HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:26 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,715 Posts
Original Mirage 2000 molds, no way anyone is going to make a new mold right now in China, lots of worry about the economy, we are lucky to get Ricky to shoot the original mold again as he didnt really want to

Yes he has been working on larger glass models, the J10 is huge!!! I have seen the maiden flight and its a bloody big turbine model, he is now distributing the NT turbine range too, they are an OEM for a large EU company.

Soon as he is happy with the package it will be available for the large turbine guys. There is a couple of glass Mirages on the horizon too, one with a 1500 wingspan and one with 1700+ span, the 1500mm one is what interests me the most, with a 127mm Alloy ramtec fan on 14s would be quite interesting
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:56 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,715 Posts
Hey guys, does anyone have a photo of the tail from the IIID Mirage with the tiger head in it?

We are doing the decals and hard to find a decent tiger head pic to get the details right. Any help will speed things up a lot!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:01 AM
Australia, NSW, Williamtown RAAF
Joined Aug 2008
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Hey guys, does anyone have a photo of the tail from the IIID Mirage with the tiger head in it?

We are doing the decals and hard to find a decent tiger head pic to get the details right. Any help will speed things up a lot!
Will see what I can find at work. Pretty sure that's the No.2 Operational Conversion Unit logo...
dro56595@bigpo is offline Find More Posts by dro56595@bigpo
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,468 Posts
Here's one:

http://www.thebaseleg.com/Aviation/W...6531&k=3qvCjG5
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:47 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,715 Posts
Hey Dan, yeah I got the baseleg site thanks, but cannot copy the pics, have to email them to ask if they will supply one. Have sent that to Ricky as reference, but would like something even bigger or a proper artwork side view
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:23 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,715 Posts
Ok I have started building the spare Mirage kit I have had in storage, I want to get one up and running with the Extreme Alloy Jetfan fan unit and the weather is getting better now so I can get it glassed in a couple of days.

First up wings. I wanted to hide my servos inside the wings and as it will be belly lander I wanted my horns topside.

I dont like the old flyfly horns much so made my own from 1mm ply sheet, 3 pieces CA'd together with the centre piece cross grained. Very tough horns.

Pictures show where I put the servo, if you plan on retracts then easy enough to move the servo back further in the wing so there is space to cut out the wheel well.

I am using Hyperion ATLAS DS13TMB metal gears, yes they are a little pricey but there is only 2 of them, and I want this thing to be reliable and last.

I dremel out all the areas for the servo horn clearance, and I used the round horns cut down as they are the toughest horn. Mirage needs very little throw on controls and even with this horn I have to cut the throws back to 50% or less on the radio. I will likely do it in the servo though with the emeter as limiting them digitally is better than using rates in the Tx.

Dremel out the area for the servo tray, epoxy in the ply, line everything up and then epoxy the servo in all round with a spruce block to secure the open end. I will add balsa to the top of the servo and carve it to shape so when the wing covers go on they contact the servo and provide extra support.

I use K&N alloy tube heated under gas then pushed through the wing to make the channels, its not easy to get it dead aligned but dont worry if the hole ends up too big or messy, once you epoxy the plastic guide tubes in you can fill the hole at the top then spackle it over, ends up looking clean on the outside which is all that matters! )

Wing is now glued together, next up put covers on and sand back lightly with 320 alloy oxide paper ready to glass. Next pics will be glassing the wing, and I will prepare the fuse halves ready to lay out the electronics.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Hey Dan, yeah I got the baseleg site thanks, but cannot copy the pics, have to email them to ask if they will supply one. Have sent that to Ricky as reference, but would like something even bigger or a proper artwork side view
Had a quick look at work today - no joy on an electronic record of the artwork. No computer design in those days - was a matter of what the paint shop guys could do by hand on the day ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:25 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,468 Posts
Maybe these can be scaled up, with permission of course ...

http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/h...reviewme_1.htm
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:51 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,715 Posts
Nice, I will send him the link so he can use it to scale what we have so far, the sample is looking good, but need some size adjusting and there are some missing, hopefully by Monday the decals are ready for the printer.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,599 Posts
pic

Quote:
try
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:46 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,729 Posts
Yes..........Top drive is nice:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=4859622
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:40 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Austr...3de7590bb1c86e

If you know someone in Willytown, apparently the Mirage there is painted up in OCU colours.

Also, the tiger head has been used since Macchi days. Might be worth looking at some of the old jets too?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:08 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Austr...3de7590bb1c86e

If you know someone in Willytown, apparently the Mirage there is painted up in OCU colours.

Also, the tiger head has been used since Macchi days. Might be worth looking at some of the old jets too?
Yeah, I 'work' there, but haven't seen it out in the open anywhere - unless it's at the Fighterworld museum just outside the base. Haven't been in there for a decade.

I could ask to take photos if it's there ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:31 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
That's where it is, according to some random flickr person!

'work' - that's what happens when you get promoted :P

Is OCU's current flash digitalised?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:53 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
That's where it is, according to some random flickr person!

'work' - that's what happens when you get promoted :P

Is OCU's current flash digitalised?
Yeah, got another line last year so now I'm doing twice the work but the remuneration doesn't match the rate of effort >

Will have to poke around in their p drive, but most stuff is hidden away and access controlled these days. Will make the effort if those decals I linked to don't work.
RCG Plus Member