HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
bummer ...

Why goggles anyway?

Why not just fly using a laptop? Sure having others see you flying wearing only goggles would put you on the "A" list for making a new fashion statement, but so what, you're not in Paris! You probably could fly just as well using a laptop.

Besides, if the goggles did work, then you'd probably have to hire a professional photographer with a huge camera to capture the moment and take a video of you wearing your goggles:

Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:56 AM
Gaui X2 & Protos Mini FBL
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
bummer ...

Why goggles anyway?

Why not just fly using a laptop? Sure having others see you flying wearing only goggles would put you on the "A" list for making a new fashion statement, but so what, you're not in Paris! You probably could fly just as well using a laptop.
Uh, maybe not! I am not quite as good-looking .

Besides, it is better to use an analog device such as video goggles for viewing. Laptop will process the analog video signal into digital format before viewing it and that means too much latency.
Picofly is online now Find More Posts by Picofly
Last edited by Picofly; Apr 11, 2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
Oh, I see.

Thanks for the explanation.

Hope to see more of your eye "candy".
Old Apr 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
758 Posts
DronesVision repaired and returned my goggles and the whole operation took only two weeks from the day I sent the goggles back to Taiwan. Excellent customer service .

Today I received a wide angle lens for my video camera also. FOV is much wider than before and I am pretty sure that it will make FPV flying easier than before. Threads of the new lens are a little bit loose and the lens didn't stay focused because of vibration of the heli made the lens turn in the threads. So, I had to fix it with a drop of elastic glue.

Here is a brief test video with the new lens. Picture quality is not perfect because the lens still shakes a little bit but I am sure it will be better when the glue cures. Now I will continue with true FPV excercises...

Walkera Mini CP - live video test with a wide angle lens (1 min 25 sec)
Last edited by Picofly; Apr 17, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
Two video filming recommendations:
  1. When the heli flies by a mirror, have it record itself in front of the mirror, to help the video's viewers know the micro cam is on board the micro heli.

2. When you use the FPV goggles, also have the heli record you controlling the TX and only looking through the goggles.
It looks like you're a good pilot and a smooth operator. What do you have the RX pot set to? And what are the TX's T/A , D/R, Throttle, and Pitch settings?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:54 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
758 Posts
Quote:
  1. When the heli flies by a mirror, have it record itself in front of the mirror, to help the video's viewers know the micro cam is on board the micro heli.
  2. When you use the FPV goggles, also have the heli record you controlling the TX and only looking through the goggles.
It looks like you're a good pilot and a smooth operator. What do you have the RX pot set to? And what are the TX's T/A , D/R, Throttle, and Pitch settings?
I know that an average youtube user may not realize it is on-line video stream from a sub micro heli but that he main purpose of my video demos was to demonstrate what kind of FOW and image quality one could achieve with a 50g AUW Sub-micro FPV setup and I have supposed that people who watch the video have already seen the pictures and the story in this thread. I will continue true FPV flying now when my video goggles are in order again. The problem is that at the moment I don't dare to use video goggles indoors and I don't bother to carry my bulky 18,4" latop outdoors for recording a video so it is more handy to make this kind of tests in my livingroom. I will do a livingroom FPV video as soon as my skills are up to task but meanwhile I need to practise in my parking garage and the nearby park .

The same qualities that make Mini CP such a poor performer in advanced 3D make it a good platform for FPV training. It is only a positive aspect that the a FPV heli wants to stay level all the time. I have tuned relatively mild settings to my Tx: cyclic travel adj. 100%, rudder travel adj. 125%, pitch 57% and Throttle 100-80-100. Dual rates are 100% all the way. I use -50% negative expo for rudder and -15% negative expo for cyclics because the heli is so dull around the mid stick otherwise.
Last edited by Picofly; Apr 18, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:14 AM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
758 Posts
Quote:

Here is my first true FPV-video .

I have recorded it in my parking garage because I don't bother to carry my heavy 18.4" laptop too far away. The image quality is poor because there is too dark in the garage but I hope you will get some sort of idea how it feels to fly the heli thorough the video goggles. Outdoors I am usually able to reach much better quality but it is practically impossible to record a video with my equipment there:

Walkera Mini CP - indoors FPV (3 min 56 sec)
Last edited by Picofly; May 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:59 AM
Edinburgh Turnhouse, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Feb 2002
175 Posts
Gosh that is fantastic!
I really want that system !

Aubrey
Aubrey is offline Find More Posts by Aubrey
Old Jun 05, 2012, 04:44 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
758 Posts
The first FPV flight outdoors

It has been extremely windy here in Helsinki but today I finally got a chance to fly my sub-micro FPV heli outdoors. It wasn't perfectly calm but my Walkera Mini CP was coping really well in gusts.

I can't describe the feeling when one makes a FPV flight in nice sunshine & beautiful setting. It is simply awesome. This must have been the best flying session ever !!!

It is a shame that Youtube kills all the small details from the video. The original is so much nicer!

The first outdoor FPV fight with Walkera Mini CP (2 min 49 sec)
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
Bravo!

How about some flipping and rolling next?
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:19 PM
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Jan 2008
758 Posts
Quote:
Bravo!

How about some flipping and rolling next?
I will try to flip and loop when I get bored to sport style cruising but at the moment it is so much fun just to fly around the field . Flying thorough the video goggles gives me such an intense feeling. It feels almost like sitting in the cookpit of a real heli.
Last edited by Picofly; Jun 06, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
I could imagine the feeling you'd get crashing!

I was going to ask you to do that after the flipping, rolling.

Last week, I tried 3D goggles for the first time and was amazed at how "real" stuff seemed to come out of the TV at me. 3D FPV would probably be awesome, especially the crashing, and living to talk about it!

Thanks for sharing, and Have fun
Last edited by i812; Jun 06, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:28 PM
V911 F45 Super CP
Joined Apr 2012
140 Posts
This is amazing stuff! Perhaps with many new protocols including telemetry, it will be possible to superimpose "instruments" on the video giving attitude/heading info.
Mitch332 is offline Find More Posts by Mitch332
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,172 Posts
I saw this video a few years ago:

Flying on the beach (6 min 14 sec)
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:05 PM
Gloves are awkward
Preston, UK
Joined Dec 2004
1,202 Posts
very nice Picofly, some people are very clever!!

How about this FPV

RC Plane flyover at the US Space Center/Space Camp (2 min 40 sec)
ipjodan is online now Find More Posts by ipjodan