HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jyester, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:00 PM
Jyester
Massachusettes
Joined May 2010
169 Posts
Discussion
Rtf, arf, building/scratchbuilding

Should we as hobby men be concerned with the direction that our hobby is going in. I remember my first kit I built all laser cut tap and notched construction the plane went together with ease. Then I got into scratch building. I find it more rewarding then flying the plane it self. Am I the only one? Can't be! I do how ever realize that building a plane up from wood is a thing of the past. Guys we fly with calm us old school. The new school is fixed on buying and flying all in the same day. Are we going to let this hobby slip away? Are we going to follow the masses and forget about the golden age of RC. Building model planes is the most important aspect of the hobby. I wonder if the hobby has apexed! Has it reached the point of going no further or is it waiting for a rebirth of the old ways. People need to realize that the foam or wood plane they purchased was first scratchbuilt then copied over and over and over. Someone to the time to design, build, and fly the prototype before it was massed produced.
Don't get me wrong I like the models I see in the magazines and in my local hobby shop or online. I do how ever like to see scratchbuilt planes especially scale one. I think that everyone in this hobby should build a plane from a kit just so they can learn the in's and out's of model building. The reward for building is knowing ones plane, and being able to pass on tips and tricks they used to solve any building problems they faced in the construction process. I loom up to those guys you see at top gun or monster planes these guys take time in every aspect of building an award winning aircraft. No building is not easy scratchbuilding is even harder! Fear has a lot to do with it and also time and space. All these things are factored in when one is considering build or ready-built or ready to fly. If you read this and feel the same way add to it let's here your thoughts on the subject.
Jyester is online now Find More Posts by Jyester
Last edited by Jyester; May 30, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:40 PM
Asheville, NC
Joined Mar 2009
283 Posts
Check out my blog. I'm hooked on building from kits and will do scratch builds in the future. In fact, my Craft Air Scout 15 is mostly a scratch build as I sold the 1st wing I built to another modeler and built the 2nd wing from plans. Other than the die-cut plywood fuselage sides, everything else was build from plans.

There are folks out there who like to build kits. They're just too busy building to post on the internet.

Mark
Scirocco14 is offline Find More Posts by Scirocco14