SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by JLT_GTI, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:39 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Discussion
Escuela FPV Project underway

Well.. this is it.. after 2 years of thinking , planing and mental works its time to finally begin the FPV project wich i considerate the ultimate goal in RC flying

After considering several planes (HK FPV plane, Bixler , SkyWalker.. ) i finally decided to once again use my very first RC plane , the good old Modelhob Escuela..

Several reasons came to this.. first i allready have one flying (toght i had installed the motor in the front and now i had to move it to a pod over the wings) , second its 3 chanel with motor ..wich means i have a plus spare chanel that i can use to control the camera pan easier, third it uses Clark-Y airfoil and its 2m wide.. wich means it can carry quite a payload and while not great for speed it still has a lot of glide and floating even in slow conditions and finally it has polidihedral since it only uses the rudder to steer so its quite self-stabilizing..

Many spaniard guys are using Escuelas as FPV ships all arround the country with many even refurbishing old worn out ones for it.. and all of them report happy so i guess its better for starting than some choices i had..

Ironically i had converted this bird from pure glider to motorglider last summer and mounted the motor in the nose and now i wanted the nose free (camera) and also as much internal space as possible...so i had to move it to a scratch built plywood pod over the wings.. also swaped the motor for one way more powerfull and moved the standard servos in the front compartment to two MG microservos in the back wich made more space avalaible and also by moving them back left more usefull weight to be moved to balance the plane..
Also riped off the 14 year old Oracover covering of the wings since i knew they had some defects inside from time and wear and i wanted to recover them and also reinforce and inspect to correct any faults.. and good thing i did since they did a lot of "structural failures" inside.. after restoring and recovering them they now feel way better than even new..also nice when you have a plane with new covering

Now im in the "flight test" phase.. plane must be tested to see how it flies, handles, glides, power drains, and possible bugs/faults with ballast simulating the FPV gear ... to my delight i can put the batteries in several points in the front compartment to balance the plane right with a single 2200 3S or with 2 2200s 3S so i can plug them together to have 4400 power reserve (to increase range).. with a single battery the plane is 1525g ..wich is barelly 250g more than in the motor-glider old configuration.. with 2 batteries its 1725g

This is the config used:

Escuela - Modelhob
power: Turnigy 2836-1000Kv motor -8X6 propeller - 30A turnigy plush ESC
Radio: Futaba 7C 35mhz with enlarged Rx antenna
FPV:
Ikarus OSD , 850mW 1.2/1.3ghz videoTx, Fatshark googles+laptop

still i have the dark impression that it will end in the bottom of the sea or lost in someone's tree
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
to remove ads between posts