HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
Discussion
Switching from Spektrum to Futaba -- couldn't be more confused!!!!

I've finally decided to switch to Futaba -- at least for my FPV and multi-rotor stuff. I may eventually switch everything... But I gotta tell you, I've NEVER been more confused by the products a company puts out. They can't seem to clearly articulate the difference in their products.

Spektrum made this super easy. DX4, DX5, DX6, DX7, DX8... each incrementally adding features. I'm currently using a DX8. I have around 25 models, so I'm not interested in switching out all my receivers "cold turkey". The cost would be way too high... although I understand there are some Futaba modules that can solve this for me? Also, having a hard time telling what PCM/PPM is.

So here's my list:

1) MUST HAVE: At least 8 channels. 9 is even better.
2) MUST HAVE: Whatever is the best technology for non-2.4ghz flying (for FPV).
3) MUST HAVE: Should be programmable.. feature-set on par with my DX8.
4) MUST HAVE: Price in the $400 to $650 range?

5) NICE TO HAVE: Supports my Spektrum 2.4ghz stuff.
6) NICE TO HAVE: Supports the Futaba FASST 2.4ghz stuff.
7) NICE TO HAVE: Telemetry (mostly interested in battery voltage, altitude, and speed).

Is there a kind soul who wants to help nudge me in the right direction?
brianshell is offline Find More Posts by brianshell
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:55 AM
United States, UT, Ogden
Joined Nov 2011
190 Posts
It looks like I can get a used Futaba 12FG for around $700 to $800... this is a little bit of a budget buster, but looks like a nice radio.... Does it check all my boxes? What else would I need to buy?
brianshell is offline Find More Posts by brianshell
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:54 AM
Australia, QLD, Ipswich
Joined Sep 2008
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshell View Post
I've finally decided to switch to Futaba -- at least for my FPV and multi-rotor stuff. I may eventually switch everything... But I gotta tell you, I've NEVER been more confused by the products a company puts out. They can't seem to clearly articulate the difference in their products.

2) MUST HAVE: Whatever is the best technology for non-2.4ghz flying (for FPV).
?
I'm a bit confused by that 2nd must have, so you don't won't 2.4ghz? In that case you need an older module based radio set. In that case you'd want to search for a 9c/9c super which you can pick up for around $200 2nd hand, which would allow money to pick a Spectrum module for it along with a Faast and 72mhz module.

The specs of the 9c should easily compete with the DX8 except for model memory but you can pick up Campac memory expanders pretty easily.

If you wanted to spend more the 10c is also a module based set. Other than that I believe the rest of the lineup are non module based, so unless you hack the insides or use some type of trainer port setup (i'll admit to knowing nothing about about FPV antenna/freqs setups) than FAAST is your only choice.
luke352 is offline Find More Posts by luke352
Last edited by luke352; Mar 23, 2012 at 03:02 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:44 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,190 Posts
1. Keep the DX8

2. Get a used 9CAP (~$200), or a new 10CAP ($550), on 72MHz

3. If you want Futaba 2.4GHz then buy a TM-8 module

Futaba radios don't do telemetry, but you can use the DX8 for telemetry while using the Futaba 72MHz radio to control your model. Just plug the TM1000 into any channel on the 72MHz rx, and receive the telemetry on your DX8. The stock telemetry setup gives you rx voltage, main battery voltage and temperature. You will need to purchase additional sensors to get airspeed and altitude.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:00 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,185 Posts
+1 for 9C, but not Futaba radio, Frsky is the FPVers choice.
Biggest range, telemetry and PPM/RSSI right out from receiver, no other system offer these features.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Futaba 10C would work very well for you, just make sure you get the modular version and not the integrated 2.4ghz. The Futaba is 8 + 2 on/off channels in PCM and in FASST mode.

Jr XP9303 would also be almost as good, although no FASST for that one.
the Jr is 9 channels.

Both radios have easy to plug in modules for 72mhz, Frsky 2.4ghz w/telemetry, Spektrum DSM2, and some LRS systems, the 10C has the added bonus of having a really good implementation for FASST that gives it 8 + 2 switching channels and very low latency.

Used 10CAPS/10CHPS sell for $250-$350 depending on what they bring with them.

XP9303's go for $200-$250 , $250+ if they bring the Spektrum DM9 module.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:33 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,185 Posts
I would not recommend T10, because:
- only the first eight channels can be used with other system than Futaba
- the backlight is not LED, but older technology xenon, with voltage booster, and there are reports of spurious radiations disturbing some UHF LRS
- it's too expensive and not bringing any plus versus T9
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:41 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,000 Posts
Get a 9C super and a Spek module for the back for your 2.4 stuff.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Abbott View Post
1. Keep the DX8

2. Get a used 9CAP (~$200), or a new 10CAP ($550), on 72MHz

3. If you want Futaba 2.4GHz then buy a TM-8 module

Futaba radios don't do telemetry, but you can use the DX8 for telemetry while using the Futaba 72MHz radio to control your model. Just plug the TM1000 into any channel on the 72MHz rx, and receive the telemetry on your DX8. The stock telemetry setup gives you rx voltage, main battery voltage and temperature. You will need to purchase additional sensors to get airspeed and altitude.
Good idea except for the inactivity alarm, you'd have to cut the vibe and motor...
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks