SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:05 PM
Israel
Joined May 2006
262 Posts
Build Log
Prather Little Toni 40 F1 build log

Ok - Rick from the Electric High performance is building the QM15 version and making his electric
I am a nitro guy , and he gave me the confidence and drive to start building mine

so here goes ......

Looking at the wing and comparing his pictures , i have a feeling that the wing cores are not originals ( his wings were stamped with right and left ) where as as you can see mine are not

also the core cuts aren't as smooth , so i will probably need to fine sand the cores to accept a better bond with epoxy
i plan to use 0.6oz micro glass between the core and balsa with a strip of carbon , but waiting for that to arrive so in the mean time starting to fit the motor to the fuse

got to cut out the front with a dremel , so that the Rossi F3D motor will just snugly fit inside
Still trying to figure out how to cover the pipe that goes with this motor as I dont like the idea that the pipe will be visibly seen , might have t make a different cover that that which is provided in the kit

in and case here is some progress pics
open for any comments/suggestions

Izzy
3D-Novice is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Novice
Last edited by 3D-Novice; Mar 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: add pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:52 PM
Israel
Joined May 2006
262 Posts
wing continued....

OK so i found some carbon tow that i wanted to strenthen the wing , and decided to continue with the build today ..

using epoxy resin , spread the 0.6 oz cloth over the wing and dabbed using a paint brush ( not brushing but dabbing the cloth ) until the closth was saturated just enough with epoxy
then added some carbon tow , and finally sheeted wing and using as much weight as i could find and a straigh plate , pressed all together after lining them all up

i decided to only do 1 side of the wing , as time was limited

we will see tomorrow night how it comes out
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:14 AM
United States, CA, Los Altos
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Hi Izzy
I can hardly wait to see this one come together. Wish I could see (and hear) that bad boy Rossi too. What I would have done back in the day for your combination of airplane and engine!!
Rick
rjtw is offline Find More Posts by rjtw
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
By the way, how much does the engine weigh?
Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:33 PM
Israel
Joined May 2006
262 Posts
wing cores

Well i really dread building wings and especally foam cores, as i am never sure how they would turn out , and this is probably the first time in about 20 years that i actually touched another set of cores

none the less , i think they came out pretty darn nice, especially since i also got a layer of micro glass and strip of carbon between the balsa and foam

wings came out pretty stiff, and not sure what they weigh, but not too much weight was added , anywas from what i feel......

now i went ahead and stuck with 15minute epoxy the leading and trailing edges , and this afternoon sanded them as flush as possile , taking extra care not to touch the wing skins
at first i rough sanded them with 100 grit paper , and then with 200 grit and a straight edge sander custom made to get the edges as perfectly straight as possible ( thanks Rick )

now for the part which i really have no clue of what to do
how do I glue the aileron stock , ( did I tell you all this before ) I HAVE NO PLANS !!!
the kit i bought has no plans and no instructions , so i am relying on the build thread of Rick in the electric high performance section building the QM15 Toni
he was nice enough to send me the QM15 plans and instructions copy

anyway , pics added , if anyone has an idea of how to ensure trailing edge stock wil be glues at correct incedence , let me know
i thought of marking a center line on the aileron stock and on the trailing edge , and gluing this down ( and from Ricks thread) , need to only tack glue the ailerons for sanding so that can be removed later for the torque rods - ohboy here i go again .........

that and also the tips need to be glued and sanded flush

help....

Old Apr 08, 2012, 05:36 PM
Israel
Joined May 2006
262 Posts
rossi weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtw View Post
By the way, how much does the engine weigh?
Rick hi
dont have a scale, and plan to get one soon , so will let you know ..
yes the sound of the Rossi , i am really looking forward too, if i remember corectly , 15 yrs ago or so i had one ,and it reved at 30k rpm with a 8x8 apx sport prop
not sure if thats is correct , but will really sound cool if it is ...........
Old Apr 10, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Great progress Izzy, it's coming together quickly! LE and TE look good.

To get the aileron straight on the trailing edge... I think the most important thing is to get the trailing edge of the aileron centered as exactly as possible with the centerline of the airfoil. That way when you sand down the ailerons to match the airfoil, you won't build in any up or down aileron. Check both root and tip, and also check one wing against the other (it's probably better to get them the same even if they're both up or both down a little!) I just eyeballed mine and I'm happy with how it came out. If you want a little reassurance, you might mark the centerline of the aileron with a pencil (viewed from the tip and again from the root), and then mark the centerline of the airfoil also root and tip by drawing a straight line on the foam from middle of LE to middle of TE, then just line up the lines root and tip when you spot glue the aileron on.

PS I love how we're on opposite ends of the world but building sibling airplanes and we can compare notes. Can hardly wait to see both of these great airplanes all finished!
Old Apr 15, 2012, 07:33 PM
KC Racing Team
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2008
149 Posts
RJW,

The Rossi R40 motor & spinner (no pipe) weighs 15 3/4 oz (446g).

Allan
Allan S is offline Find More Posts by Allan S
Old May 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Any updates Izzy?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:05 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2010
454 Posts
I like your thread as it reminds me of a number of these Little Toni’s that I built years ago.

Other than being very fast they were also easy to fly around a course. The one in the photos was powered by an OPS 40 pylon engine with a “magic muffler”. It was supposed to be pretuned for the engine but I was not very impressed with the performance. It did however keep the noise to a reasonable level and fit nicely in the moulded cavity.

I flew the plane without the muffler, only with a simple piece of aluminum tube much like the one in your photo and it became an animal but your ears hurt after a minute. I made the wheels myself, just simple alu discs I turned on my lathe and a large “O” ring for a tire.

I too used glass cloth with my balsa wing skins but I applied it on the outside of the balsa in a vacuum bag which gave a light very hard/durable surface ready for paint.

Before I added the wing skins to the foam cores I would lay a strip of Aramid (Kevlar) about an inch wide along where the aileron would be cut free. This would be my aileron hinging when the aileron was cut from the covered wing with care not hurt the aramid.

mike
mikmerl is offline Find More Posts by mikmerl
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Bump.

Mike, that's a great way to do the ailerons. That's the way I'll do my next foam core wing project. I like the combination of balsa skins, but with Kevlar underneath and the glass coat with bagging. After having gone the "standard" way, I think this way would save a LOT of work!

Any updates...??
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:45 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
494 Posts
Almost makes me want to dig mine out of the attic, clean it off, re-install a radio & engine! Mine had a K&B rear rotor .40 with the open mini-pipe. Hearing protection was a given..
fizzwater2 is offline Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Feb 2012
185 Posts
Hi Fizz! How about sharing a picture of yours? Would love to see it.
PS how much space did you leave for the wheels around the pants? I cut mine so they're practically touching (not even 1/64" clearance) and it'll rub a little as the wheel wobbles. But I love the look.
Rick
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:09 PM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
494 Posts
Give me a few days to get it dug out of the attic and dusted off. It's been up there for a while, haven't flown any F1 for a long time.

I do have the urge to fire it up again, though. I'll have to see if I have any props left!
fizzwater2 is offline Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Apr 24, 2014, 06:01 PM
Israel
Joined May 2006
262 Posts
decided to sell this - listed now in classifieds