Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:01 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Discussion
Question on "new" GWS 3-blade props

Hello all,

Please excuse me if this question has been asked previously.

Has anyone investigated the "new" GWS 3-blade props? Checking at GWSprops.com I see these items for sale, with this description:

"These are the New Great Thing to Electric Flight. Keep your thrust, but drop the diameter of you (sic) prop and drop the amps. Exchange your 10" prop for a 9" 3 Blade. Or your 11" for a 10" or even 9" 3 Blade Prop, and watch your amps drop."

I was wondering if anyone has tested these props, or had any information related to their performance.

Although I've flown for years I just bought a wattmeter and I'm reading up on the proper methodology related to power systems testing....but being a newbie in this particular process I thought I should ask some folks with more experience.

What say you?
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
Last edited by whowhatwhere; Mar 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:55 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=gws+3+blade
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
Cumbria in the U.K
Joined Jan 2008
1,924 Posts
I use GWS 9 * 5 3 bladed props.

They work well on my quad but, they do take a lot of balancing.
One blade is always a good deal heavier than the others and it requires tape on 2 of the blades to get the balance right.

It's a bt fiddly but once you get the hang you can balance a GWS prop in a few minutes.

I don't know if they are more efficient. Usually the bigger the diameter the better for a propeller. That means the 10 inch prop should generate more thrust than a 9 inch one of the same pitch.
sparklet is offline Find More Posts by sparklet
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:41 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Thanks Doc. I see your testing was done in '07...I guess the term "new" doesn't apply.

You refer to "pusher" vs "tractor", no confusion there. The GWSprops site doesn't mention either of these terms, they offer a "counter-rotation" version of these 3-bladers.

Just want to ensure I'm clear on this...you stated in answer to one question that the pushers are designed to spin in the opposite direction...so your "pusher" designation is the same as their counter-rotation version?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:37 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Since I received no answer to this question (is a pusher prop the same as a counter-rotation prop), I've found one myself.

From http://www.scratchrc.com/RC-Electronics-Explained.html:

Quote:
A Pusher Prop is distinct from a 'counter rotating prop' - a pusher prop is simply a prop that is reversed on the motor shaft.

There is such a thing as a 'pusher prop' sold by some manufacturers which is really a counter rotating prop, but they are simply manufacturing the prop in reverse (and often charge more money because they are rarer to find/sell.) Save the money and simply reverse the prop by flipping it over and inserting the whole of the prop back onto the motor shaft and switch any 2 of the 3 motor to esc wires so the prop now spins the opposite direction.
*Note* - if anyone takes issue with this definition you'll have to take it up with the author of this article, and that's not me.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,939 Posts
just bought a selection of gws 3 bladers for a Dornier 335.. I'm building.
Was after an 8x 4 front and a 7x 5/6 rev rotation rear.
No such luck, as the selection is v limited.. still.
So I'm having to try and cobble together a facsimile.
First thiing that struck me is that these are cheap flimsy looking things,.. perhaps not a big issue, as they certainly are light.
Balancing.. is.. a problem, which I've discovered as well.
The less thrust from the rev rotation one.. is news.. though.

No substitute for decent quantitative info.. thanks Doc.

Sooo I would likely need a 7 x 8 rev rotation 3 blader of GWS design to approximate a 7x5?? Great!
Starting to realise that the ..static appearance.. advantages of 3 bladers is illusory and in fact I'm now making the models' required bespoke spinners for 2 bladers.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:30 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowhatwhere View Post
Thanks Doc. I see your testing was done in '07...I guess the term "new" doesn't apply.

You refer to "pusher" vs "tractor", no confusion there. The GWSprops site doesn't mention either of these terms, they offer a "counter-rotation" version of these 3-bladers.

Just want to ensure I'm clear on this...you stated in answer to one question that the pushers are designed to spin in the opposite direction...so your "pusher" designation is the same as their counter-rotation version?
Well, if "tractor" and "normal" direction of rotation go together, then "pusher" and "reverse/counter" rotation should do so equally well.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi