HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Newbie Introduction/Need Opinions

Hey everyone. I'm new to the whole R/C world. I've owned a bunch of Airhogs in the past but they never seemed to last more than a few hours. A few weeks ago I bought a JXD 340 Drift King. I'm extremely happy with it. After a few flights I started to get use to it. I was really surprised with how stable it was, however, I am comparing it to an Airhogs. I'm curious as to what would be considered the "best" indoor helicopter. I'm looking to stay with the size of the drift king, maybe a little bit bigger. I'm also wondering how much better a more expensive model is. I'm really looking to get deeper into the world of R/C so I'm open to all opinions. Here some pictures of my heli. Please excuse the quality and background. Took the pics on my iPhone and in my girlfriends room.
Thanks again everyone!
Hawkman13 is offline Find More Posts by Hawkman13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:37 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,346 Posts
The Drift King is the absolute bottom of the 4 channel models, basically a toy. It doesn't have a true swashplate so movement is non-granular and very limited. However, what is "best" is highly subjective. It may mean easy to fly, or very durable or wicked performance or huge performance range; range take your pick. My personal favorite is the Blade MQx quad. But any other heli, with at least 4 channels, will seriously out-perform a Drift King. Please keep in mind, the more stable a heli is, the more performance you sacrifice.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:04 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Look into the WLtoys V911, its a fixed pitch single rotor with 45 degree flybar so it still self stabilizes. $45 shipped with decent 2.4ghz radio for the application.
After you master that you can move into the micro collective pitch helis like the Walkera Mini CP, Blade MCPX, etc.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I knew the Drift King was the low end when I bought it. I wanted to start off cheap just in case I wasn't a fan of the R/C world. But I will be upgrading very soon. I guess the best way to describe "best" for me at the moment. Would be something very stable, and something that makes very smooth and definite movement. With the drift king if I go forward sometimes it stays in a straight line, sometimes it goes up, and sometimes it goes down. I want something more predictable I guess. And also a better transmitter would be nice. Not really a fan of the plastic transmitters.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawmadeCF View Post
Look into the WLtoys V911, its a fixed pitch single rotor with 45 degree flybar so it still self stabilizes. $45 shipped with decent 2.4ghz radio for the application.
After you master that you can move into the micro collective pitch helis like the Walkera Mini CP, Blade MCPX, etc.
Thank you for the advice. I just places an order for V911, seems like exactly what Im looking for, for a very good price. After a few months of flying to coaxial Drift King, and the fixed pitch V911, I'll move up to a collective pitch. Thanks again for the advice, there's so many different brands out there its overwhelming.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:54 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,346 Posts
Be advised that a V911 is a self-stabilizing heli with a tendency to self-level. It's a long way from a CP heli. It's not a bad next step, though.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14