HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:49 AM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
DJI Props Really Do Suck -- THEY WILL COST YOU MONEY!

I'd read several times here that the DJI props were bad.. Of course I didn't believe that they could be THAT bad, so I've been running with them anyway. (On my F550 and my XA-Hexa).

- XA Hexa crashed TWICE, both times due to broken prop in mid-air (during descent, suddenly went sideways and fell out of the sky, both times). I'm 90% sure I broke a prop in mid-air on both occasions.

- F550 crashed once, during a wobbly descent, suddenly starting flipping end over end. Definitely broke a prop in mid-air.

Total cost of damage has been well over $500.

Tonight I put Graupner props on my Flamewheel and did some hard/fast descents actually TRYING to get it to crash like I had with my other ones. VERY impressed. Rock solid. Much more stable over all.

I feel so stupid for not listening to the experts here. DJI ought to be ashamed of themselves, quite frankly.

To those who are still running DJI props on your gear... Throw them in the garbage right away. They will cost you a fortune.

By the way, the Graupner's I put on are 11"... which I understand will make me really miserable when it's windy. What will I notice if I go to 10"? What about 9"?
brianshell is offline Find More Posts by brianshell
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:31 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Sep 2008
7,206 Posts
Did you crash before the prop broke in midair. If so so there may have been a crack. I know 2 people who broke them due to overtightening them. I can say that I abuse the heck out of the 8" but dont overtighten them and never had 1 break. When I get a chance I will do the same as I did to this F330 to my F450 w/stock 10" props and try to break the props. Not saying I wont LOL. Maybe the 10" will snap cus the are bigger. If I do I will be sure to post damage pics

DJI F330 ARF Quad/QuadCopter/UAV 4s 850mAh 65c Thunder Power TP Battery (2 min 19 sec)
Z06 Tony is online now Find More Posts by Z06 Tony
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
70 Posts
sounds consistent with the quality of the rest of DJI products.

If you're doing anything other than hovering it'll fall out of the air sooner or later.
FPV Pilot is offline Find More Posts by FPV Pilot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Well Im no expert but Ive got a few quads, 2 Gaui's an xcopter hex, I use a Gaui and the 'X' for video and Photo respectively. I have always considered DJI to be a bit too 'hobby looking, untill I actualy got one. Wow, what have I been doing, the time and money spent getting multis working how i want, I wish I had started with an F330 and NAZA. The build quality is astounding for the money and the electronics are so good when you switch back to the Gaui its like your learning again. Now as a bonus the 150 quid GPS upgrade makes it a complete no brainer. The props are great, dont believe me, or anyone else just order any DJI product, an F330 arm will set you back a couple of quid on the bay, check this stuff out for yourself, these things are on rails when flying and thats the real result of great quality. In case your wondering Im a secondary school teacher from Nottingham with no connection or affiliance with any companys. I only wish this new S800 thing was 500 quid cheaper - if your listening DJI come-on, get it under a grand an youll sell at least one more.
chinholdkid is offline Find More Posts by chinholdkid
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Sep 2006
292 Posts
I had my break on me twice in mid air. They start making noise before they snap. I replace them with APC 10X4.7 and no problems since.
joop1987 is offline Find More Posts by joop1987
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:25 PM
If it ain't broke, fix it.
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Best to avoid cheap Chinese props if you're going to blow hundreds of dollars on an FC. After many, many years in this hobby I've learned to trust APC and Graupner props for these sub 1 kilowatt per motor setups.

DJI's specialty is electronics, not aeronautics. Stick with a vendor who knows that part of the business and has an established track record with props.
Hasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Hasher66
Last edited by Hasher66; Jun 07, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:31 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
the DJI props are just EPP

anything over 1kg need reinforcement either glass fibers or carbon mix

GemFans are $2 but need to be reamed to fit the stupid square key on the DJI motor shaft (not that hard, just gear a $5 prop reamer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinholdkid View Post
Well Im no expert but Ive got a few quads, 2 Gaui's an xcopter hex, I use a Gaui and the 'X' for video and Photo respectively. I have always considered DJI to be a bit too 'hobby looking, untill I actualy got one. Wow, what have I been doing, the time and money spent getting multis working how i want, I wish I had started with an F330 and NAZA. The build quality is astounding for the money and the electronics are so good when you switch back to the Gaui its like your learning again. Now as a bonus the 150 quid GPS upgrade makes it a complete no brainer. The props are great, dont believe me, or anyone else just order any DJI product, an F330 arm will set you back a couple of quid on the bay, check this stuff out for yourself, these things are on rails when flying and thats the real result of great quality. In case your wondering Im a secondary school teacher from Nottingham with no connection or affiliance with any companys. I only wish this new S800 thing was 500 quid cheaper - if your listening DJI come-on, get it under a grand an youll sell at least one more.
this is just plain wrong (the bold underlined part)....

glad you like your flamewheel
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:44 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
the DJI props are just EPP

anything over 1kg need reinforcement either glass fibers or carbon mix

GemFans are $2 but need to be reamed to fit the stupid square key on the DJI motor shaft (not that hard, just gear a $5 prop reamer)

this is just plain wrong (the bold underlined part)....

glad you like your flamewheel
Yep. Four posts total here...and probably does nothing but nervously hover his highly stabilized flamewheel, tail in, the whole time. That's your endorsement for DJI props right there.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:45 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
well i wont make fun of him or discredit his opinion.... he is just wrong

the rest of his post is valuable (with some salt) but the DJI props are total waste of $$.

perhaps the 330 with nothing else on the rig is fine...

but anything that weighs more they fail midflight.

this is not new.... all EPP props suck with anything over 1kg.... just add these to the list
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:56 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
well i wont make fun of him or discredit his opinion.... he is just wrong

the rest of his post is valuable (with some salt) but the DJI props are total waste of $$.

perhaps the 330 with nothing else on the rig is fine...

but anything that weighs more they fail midflight.

this is not new.... all EPP props suck with anything over 1kg.... just add these to the list
Anything above 1 kilowatt, I go with RFM Carbon Fiber. Anything below that, APC and Graupner are very, very reliable. And APC is pretty cheap and universally available here in the US, so there is no point in going with the cheap DJI EPP stuff, unless you don't really know what you are doing.

As for above, the users here can decide who has more credibility, but the evidence is definitely against the secondary school teacher.

But what do I know...he could be a teacher of material science or aerospace engineering in their middle school system...but I highly doubt the UK is that far ahead of us yet.

Edit: And BTW, based on his sentence structure and spelling, it's hard to believe that he's a teacher of anything. And I'm an engineer, with horrible writing skills and horrendous spelling.
Last edited by Hasher66; Jun 07, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:57 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
hey IM A SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHER!

I teach biology
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:13 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
hey IM A SECONDARY SCHOOL TEACHER!

I teach biology
Please don't be mad. I have the greatest respect for middle school teachers. They deal with kids like my 13 yo daughter every day with great commitment, yet still show up for paltry pay and little respect. I wasn't dissing teachers at all.

I'd be mad at that UK teacher for misrepresenting the craft with poor spelling and bad sentence structure. As well as thinking that their career had any bearing on the credibility of their endorsement. Very poorly thought out on their part.

And btw, biology is very hard for someone like me. It's weird and messy. However, it appears that life my depend on Quantum Mechanics much more than anyone ever realized. That makes me happy!
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:39 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
i wasnt really mad hence the and

i teach high school.... mostly freshman (but on summer break now ) 13-15 yearolds
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:47 PM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,241 Posts
I listened to a lot of posts on here that said the 8" props on 4s were good and did not break so I tried them. I made sure they were perfectly balanced and then I just snugged the nut. There is no way I overtightened it. I hovered it around for a couple days in my yard until I had a chance to get to the field. I never even bumped the props on anything. I went to the field to really fly it. I was in manual mode, 4s, 8" props, NO payload, 12 to 15 mph wind and about 1 minute into the flight at about 50'(I guess) and I saw it throw 1 blade and it made it vibrate so bad that it went nuts. A couple seconds later it threw the other half and settled down but I couldn't keep it in the air even in ATTI mode. So as it was descending( moving pretty fast laterally), it clipped the top wire of our barded wire fence. It flipped it and broke an arm and damaged an esc. 1 of the barbs punctured the heatshrink and ripped the capacitor out. I will not use DJI props again.
dfrazier is offline Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:50 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
1,187 Posts
Quote:
i wasnt really mad hence the and

i teach high school.... mostly freshman (but on summer break now ) 13-15 yearolds
My adolescent Tasmanian Devil won't go on break up here for another week, so I'm still good to go for a little bit. 9th grade and the rigors of HS are still another year away for her, and I'm dreading it. All those older boys. Yikes!

Soooo. Are you going to spend your summer doing product reviews for the benefit of all of us here at RCG.

Ya' know. Give back to the community a bit.