Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:09 AM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Mini-Review
New Turnigy Sk3 Series Outrunners, Turnigy's "High end" Outrunner

Quote:
Turnigy SK3 Motors are the next leap forward in motor quality and design. We instructed the engineers to source the best quality magnets, bearings and materials available to them and develop a motor that would not only rival, but surpass the quality of many leading motor manufactures on the market today.

The result is an efficient, high caliber motor using quality double shielded bearings, sintered Neodymium magnets and a string wound stator ensuring an accurate and consistent winding each and every time.
The Turnigy SK3 motors are suited to modelers who are seeking a quality brushless motor without compromise.
I purchased 2 sizes. The larger size I plan on using on my FPV quad/ eventually hexa. I normally use 20-22Ls but after a quad crash involving losing FPV signal, I also use the 20-28Ms with 10x4.7. In the past the maximum amps these motors pull have been 25-26amps full throttle in heavy offshore winds. These motors are known as the Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2830-1020kv.

$16.98 a piece it will be interesting to see how these stack up in the logger and in Real life video.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...der=2004189800

Anyways on with the pictures. For Hobbyking, this is the highest quality I have seen out of them yet. Just based on packing, accessories and whatnot. You can tell Turnigy wanted these to be their best motors.

Screws and spare c-clips, shafts and whatnot, one benefit over the NTM series...

Its pretty neat. One prop adapter is designed for the prop shaft, the other is designed for the motor to be mouned upside down with the shaft pointed down. First time I have seen this in the industry.

These are the tiny outrunners I plan to use for my Mini Hexa FPV setup.

Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2118-2750
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18133

Unfortunately these are designed to be used with prop savers only. I did some research and Turnigy DOES sell a SK3 shaft that is 2mm and would fit, but I"m not sure its long enough for a prop adapter to grab ahold of. I'd prefer prop adapters so I'll try the setup with one motor to see if it works.

Compared to Popular other Mini/Micro Outrunners. The A1510 2000kv, and the 18-11 2000kv 10g motors.

(I've had a big failure rate from the factory on both these motors which is why I am glad to be seeking out a new alternative. I was going to go with the 1811 or the C10s otherwise. Will see how the high 2750kv affects flight characteristics.

They came highly recommended by other members. Turnigy recently released a 2100kv so that is an option as well.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18113

daign is online now Find More Posts by daign
Last edited by daign; Mar 24, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
placeholder for amp info, performance, flight characteristics and how these little motors may be too much for mini quads/hexas, but I'll be using lots of weight.

Eagletree logging as well and I'll get temps after a full flight.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:38 AM
California
Joined Nov 2009
144 Posts
I had bigger version of these motors on a hexa. Magnets came off on 3 different times on 3 different motors and cause 3 crashes. Got rid of them and my hexa fly perfect. They would make great motors if they use better glue on the magnets, LOL.
quadman is offline Find More Posts by quadman
Old Mar 25, 2012, 03:48 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Yeah, I bought 5 of these (SK3 2826) and tested them on a quad. Honestly, I wasn't impressed, one had a bell that was very unbalanced (I used a smartphone app called seismo to measure vibrations. I put the phone on the center plate and started one motor at a time. Best: 3-4. Worst: 10. So one had an unbalanced bell, that was somewhat easy to fix. Two other motors have magnets that rub against the stators tho, you can clearly hear the noise when you spin the bell past a certain point. That isn't particularly reassuring, now is it?
Oh yeah, and on one motor I managed to strip one thread holding the prop adapter in place, so now it's only held on with two screws and one which is sitting in a stripped thread full of loctite. I didn't even tighten them hard, the metal was really soft... Bleh.

Only good part is that I now have 5 spare motors. I'm getting a Bixler electric glider in the mail this week and these should be good replacement motors if I ever need to replace the stock motor. I don't want to use these on a quad, if a motor seizes up it'll crash.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,996 Posts
Daign,
I have the 2118 and the 2122. You can switch the shafts. I got the Park 250 shaft from my hobby shop and swapped them out on the SK3 2122 and 2mm prop adapters work. For the SK3 2118 you can get the SK3 2122 replacement shafts and switch them out, or use the shafts that you took out of the sk22122.
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Ill pass on the usual hobbyking crap
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:44 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2005
1,059 Posts
I have an SK3 5045 in a 6s plane and love it

Its powerfull smooth and well made.

Specs from Eagle Tree Data logger all match the advertised specs.

