HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:02 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
371 Posts
Maybe, I have it wrong.......but.....

Caswell Inc. who David Merriman worked with to product parts and systems for R/C submarines is not D&E but S/D.

/Sub-Driver (S/D is a spin off of Caswell Inc to handle the R/C submarine stuff which is David Merriman.

D&E is Dave Welch who has his own line of submarine systems and accessories. Not part of Caswell or Sub-Driver
-------------------------------
If you are referring to David Merriman, it's Sub-Driver (S/D).

Both make systems and parts that are very reliable. Both offer good help when needed.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:09 PM
USA, TX, Cypress
Joined Aug 2005
33 Posts
Actually, D&E was David Merriman's commpany. The letters are Dave and his wife Ellie's initials.

David Welch's company initials are BDD. It stands for Big Dave's Designs, "Big Dave" being his nickname (he also goes by BD).
War Fish is offline Find More Posts by War Fish
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:57 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
371 Posts
Well it turns out I was wrong.

My apologies to David and Dave. I screwed up.

Thanks War Fish for the corrections.
I'll make notes of it so I hopefully don't do this again.
CH
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser110 View Post
Updated pics of my build. I am not building this as an R/C boat, which I know will annoy some here.
Annoy some? Who cares, it is great to see a Gato coming together either for display or R/C. Great photos of your build. Thank you Scott!
tchalfant is offline Find More Posts by tchalfant
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:27 AM
Just Limin'
United States, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
Tom,

Thanks. Build is coming along. I am goingout of town for a few days starting soon, so I'll put this project on hold. Also still working on my Chris Craft build http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597328 and awaiting some stuff I ordered. Once that comes in, it will get priortity.

I haven't built a plastic model in ages and find it fun again

Scott
laser110 is offline Find More Posts by laser110
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:15 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
Thought I would do a little update. I have been busy working on the sub and hoping it have ready for display for the WRAM Show coming up next month.
Basic build of the sub is almost done, soon will head to the "paint shop" for painting and weathering.

One note: I decided to build the sub as she would look while active, maybe just up from being submerged and surface running. That being said I decided, to fill in the holes in her deck where the stantions would, to look as if they were covered during "rig for running". I also covered the hole in the foredeck where the ladder was.

Anyone know if the guns would have been covered? I have seen pics where it looks like they are and others where it looks like they weren't.

Enjoy the pics.

Scott
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:13 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
All major work is done on the Gato. Still need to do some detail work with the photoetch and drilling out ports. Then 2 weeks in "the paint shop". Guns are not glued down, just on the deck for placement. The deck will be painted and the guns added permently afterwards.

Scott
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
Scott,
Outstanding work there! Look forward to the paint job.
Peace,
Tom
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:30 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
Tom,

I was wondering where you were Thanks for the comments. Looks like painting is going to have to wait as we are about to get a huge snow storm. I live in a townhouse and build in the Winter in our spare bedroom. I can't paint there so fortunately my parents live about 5-10 minutes away and I can paint on my old modeling table which is still set up in the basement. That's my "paint shop."

In the mean time, I have been having a case of building OCD lol. I have been adding more photetched details to the guns and deck. Also been trying to "oil can" the hull plates some prior to painting. I have a technique which should hopefully make even flat panels look oil canned, but doing it piror to the paint job will only help on the overall effect.

Scott
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:00 AM
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
I live in Las Vegas, NV.
Please share your painting techniques, I always want to learn something new.

Stay safe and warm.
Peace,
Tom
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:47 AM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
Tom,

I have been to Vegas a few times, honestly can't do more than 3-4 days there

Hard to explain my technique, best to see it when I am done, but I'll try my best. The sub with will get an overcoat of gray over the entire thing. Next I'll airbrush in the below waterline area with black paint and the deck will get the same. I'll have to make a decesion here as I have been doing some research on Cobia and found that at times her deck edge was scalloped in black and at other times it was just a straight line. I perfer the scalloped edge.

Next will come dtail work with the airbrush and a regular brush. This will include a "black wash" to bring out details, rust staining, white staining and other details to help bring out the life in the model.

For the oil canning effect I have a sligtly draker gray than I'll be using for the overall color. I am hoping to achieve the look I wnat by using the air brush, setting the spray to a concentrated point and in select sctions spay the center a little darker so it gives the appearance of that area being "pushed in" or oil canned.

Scott
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
Scott,
Next time let me know you are here. Once you get off the strip, there is A LOT more to Vegas.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:08 AM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
Will do. That's my problem, when we're there, all the times I was there for work and stayed on The Strip. With the time change and being out late by the 3rd or 4the day I was wiped out. Think I fell asleep on the plane a few times on the way back

Scott
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:09 PM
Just Limin'
Joined Nov 2008
1,369 Posts
Cobia starts to get her paint job.

Scott
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Aug 2011
437 Posts
I see you mounted the hydrophone low, very interesting. There is something about the shape of the Gato. Looks great....keep those photos coming.