HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
Gaui X2 & Protos Mini FBL
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
225 meters!

Wohoo!!!

Today I decited to fly a little bit furher away with my FPV Mini- This time my turning point was 225 meters away from the place I was standing. Video signal was a little bit grainy at that stage but still reasonably good for flying.

I am astonished of the range of my FPV setup ! Too bad my Digital video recorder does not record any more soI don't have any proof to show. I hope to get a new DVR next week.
Picofly is offline Find More Posts by Picofly
Last edited by Picofly; Aug 19, 2012 at 03:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 12:46 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
Another range test - 265 meters

Yesterday I made another range test.

My Devo 7 transmitter has performed much better since I installed 100 mW firmware last week. I would not be surprised if transmission power has been only 10 mW before the update.

This time I was using 5645Mhz frequency for the video transmission. There was more noise in the image than before so I think I will go back to 5685 Ghz.

I managed to reach 265 meters in this video. Once I tried to fly further but the video signal become extremely noisy at 300 m and I was lucky to find my way back.

Sorry about the blurry image. I didn't remember to wipe the lens. It was full of fingerprints .

Walkera Mini CP - FPV Range Test at Talosaarentie (3 min 46 sec)
Last edited by Picofly; Aug 26, 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:43 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
Windy day

It is amazing how much wind this kind of sub-micro heli can take. It was quite windy day in my flying field - the average wind was 5 m/s and peaks 7-8 meters. Mini CP was flying very well although it was a jumpy ride .

Sub-Micro FPV in strong wind (4 min 11 sec)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:43 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
I bought a Foxtech diversity receiver in order to expand range of my setup. It seems to work better than I expected. There is a 10mW vtx & cloverleaf in my heli and a 3 turn helix & long range Horizon antenna on the receiver. The furtehermost turning point in this video was 215 meters away and the image was still perfectly cean. There was only one moment (at 1:47) when the diversity receiver selected wrong antenna. So far I am satisfied!

5.8Ghz Diversity Receiver Test (3 min 25 sec)
Old Nov 03, 2012, 04:47 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
United States, CA, West Hollywood
Joined Jan 2008
2,880 Posts
Just orded camera and transmitter from FPVhobby.com

Can't wait to start putting this together.
Bo Lorentzen is online now Find More Posts by Bo Lorentzen
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:59 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
Here is a indoors video I made today. It is so weird to fly without any wind ! the heli feels incredibly stable!

Father'sDay 2012 in Otahalli (3 min 26 sec)
!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:16 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,880 Posts
Looks like a nice flying space.
Love seeing all the planes being flown at the same time in the huge space.
Guess next level of quality will be a 720p 1g camera

Im still waiting for the stuff from FPVhobby.com - darn it takes a log time from Turkey. was looking at the new Walkera 120d02 V2 today.. also have the 6axis gyro, but about 7cm more rotor diameter and born with brushless. might give it a bit more muscle for lofting the FPV setup while not getting much bigger. though I don't like the heavier weight of 80g = more damage, the mini at about 50g is safer with less kinetic energy in cities.

*sure would be nice if one of those 1g cameras could be made with a micro SD slot, for "high-quality" (well "higher") editable video for after the flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
Looks like a nice flying space.
Love seeing all the planes being flown at the same time in the huge space.
Guess next level of quality will be a 720p 1g camera

Im still waiting for the stuff from FPVhobby.com - darn it takes a log time from Turkey. was looking at the new Walkera 120d02 V2 today.. also have the 6axis gyro, but about 7cm more rotor diameter and born with brushless. might give it a bit more muscle for lofting the FPV setup while not getting much bigger. though I don't like the heavier weight of 80g = more damage, the mini at about 50g is safer with less kinetic energy in cities.

*sure would be nice if one of those 1g cameras could be made with a micro SD slot, for "high-quality" (well "higher") editable video for after the flight.
I saved that video in 720p format as per you suggested before. Thank you for the tip. I think Youtube didn't compress it as much as before!

Durability is the best thing in Mini CP but it can lift just that much. I am looking for a bigger heli too because I think I have reached the limits of my current setup. The other problem is that 1S lipos don't suit to expecially well to cold weather. At the moment I am considering Blade 130X but haven't decided anything yet.

Many people use #16 and #18 keychain cameras for FPV. They will record the video in 720p format. I think they weigh less than 15g without the plastic case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808...item2a20b389dc
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:03 PM
Crashomatic
United States, CA, SF
Joined May 2010
2,063 Posts
ive around 12 to 14gr with 200mw tx + antenna + #16 (using live out) without case.

the #18 is slightly lighter (a couple of grams less). Both are still a pretty heavy load for my micros.

Indoor, in small areas its more comfortable to use dedicated micro cameras. lighter and latency is not an issue.

outdoor, the delay is more manageable.

not that it doesn't mean you can't do it, it works okay. i tried a while ago on my LD, and uhm, its a little bumpy as I was still getting used to it

LD +#16 + vout (2 min 5 sec)
CrashMeUp is offline Find More Posts by CrashMeUp
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:20 AM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,880 Posts
@CrashMeUp NICE flying, that definitely quality for tight flying.
I ordered one fo the new #16 with the wide "D" lens. was not aware of the delay, that could be a issue. will toss it on a quad first to see how it feels before trying the heli.

@Picofly the 130x look really nice. and that gotta be the next size up. but it gains weight quickly.

Stepping up from the MiniCP 50g - the 130x and v120 is about the same size rotor dia
Walkera v120 roughly 80g = +30g gain
Blade 130x roughly 127g = +77g gain

Im clearly not a RC heli geek, but it seems empirical playing with a couple,
They typically fly about 10% as cargo and grudgingly accept maybe 20% payload.
miniCP operate on roughly 5g budget for video equipment
v120 roughly 8-10g maybe haul 15+g if needed... maybe.
blade 130x probably in the 12-15g range... and it probably would haul say 25-30g if asked ?
having 15g is a lot of technology in the micro space.

Guessing some of that 3D horse-power in those can be converted to working muscle for VTX etc. ;-)

The heavier heli benefit from higher wing-loading, meaning it will behave better in a bit of wind. probably a good thing up north. ;-) (heavy planes penetrate far better, nose down and let it go)
BUT when loaded it is also almost 3x the mass the mini-CP and heavier lets it gain speed faster and fly much faster.... = more energy potential on impact..

At the moment I have 2 GeniusCP hulls, so figure I will be getting used to this the low-impact way, probably upgrade them to BL quickly.. but will probably put a order in for the 120 before long. maybe stick some foam floats on the skids to increase drag and keep speed manageable.

Hope you get some good flying weather outside soon, but guessing early mornings is getting pretty dark up there already.

Happy flying.

Bo
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:48 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,880 Posts
YEAH - getting closer - got the FPV cam..

Unfortunately - even though I paid for camera, VTX and RX - the RX and rx antenna was not in the shipment.. soooo back to waiting for parts... sigh.

Its really hard to appreciate how small these parts really is.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bo Lorentzen; Nov 16, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:59 PM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Where did you order from Bo? Darn, that's small. Is that the sub nano set from FPV or similar?
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:45 PM
FPVpilots do it remotely
Joined Jan 2008
2,880 Posts
Tony, thats the sub-nano combo set from FPVhobby.com

http://www.fpvhobby.com/143-sub-nano-combo-set.html

I wanted the 1g version picoflyer is using but that was currently out of stock when I ordered, so figured I would try this one. still waiting for the vrx which is arriving in a separate shipment.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:16 AM
USA, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Dec 2003
452 Posts
Wow, Even smaller than I anticipated I guess. That's the one I'm planning to order this week or next. Curious to see how it goes Thanks.
Tony Twoskids is offline Find More Posts by Tony Twoskids
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Lorentzen View Post
YEAH - getting closer - got the FPV cam..

Unfortunately - even though I paid for camera, VTX and RX - the RX and rx antenna was not in the shipment.. soooo back to waiting for parts... sigh.

Its really hard to appreciate how small these parts really is.
Wow!

It is incredibly tiny. Will you be able to mount a wide eye lens on that camera?

I hope to see a maiden video soon!