Im very happy with it
wazzer is offline Find More Posts by wazzer
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:31 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaterPin View Post
Daign,
I have the 2118 and the 2122. You can switch the shafts. I got the Park 250 shaft from my hobby shop and swapped them out on the SK3 2122 and 2mm prop adapters work. For the SK3 2118 you can get the SK3 2122 replacement shafts and switch them out, or use the shafts that you took out of the sk22122.
Excellent info and I suspected it could be done. Definitely a must do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Ill pass on the usual hobbyking crap
Considering 90% of the multirotors on this forum are running ESCs, lipos, motors from HK you must be one special guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazzer View Post
I have an SK3 5045 in a 6s plane and love it

Its powerfull smooth and well made.

Specs from Eagle Tree Data logger all match the advertised specs.

Im very happy with it
Excellent to Know!. I got my logger put on my quad yesterday and will mount up the motors tomorrow for tuning and my first couple flights. Should get an idea on performance vs my previous KDA motors.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 06:29 AM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Not special it just means ive wasted enough money on their low quality products and ive decided i would rather spend a bit more initially rather than have to buy the same motor over and over because of their low QC.
The comment wasnt directed at you but rather at the product, but if you want to take offence because of something you bought from a company with a long history of producing relative low quality items and doing their best to ignore warranty including deleteing comments from their website and foums , well , thats up to you.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:28 PM
let's brm together!
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Nov 2011
390 Posts
I recently bought SK3 2826-1130kV

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18152

The positive:

It ran great out of the box - smooth, quiet
It flies great - it has loads of power (and I mean LOADS - compared to my other set of 150W emax motors, or AXN-1050) - and they don't heat up much
Accessories are nice

The NEGATIVE

One prop mount had slightly smaller holes and I had to file them to get screws through (and those were quiet hard to tighten - I suspect something's not as precise here)

After a major crash (upside down with throttle):
prop mount fell off from one other motor - it just stripped inside the motor - screws are fine but nothing to screw them to anymore
3 prop mounts were bent (I only had 2 spares so I straightened one up - seems to work fine and doesn't even vibrate)
One motor was shot - it's running fine but the whole bell is bent and it vibrates

So that makes 2 motors unusable, but that's still more than I hoped for after this...

Bearings seem to hold fine

Overall I can't really complain - neat little powerful motors for a good price, usual QC issues are to be expected depending on how lucky you are..
zviratko is offline Find More Posts by zviratko
Old Mar 30, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
I mounted them up on my FPV quad tonight. They spin up quietly, the bearings are very smooth. The accessories and hardware are hard, dont strip, and of good quality. All 4 motors came in perfect condition with solid bearings.

Power is ridiculous. I need to tone down PID's greatly but then again its been a while since I flew Multiwiicopter.

One thing I noticed compared to any motor I've ever used. (mostly lower end stuff) the motors are SO SMOOTH. Power delivery is instant. I need to get a nice long flight in before I can comment about efficiency.

Pix:

I considered swapping the shafts so I could use the collect prop adapters but figured it wasn't worth the hassle. I used threadlocker in the prop adapters.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Initial Results in. Got her hovering very stable. Hands off indoors for about 20 seconds before air drafts grab ahold and push it around the house. Timer was setup to log time up from 13%...

Motor efficiency is better than any previous motor I have used. I could have kept pushing this flight till around 14 minutes I think but no use causing lipo damage.
Total hover around the living room test with 10.6v left 12:37

This is by far my new favorite motor. I will setup my hexa mini using the micro SK3s when I get the chance and get it flying FPV. Waiting on some micro Hitec receivers I ordered.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:03 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Daign, on the 2750s, what props are you going to use on 2s and 3s?

Cheers
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,563 Posts
Strapped on a freshly charged 5000mah 3s today and managed to pull a 15:56.8 flight.

Pretty damn impressed with the motors. This will help in FPV quite a bit. Im wondering what 4s would do for these...

On the 2750s I plan on running 3s from the start, if its too much I'll drop voltage and increase battery size so I can try and squeeze some more flight time out of them.

16 minutes from a quadcopter is the longest I've seen a while. Very impressed with these motors. Will help a ton in FPV excursions.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:46 PM
What? I was too busy flying...
Joined Jan 2011
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Two other motors have magnets that rub against the stators tho, you can clearly hear the noise when you spin the bell past a certain point. That isn't particularly reassuring, now is it?

Just wondering, what does this sound like? I have one motor that at a certain point without a prop starts to scream.
Woodchuck12 is offline Find More Posts by Woodchuck12