HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by StayQuiet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:40 AM
United States, MA, Oxford
Joined Jul 2011
78 Posts
Build Log
Demi Duster Electric - part 15 - canopy failure

Lexan sheets came in for the canopy. Got everything all ready, shop vac attached to the vacuum form table, oven warmed up and ready to go.

This is going to take practice.

I don't know if the oven wasn't hot enough, I didn't leave the lexan sheet in there long enough, or it took too long to move the sheet from the oven to the forming table, but it only shrunk down over the form about 1/2 way, then went solid on me again. Trying to re-heat it in the oven just allowed the top (formed) area to start to sag badly, so I re-applied it over the form and saved that part. I thought the best way to finish the forming would be to use a heat gun, but I overheated the sheet and melted a nice, large hole in it.

I may end up making the canopy a little less tall (cut down the form a bit, so the lexan doesn't have to stretch as much over it), raise the temp of the oven, leave the sheet in longer, and try again with the second sheet. Oh, and move the vacuum table right next to the oven door, so the sheet stays hot and flexible longer.

I need another excuse to send the missus out shopping while I take over her oven and kitchen.
StayQuiet is offline Find More Posts by StayQuiet
to remove ads between posts