HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:22 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Yippee!
Some friends, a plane and a journey

I'd like to share with you why RC soaring is more than just a hobby, but a venue in which to meet and befriend some of the best people out there...

DISCLAIMER! This is more a stream of thought type thing, so please forgive the awkward writing...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who don't know me, my name is Sean and I've been an RCG member for some time now. Always a glider guider, I got back into the sport in 2006 after a 9-10 year absence.

When home back in VA / NC I sold a Riser 78" kit to "some guy" up in Virginia Beach by the RCG Handle of Twizter68, otherwise known as Bill. Little did I know at the time that selling that little balsa kit to some Navy guy would result in gaining a best friend.

Fast forward 6 years...

I've since relocated to Colorado and Bill is out of the Navy in Texas. However through RCG and AT&T, we keep up. For my wife and I, our relocation to Colorado has had it's share of up's and downs, and we're now expecting our first child at the end of May. Suffice to say, even though I've always wanted a Supra for TD, Jr. and other events conspire to keep that from happening for a long, long time.

Unfortunately, as put forward on a thread here, 'ol Twiz is hanging up the radio for a while due to eye trouble. I was shocked to hear the news, but hey, that's life, we'll still be pals even if I'm not destroying him in the landing circle. (right?)

What I wasn't ready for was the phone call I got from Twiz a few weeks ago. The long and short of it was that his Supra needed a home and he wanted it to live with me. Even though it's just a plane to some people, considering our situation up here as of late, it was a wonderful surprise and most unexpected; to say the least! (Because after all, he could of sold it...)

But what about shipping?

It just happened that Twiz's son was going to be in Montrose, CO with the Boy Scouts in the middle of March, however I wasn't able to get out there until last weekend. This is where the "Colorado Slope Brotherhood" comes in.

Since 2010, it's been an absolute pleasure (for the most part ) to learn to fly slope and meet so many awesome pilots here in Colorado. Even better, since so many of the towns are so spread out, there's sure to be at least someone whom you know / have met / been sworn at by for stealing a kill, in any town here!

It so happened that I had the pleasure of meeting Dragon2 (Rich) last year in Golden and he was in Montrose, the town holding the BSA event. After a few PM's and some Paypal kickback ( just kidding ), Rich agreed to pick up and hold the Supra for me. GREAT!

So, this last Saturday, my wife and I went on a nice roadtrip and did a lap around Colorado to pick up a gift from a best friend being watched over by a new one.

Bill, Rich;

Thank you both very, very much.

Sincerely,

Sean

P.S. - Bill lied, he didn't just give me his Supra, but a lot more: Dude, honestly, you went over and above the call of duty.

P.P.S. - See fun-filled photos of the trip below!
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:50 AM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Enjoy the Supra Froggy, I bet that''s just what would make Twiz happy.

Yes, most RC friends tend to be a generous lot, all for the joy of flying and seeing something designed and built for being airborne, simply up there and putting a smile on someones face. It's a good commumity.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:33 AM
Wreckreational User
Joined Sep 2007
208 Posts
What a fantastic story. Made my morning.
Steve Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Steve Anderson
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:16 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,407 Posts
Great story Froggy! I remain convinced that glider flyers are among the most friendly and helpful in the RC flying community!
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
Great story Froggy! I remain convinced that glider flyers are among the most friendly and helpful in the RC flying community!
You bet LV!

Now, if only Twiz and Dragon would stop by to take a bow...

It's worth mentioning a few things about the road trip that I couldn't expand on in the original post:

Since we're expecting our son soon (late May) we decided to sell my Tacoma and hunt for a more family-friendly and 4wd vehicle. Due to that, we needed to get our Camry up to speed. The poor car had been sitting around and only making short trips for the last year or two. Since she was gonna be our only means of transport for a few months (until we find our Jeep Liberty or other decent small SUV) we needed to fix her up a bit.

During the first couple weeks of this month, I got the automatic transmission serviced after years of neglect, in addition to a thorough flush, it needed some new seals and a couple parts. The engine needed new plugs, wires, radiator thermostat and timing belt. Also, the cooling system needed new hoses and the brakes needed the rotors turned and new pads. We also (finally) put some new tires on her, as the old ones were beyond bald.

