HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add ailerons or not???
Put Ailerons on 11 47.83%
Keep it stock RES 12 52.17%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:30 AM
Slope,thermal and Scale flying
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Idea
Aileron Allegro-Lite 2m???

G'day guys,

I was just seeing if the Allegro-Lite 2m could become an aileron functional glider if i took out most of the dihedral in the wings and made it similar to the supra dihedral wing

I have been really thinking about it so I thought i would share and see what you guys think. The only thing that i am worried about is that if the airfoil for the Allegro will fly any good with ailerons? Whats you thought guys
chamm37 is offline Find More Posts by chamm37
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Sep 2007
218 Posts
Steve Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Steve Anderson
Last edited by Steve Anderson; Sep 30, 2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,019 Posts
Chamm, Your thinking shows real imagination and creativity. Our sport needs forward thinkers like you. Keep doing it. With that said, I have an Allegro Lite kit that a dear friend gave me. When I finally get around to building it, there is now way on this green earth that I would take a top drawer, high performance, take no prisoners 2 meter sailplane like the Allegro Lite and put ailerons on it.
But, that is just me.

Ok, now all of the rest of you are free to kick my a$$....

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:35 PM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Yes well if i had experience in bagging i would just do the bagged version but i want something unique and built up as well. That is why i was thinking of the Allegro lite and do something with her. I like the thought of ailerons and saying that too i have never really flown a res plane before

In theory it should work in saying all the kinks dont mess it up like what you were saying Steve with the torsional strength of the wing. I might be able to combat this with using whats called laminating film http://nqrc.com/?vp=laminatingfilm30x300
It adds considerable amount of stiffness to a wing and i cover all my combat planes with this stuff and man are they stiff ass and the beauty of this stuff aswell is that it is light

But the main problem would be the wing profile if it will fly any good with ailerons and not as much dihedral in the wing
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:11 PM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
So this is a quick, very quick and accurate drawing... NOT!!! of what i was thinking for the wing.

The first dihedral of the wing will be the centre and on the plans it will be raised 1 inch at each section. The outer pannels will be raised 3 inches i think but dont know if this will be too much. Might even have to go at 3.5 inches
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:24 AM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
What do you guys think?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,484 Posts
chamm37:

Cutting a portion of the wing and hinging it for an aileron, by itself, won't affect the wing performance all that much. The question you have to answer is this: for the weight of the servos and wires, and for the drag of links, what will you gain?

If it's just roll control, I think it will not make much difference in overall performance. You'll be able to roll independently of yaw, but I'm not sure that's critical to soaring performance.

You don't need permission to incorporate ailerons, just a reason. If you are curious, why not build two wings? One with, one without. Compare weights and relative performance.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:42 AM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Curious would be more along the lines of this build here Greg. I was thinking about it today about building the two wings so that i could compare the two when they are done so atleast if the aileron wing doesnt work out i will still have a wing that will

With the spar system i am going to make it a little bit different to the plans. Im not going to be winching it up at all if anything it will be a high start that will be launching it up. I will be mainly throwing it around and using her as a DLG more than anything. So in explaining myself i plan on using 10mm carbon tube for the centre section, 8 mm for the middle and 5mm for the tips. The tubes should be strong enough for the application i need them for, certainly not a 150 pound winch launch

I will be using a bit of carbon on the wing so hopefully it will look sexy and add torsional strength for the ailerons to perform there duties

A idea crossed my mind that would be very cool and expensive. With the balsa sheeting on the LE, just imagine replacing that with a carbon fibre sheet. So instead of cutting the ribs to offset the balsa thickness, cut it to offset the 2k carbon pre fab sheet so all you would have to do is slip it on and glue her onto the ribs I WANTIE!!!
or less expensive way would be light fibreglass or another light fibreglass with 1k carbon toe in the cross weave design I WANTIE TOO!!!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:08 AM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Got all my balsa today now the long process of cutting everything out, ohwell needs to be done but all the effort will be worth it and then on thursday i will go and pick up my carbon for the spar system hmmmmm carbon (drool face)
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:46 AM
украина , чернигов
Joined Feb 2011
9 Posts
Hello! I am for the ailerons, my blog http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=347279
leons is offline Find More Posts by leons
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leons View Post
Hello! I am for the ailerons, my blog http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=347279
Dam it i wanted to be the first one lol well this is good because now i can ask you questions How did she fly just thermal so when you turned the motor off??? i watched the video but couldnt see it very well.

What is your dihedral at?

I made a little 1/4 scale version of it today out of scrap balsa and did it all to spec on the wing. Didnt worry too much about the fuse and everything just wanted to see roughly how the wing went and man she was awesome. For a little glider, into wind and it wasnt light wind either. The best flight was 9.5m its just balsa sheet no airfoil but it was AWESOME

Im going to keep the flap like as if it was a RES glider but just put on ailerons.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
украина , чернигов
Joined Feb 2011
9 Posts
chamm37
I am an English Nesil if you correctly understand the video Allegro flies hovering mode, rather than on the motor
My Allegro weighs 750 grams with 34 dm ploschyadi has nazguzku 22gr/dm and it is very small for the Council of 9.5 m / s, I flew from the comfort of up to 5m / s
Here is my album of Picasso https://picasaweb.google.com/1088602...77642611/YycRK
and here is the soaring flight in the morning
ALLEGRO-FOREVOR-1 (0 min 42 sec)

Allegro without a motor of my friends did, too, for sale with ailerons
allegro_vaenga.wmv (1 min 44 sec)
!
leons is offline Find More Posts by leons
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:57 AM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
She flies beautifully oh i cannot wait to finish mine to get her in the air
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:49 PM
Brazil, MG, Belo Horizonte
Joined Oct 2006
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leons View Post
UAU!

Congratulations, very well done!

I have an Allegro short kit as well as a Bubble dancer short kit too, actually I already built one of each, by the book.

Now you gave me a very good idea, I'll do the same with both!

One question, what motor battery and servos you have? Weight ?

Regards!

André
Jebera is offline Find More Posts by Jebera
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:39 AM
Deception Bay
Joined Jun 2008
637 Posts
This is probably going to sound silly but what is the best way to cut out a round spar hole in the ribs accurately???