HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by North_of_49, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:22 AM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,826 Posts
Discussion
Blade mCX S300 servo replacement

I had to replace a sticking servo in my mCX S300 today. I don't have a precision tip for my soldering iron (EDIT: I have one now, yay!) so I didn't want to work on the board directly with my iron and shaky hands.

Solution: just snip the old servo's wires leaving the soldered ends still on the board, and solder the cut ends to the new servo's wires... easy as pie. Done

Name: mcx-s300-servo-1.jpg
Views: 264
Size: 85.2 KB
Description: Name: mcx-s300-servo-2.jpg
Views: 234
Size: 75.8 KB
Description:
North_of_49 is offline Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; May 04, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:52 PM
Epoxy, CA, or Duct tape?
Joined Feb 2012
22 Posts
Well done sir! I trust it works quite well just being soldered on the old wires, correct?
Edgeyakextra is offline Find More Posts by Edgeyakextra
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeyakextra View Post
Well done sir! I trust it works quite well just being soldered on the old wires, correct?
Thanks...yup, it's fine!

Just use something to help hold the wires still while soldering so you don't get a cold solder joint... like a third hand (like the one in my photo)... or your brother-in-law... I used both

Oh, and using flux makes soldering small things a breeze, I didn't even apply the solder to the wires, I just applied it to the iron tip which is fine for jobs this small that will use next to no solder. And don't forget to put on your heat shrink before you solder your wires together. If you forget, you could brush on some liquid electrical tape (Brush-On Electrical Tape) You can shrink the tubing by putting your soldering iron against it... I usually use the side of the tip attachment.

EDIT: Be careful when stripping the cut ends of the wires coming off the board for soldering... if you're using wire strippers you don't want to tug the wires from the board so grab them with pliers first in your other hand
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by North_of_49; Mar 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:39 AM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,028 Posts
You could have saved yourself alot of grief but doing this the easy way....pop the motor out of the bad servo....pop the motor out of the good servo..take the bad servo and chuck it, keeping the white gears (they do get messed up).

Now, place the good servo by the 5n1...push the old motor into the new servo..install the new servo AFTER you clean the two strips (one black, the other white) with some alcohol on a Q-Tip..then remount the new servo on the 5n1 and check it out! If it works, you are done, if not, just change out the little motor, but, I have never yet seen the little motor go bad.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:23 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
5,826 Posts
Hi, Jake.

Didn't know what part of the servo setup was causing my issue... couldn't be bothered troubleshooting it... just wanted to slap in a new one and be done with it

... and start flying it (bought it used)
RCG Plus Member