With that said, I'd of gotten used to the idea that the Camry wasn't reliable and was only good for trips a few miles in length. However after getting all the work done, we needed to test her. This trip proved to be the perfect opportunity. With only one (actually three) exception. I was VERY uncomfortable with the idea of taking what had been our "junker" over two 11,000' passes and Vail pass at 10,150' with it's 7% grade; all of them in full on winter storm conditions to boot.

The route would take us through some very lonely stretches of back-country with little available help in severe conditions, so I knew there would be some risk. Plus, I'd of been fine doing it by myself, however I'd also have my 7-month along wife with me. So I packed:

Spare oil, coolant, tools, etc. for the car. Food, water, blankets, portable CB radio, etc. for us.

The best part was that no matter how hairy the conditions or roads proved, our little Camry came through with flying colors! On two of the passes, there were the usual jackknifed 18-wheelers and stuck SUVs driven by folks who think 4wd gives them magical powers over mother nature. But no matter how bad it got, our 1999 front-wheel drive, 4 cylinder battlewagon just kept plugging along. 7% grade covered in ice/snow and near zero visibility? No problem, she just kept plugging along uphill at 35mph and did it all day until we were home.

So, in the end, I'm also stoked that this trip allowed us to test our old buddy and know that she's tough and reliable again.
Last edited by FrogChief; Mar 24, 2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:35 PM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,023 Posts
Okay, I see I have to defend myself against the vicious lies that are being spread about me!

The truth is:

While I was "sentenced" to durance vile in Virginia Beach (an area I truly loathe, for reasons I will not get into here) by a of a Detailer, I was able to make a few close acquaintences, and a couple good friends. Then came the Phrog Family (See, I know how to spell it correctly!) Sean and Regina gave me a place to depressurize, broke bread and burned meat with me, loaned me a place to rest my head away from barracks life, and even gave me shoulders to cry on (and cry I did) when Mom died. On my retirement from the Canoe Club, they also gave me two gifts; they showed up for the ceremony (all the way from Colorado!) with PhrogDad in tow, and a Hitec Aurora 9 TX.

You can't BUY friends like that.

So, when my eyes started giving me issues, I knew the only proper home for my SuprAva was with them.

See, it's this thing called karma...sometimes it bites you in the arse, and sometimes it gives you a warm hug and a big wet kiss when you need it.
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:48 PM
Fly Fly Fly Crash
Montrose Co
Joined Aug 2005
2,917 Posts
Sean , It was a pleasure to help you out. I hope we get to fly together soon. April 21 and 22 are the dates for our first combat slope event. I hope you can make it, but that baby may make that tough. Good luck with that. Take care Rich
Dragon 2 is offline Find More Posts by Dragon 2
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:03 AM
LSF 4685
Winchester, KY
Joined Sep 2009
498 Posts
You can add my name to the list of those whose morning (and the rest of my week) has been enhanced. Good friends are like the commercial says, "Priceless!". Thanks for sharing guys.

Dave
k4to.dave is offline Find More Posts by k4to.dave
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:08 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Glad you guys liked hearing about it. It was just all really nice and I felt that Bill and Rich deserved some recognition. Like someone already said, it's all about karma!

Also, I realized that I never posted a picture of the plane yet, not a full-on one anyway:

I've got several mods / changes planned for this bird:

Full sand and repaint of fuse pod, wings.
New 'Supra Pro' built-up horizontal stab, vertical stab and rudder
Rounded and shaped wingtips.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post

You can't BUY friends like that.
Yes you can..... but as soon as the money runs out, so do your "friends"

That's why real friends are so much better than bought-and-paid-for-ones.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
919 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

If the rest of the World were made up of people like Froggy,Twiz and Dragon2,along with many many other people here on RC Groups,we could all be at peace.

Thanks for sharing Froggy. And just think in a few years your going to have a great little flying buddy taging along. Your building and flying days will never end. Enjoy them.Time flies also. Before you know it,your little guy will be getting married and moving on. The clock gets faster every day.

Eddie
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:54 PM
ahh crap! crunch..
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,864 Posts
Don't put foam in the fuze of this one Sean!
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:41 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atmosteve View Post
Don't put foam in the fuze of this one Sean!
Oh no, no, no NO! Not this time!
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:33 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,307 Posts
Having my lunch and reading a great story. Thanks for sharing.
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:49 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,673 Posts
I was really sorry to hear about Bill getting out of the hobby because I intend to be back in that area within 2 years. My retirement is just about set in stone for October 2013... and I'm going to be looking around Weatherford, Texas for a home. Bummer... Bill get those peepers fixed!
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman