SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2012, 12:22 AM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Build Log
Funbuild 5:Jim Young T&J models 50" DH-88 Comet

After a change of heart on my entry I'm rolling this beauty out as my humble offering. I've sat on this kit far too long and I kept seeing it everytime I'd open my closet. Well, I thought that it was time I did something about that!

The kit is a Jim Young 50" Dehavilland DH-88 Comet. Originally designed for brushed speed 400's, I plan on roping a couple of brushless motors to the nacelles and hopefully hooking in a pair of retracts. As for the scheme, there's 3 known schemes(that i'm aware of), the red Grosvernor house, 'the green one', and black magic. I know that the Grosvernor house has been modelled a bit more, but it's not overdone and it's absolutely gorgeous, therefore i'm planning to give it a try.

Here we go, strap in for some fun!
danrc is offline Find More Posts by danrc
Last edited by danrc; Mar 23, 2012 at 10:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
621 Posts
Hi Danrc – should be a little beauty, designers back then certainly new how to make things that were just right!

Charles
Spitfire1954 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:42 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
803 Posts
Dan!

Remember me!? We met at hobby town in Rockford a few years ago. I thing we were looking at the Peck Polymers kits. I did a search for T&J DH-88 and came across this post. I was thinking of building this kit as well.

I was thinking 3S 2200mAh for a flight pack.
We have a grass field so, I'll pass on the retracts.

-Rocko
rockom is offline Find More Posts by rockom
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:33 PM
Really?!?
Lost ...on the 3rd rock out
Joined Sep 2001
1,258 Posts
I did one of these last year, there are a couple pics of it in my blog. I used the E-flight electric retracts, they fit without too much persuasion. I also went with a pair of Hacker A20-XL's (forget the wind right now) and use 3S 2250mAhr 45C packs. Interesting build, there are a couple difficult areas: watch the aileron torque rods and the tail wheel crank...both are somewhat difficult to get just right. If I were to do it over again, I'd just put thin servos out in the wings for the ailerons.

Chris
ChrisS is offline Find More Posts by ChrisS
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:29 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
Ok, I've been slow to update, but I have started. The wing and fuselage parts are cut out and the assembly has begun. I'll get some pics of the planking process as it goes along. I'm anxious to build the nacelles so I can start figuring on the motor/retract placement.

Chris, thanks for the advice. I think I'll add servo ports in the wings and go with that option over the torque rod. I'm also seriously considering cloth and wbpu as my covering. THat might add some weight, but it should make for a nice sturdy airframe.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 05:59 PM
Really?!?
Lost ...on the 3rd rock out
Joined Sep 2001
1,258 Posts
I think that covering and then paint would be an ideal way to go, especially if you choose to do the wing fillets. I had a devil of a time covering those, and they are still not very pretty.

Chris
ChrisS is offline Find More Posts by ChrisS
Old May 08, 2012, 02:19 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
It's high time I give a report on my meager progress. I have been slowed by kids stuff, weddings, indifference, sloth...but I'm lighting the fire and getting this going. I have the fuselage started up and ready for planking, the wing is cut out and ready for the installation of the ribs, which should go quickly. The tail sections will be made from the supplied sheeting. I've decided also to install the best servos I can fit inside of the wings rather than monkey with the torque rod. personal preference.
I noticed that on Real flight that there's now a Comet that you can fly. Monkeying with the switches shows that the canopy hinges from the side....hmmmm.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:25 PM
Rockford Illinois
Joined Jan 2008
2,327 Posts
I just never got around to giving this plane its due. Once I got the message from China that my retracts were backordered, I knew that I may be slow to the finish. I'll still work on this plane since it has taken over my build space, but it might be fall before I get it airborn.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
I have been working on this kit for the last month or so. Seems to be coming along nicely. There have been a few hitches along the way(panelling) but all in all seems to be going well. Have Eflite (.10-.15) retracts that I am planning to use. As far as powerplant, Power 10 motors around 1200 kv if i can find them, and hopefully two 3 cell 2100-22000 mah lipos if the CG isn't too far off. Hoping to make it a screamer.
Eric
Et496 is offline Find More Posts by Et496
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:06 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,847 Posts
I built this plane last year. There are photos on rcg somewhere. You won't be disappointed,she is a great flyer very fast and rock solid in he air. It does like to tip stall, so be careful to keep the speed up. I have rebuilt mine once already and need to rebuild again as I crashed due to the aileron servo arm breaking. Cg is critical on this plane I used two suppo brushless motors with 20amp esc in each nacell. Run one motor in reverse and use a pusher prop, for counter rotating props
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member