SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:33 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
If I'm not mistaken.. and correct me if I'm wrong... but I'm putting together an order to pick up some stuff at FPVhobby, and I believe their wide(r) angle lens works on the 2.4 sub nano. 110 deg FOV I think

edit: Here it is http://fpvhobby.com/138-wide-angle-l...no-camera.html
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Last edited by Tony Twoskids; Nov 19, 2012 at 09:34 PM. Reason: details
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,830 Posts
PicoFly - I just heard back from Adnan, unfortunately there is no wide angle lens for this camera. 90deg only.. I figure I need to switch to the 1g camera.

Wired it all up and stuck it on my GeniusCP. need to reposition transmitter so antenna point down.
Got a lot of motor static - have the voltage regulator on order.
Thinking to wrap a ground wire around the video wire for shielding. and possible wrap a grounded piece of alu-foil around the entire video kit...?

Proof of concept - Did a very short flight last night. quite un-graceful as I was preoccupied looking at the screen on the DVR..

MicroFPV - GeniusCP first hop.. no flying just hover and crash (1 min 6 sec)
Bo Lorentzen is offline Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Nov 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Ug, I must of looked at the wrong one
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:15 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,830 Posts
One more shot it is coming together, installed the Pololu voltage regulator tonight, BINGO, 95% of the motor noise GONE. nice clear test shot..

Now I need to improve the focus.. and then there is really no excuse left for not taking this rig for a spin in the park.

MicroFPV - GeniusCP second hop.. got rid of the static noise. (1 min 17 sec)

Re-did the wiring harness as it started to get a bit nasty, gave myself a bunch of wire so I could try different mountings easily. started out by sticking the camera on the right side of the battery case.

GeniusPC BNF + cam + VTX = about $200

Camera + VTX = fpvhobby.com/143-sub-nano-combo-set.html
VRX = fpvhobby.com/57-4-ghz-8-ch-a-v-receiver.html
Voltage regulator = pololu.com/catalog/product/2119

90deg FOV on a heli feels difficult probably because by the time I notice the side of the image moving as in the heli moving backwards for forwards, its already going quite fast, a wider angle will show forward-backward motion earlier (I think)

Biggest problem right now. the motor seems to wear out or bug down, and loose power after about 2 minutes, I changed the motor before and that seemed to do the trick.. but problem just returned.. can't be wearing out that fast all the time. so Im guessing Im not installing it right or its not getting enough juice.. may need thicker cables.. sigh. suggestions.?

Im overly excited about having put together the parts, and managed to get consistent video remotely from such a small package.
BUT. Having worked most of my life in broadcast.. its safe to say Im somewhat disappointed about the image quality.. this is nowhere close to being mistaken for broadcast. guess now I want a 720p camera in a 3 gram package.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Nov 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
Gaui X2 & Protos Mini FBL
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
752 Posts
Congratulations! That is a promising start for FPV hobby!

When you get your system running it is time to gradually improve the image quality.The easiest step is to balance everything. The less there is vibrations the better image you will get. Dynamic range of your camera isn't especially good either (see how slowly it adapts to shadows / highlights). A better camera (1g) and a 140degree lens would make a big improvement. The third step is to replace the stock vrx antenna with a better one.

A brusless motor will expand flying times, especially if you use 1 tooth smaller pinion than usually.
Picofly is online now Find More Posts by Picofly
Last edited by Picofly; Nov 21, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:16 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,830 Posts
Thank you PicoFly
And thank you for the inspiration, without your cool videos I would not have thought to start this fun.

On my next shopping list I will get a blade balancer.. and a BL motor kit.
and already working on a camera / tx upgrade from FPVhobbies.com
Since this is already adequate for flying, I better get some cockpit time in also, before this don't become a building hobby rather than a flying hobby.
Thankfully unlike Helsinki it is still t-shirt weather for comfortable park flying in Los Angeles .

Somehow I always thought the brushless motor option would decrease the flight time by being more powerful and eating the battery faster.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Nov 21, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Hi, Bo.

That's very cool! I'm happy to hear that our new step-up/step-down regulator made such an improvement! As an online retailer, we do not often get to interact with our customers and see the amazing things they incorporate our products into, so projects like yours are especially fun to see (even if our part is just doing the relatively mundane task of regulating voltage).

I was just stopping by rcgroups.com to mention our upcoming Black Friday Sale when I stumbled on your thread. In case you're looking to stock up on more parts, that regulator is included in the sale (discounted by 43% to $3.95) along with a few other regulators, servos, motors, sensors, and lots more. The sale starts in two hours and runs through the end of Monday. You can find out all the details and see a full list of sale items here:

http://www.pololu.com/blackfriday

Happy Thanksgiving!
Pololu is offline Find More Posts by Pololu
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:15 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pololu View Post
Hi, Bo.

That's very cool! I'm happy to hear that our new step-up/step-down regulator made such an improvement!
Hi Polulu,

Thank you for great products! Just to clarify - it is your Pololu 5V Boost Regulator NCP1402 we are using.

I have to give your new step-up-step-down regulator a try! 500 mA / 1A output current sounds promising. It should be enough for a 200 video transmitter but I am curious to see is the current clean enough for the vtx? NCP1402 is especially good because it removes most of the interference from the ESC without any ohter means of filtering but unfortunately, 200mA output is not enough for a 200 mW video tx.
Last edited by Picofly; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picofly View Post
I have to give your new step-up-step-down regulator a try! 500 mA / 1A output current sounds promising. It should be enough for a 200 video transmitter but I am curious to see is the current clean enough for the vtx? NCP1402 is especially good because it removes most of the interference from the ESC without any ohter means of filtering but unfortunately, 200mA output is not enough for a 200 mW video tx.
In general, the new buck/boost regulator should be much better in all sorts of ways, including noise, but in this particular application I think the results will depend heavily on the transmission frequency you are using and how much interference that gets from the regulator's switching frequency. Also, the new regulator is quite small, so there is probably space to add some caps for additional noise filtering if necessary.

If you to try it out, we'd be interested to hear how it works for you!
Pololu is offline Find More Posts by Pololu
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:10 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pololu View Post
In general, the new buck/boost regulator should be much better in all sorts of ways, including noise, but in this particular application I think the results will depend heavily on the transmission frequency you are using and how much interference that gets from the regulator's switching frequency. Also, the new regulator is quite small, so there is probably space to add some caps for additional noise filtering if necessary.

If you to try it out, we'd be interested to hear how it works for you!
I have a couple of your now regulators on the way. Usually they have shipped pretty fast.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,830 Posts
PicoFly Did you have to change the Devo TX settings.? I run out of TX signal around 50-70m seems a little early, Im still using the whip antenna that camera with the nano-cam. video is good but am not getting those nice long runs you do, because the thing "autoland" (powerdown) when I run out of TX signal.

Seems i read about the Devo's shipping with low power TX setting.. time to google.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
PicoFly Did you have to change the Devo TX settings.? I run out of TX signal around 50-70m seems a little early, Im still using the whip antenna that camera with the nano-cam. video is good but am not getting those nice long runs you do, because the thing "autoland" (powerdown) when I run out of TX signal.

Seems i read about the Devo's shipping with low power TX setting.. time to google.
Always make sure that antennas of your radio and heli are both pointing to same direction (vertically or horizontaly - they are linar polarized).

Install 100mW Devo firmware update from Walkera's download section. Im my case it almost doubled the range.

Here is a another indoors video. There was lots of traffic in the air!

Otahalli 251112 (3 min 26 sec)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:47 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,830 Posts
Thank you PicoFlyer.

Love the hall flying video, it is so stable and camera is wonderful clear.

Yup, antennas same orientation. check.
I managed to find the 100mw firmware. will figure out the install tomorrow.

Im also re-locating the VTX antenna. currently it is about 3+ cm from the receiver. Im putting in the shielded cable from the kit horizontally, and putting the antenna back as far as possible, doubling the distance to the receiver will cut the VTX energy it is exposed to - to about 25% of the current level, that should help it also. Very simple theory suggest that alone would roughly double the control distance. now that the "noise" have beed reduced... but.. theory and reality is not always the same, upgrading to the 100mw will add nicely.

Nothing like your hall video, but here is a clip from Friday evening in the driveway. not exactly elegant. heli CP is driving me nuts. and 90deg fov is not helping. I was trying to come in low for a slow pass of myself, but almost crashed by forgetting the throttle, then turned to land (crash) sigh.
*** but as a actual full-scale pilot I can say, that normally you spend a lot of instructor time to get "type rated" on a new airplane, in RC and FPV. we get type rated by repeating until we don't crash any longer.. pretty amazing process really.
GeniusCP FPV - sub micro FPV - test (0 min 54 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:47 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
752 Posts
You are progressing very well!

It took me 2-3 weeks to re-learn flying with video goggles. You will be buzzing around your garden in no time. Hovering at one spot is the hardest thing to learn. It takes lots of practise.

Image quality looks much better than in your first video. How did you get rid of the static noise so well?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:44 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,830 Posts
PicoFly.

"solved" the noise problem the worst possible way. First I tried the voltage regulator, and that worked 80%.. not bad. But I keep getting "brown-out" my batteries could not pull both the helli and the 50mw transmitter in the sub-nano kit. so it would start flying and in about 30sec I would start to loose power and headspeed.. forced landing.

So, now Im flying with the camera glued to the one side of the canopy and a 200 bat on the other side, easy to swap. but Im anoyed that I can't fly on one battery.

BTW. for everybody.. the http://www.rc-tech.ch kit will have a 120fov lens.

Got a email from Andre at RC-tech.ch today about the lens FOV on their pre-fab sub-micro FPV kit. I asked if it could be delivered with more than 90deg FOV, seems he will be having it with 120 FOV in a few weeks, I figure I will order one when it become available for a test flight.

http://www.rc-tech.ch/index.php/en/h..._id=4&vmcchk=1

-------------

Hi,

It’s currently only available with a 90° rectilinear lens. We should however have a 120° fisheye lens option in 2-3 weeks.

Best Regards,

André Bernet
RCG Plus Member