HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:17 AM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
I mounted it low because when I am done, she'll appear as she would surface running. The flags will be rigged etc. The hydrophone wouldn't be in use on the surface and thus stowed away, or in this case low to the deck.

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:03 AM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
Almost finished.

Scott
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:41 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
440 Posts
Nice patrol weathering. I was originally under the impression our subs were always kept clean and looking tip-top shape. I found that was not the case as I did a study of weathering for subs. Most pictures we have are subs after getting an update and that included paint. It was finding the rare pictures of subs returning from patrol that you could see wear. Surprisingly not from the B&W photos because rust in gray blends in. The study I did was here:
http://forum.sub-driver.com/showthre...rt-duex/page24
There is a large section towards the aft that many subs showed extensive rusting. I believe it was caused by the mufflers and exhaust in that area.
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:03 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
Thanks. Unfortunately I can't see the pics since I am not a member of that forum. If you are can you maybe cut and paste a few here?

The sub is basically finished as of today. I am going to contact Revell tomorrow and see if I can get an additional set of decals. For some unknown reason, they only supplied sail numbers for one side. I rigged the wires today and also added in any parts that were clear such as lights and the compass. Finally the Navy Ensign was rigged to the bow staff.

Scott
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Aug 2011
440 Posts
Well sign up it's free :-) - jk
O.K. I will get it put together and post on my Gato build here. Let you know when it is done!
Peace,
tom
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:57 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
Tom,

LOL I knew you would say that. I just signed up and waiting for them to activate my membership. I saw some pics in your build thread and know what you mean about rust around the exhaust ports. I think I'll probably wind up adding more to my build.

BTW...did your Gato kit include enough numbers to place them on both sides of the sail? Mine only had one set. I called Revell this AM. Noone was there, but as per their instructions left my name, number and description of what I was looking for. Now awaiting their call back.

Scott
Last edited by laser110; Feb 19, 2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
440 Posts
I do not know if they included enough. Mine is a war-time model and numbers were used during peace time only. If you want my decal numbers let me know, I think I still have them.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 01:48 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,373 Posts
Tom,

Decided to also go with a war motif and removed the set of numbers I put on. In doing so I scraped some of the paint and then touched up, actually adds a little more realism to the model. I was able to get on that site, didn't realize that was your thread with your build. I saw the pics you posted and definately good reference material. I went back on mine and add more rust around the exhaust area as seen in one of the pics.

It really is amaing how in B&W you don't see those things, but as soon as they are in color they stand out. Definately shows the wear and tear that a sub went through. I think my model shows that well.

Scott
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
440 Posts
I am glad it helped. Your sub looks great.