’s joystick to full power, and with the helicopter power turned on.. If you didn’t, there wouldn’t be no power going back to the tail motor until everything is turned on. I think you probably did since you mentioned the 15.5 volts and just thought I would ask.
By the way, make sure the main motors are taken off the helicopter before doing the test I just mentioned (for safety reasons). I say this because on my 8005 (maybe the 8006 is different), the main motor wires are soldered onto the receiver board, so the main motors really need to be removed when doing the above mentioned test.

Ray
Last edited by Pilot Ray; Apr 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM.