HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:57 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Discussion
Advise Please, which camera. GOPRO HERO 2 OR SONY DSC-HX9V for my hexacopter

I have 2 helmet cameras, a ContourGPS and a Drift HD170 that I wedge in between the top and bottom frames of my DJI F550 hexacopter.
They do ok but I want a better quality looking video without the expense of $6-$700 for the Sony Nex5n that everybody raves about.

This if from the Contour GPS
http://youtu.be/iF0lTQ7tNxE

And this is from the Drift HD170
http://youtu.be/T7-38Dr06s8

I bought an inexpensive 2 axis gimbal landing gear and mount but wasn't happy with the results but for $150 it was what it was.
I just want to play around now and maybe later get a $500 gimbal.
So for now I'm ok without a gimbal and can make my own concoction to mount a point and shoot under the hexacopter somehow and make leg extensions.

I've been reading a lot about the GoPro 2 and a few people have the Sony HX9V.
I have a KX191 camera for FPV, and I just wanted a decent camera for $2-$300 that will give good quality video recording and sometimes photos too.

I wish this thing was able to lift my Nikon D5100.

I found new Sony's for $275 shipped and GoPro's for $275 shipped.

My hexacopter is pretty well balanced by the looks of my videos and haven't put on the Graupner props yet so maybe those might make it a tad better.

Just looking for opinions if you've tried both of them.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Last edited by jasper7821; Mar 22, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,523 Posts
I know a lot of production companies use GoPro
that's why I'm leaning towards getting a new one of those
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:01 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
GoPro HD 2 does a good job and on 1080p narrow you get no distortion and a little smaller FOV

The HX9V has been reported to be a PITA to get it jello free.... harder than a gopro, which is hard to believe.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:07 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
hero 2.
tho i find the narrower FOV options to be completely useless. its just interpolating pixels & that makes it about a thousand times less quality than simply passing it through after effects or photoshop to fix.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:12 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I am thinking about picking up panasonic GF3, which is about 400 bucks. lens based OIS that you can turn off. otherwise, I would go with gopro2 or gopro1 with sunex. (depending on if you need non fisheye type video)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I think I'm going to get a GoPro2 and be done with it until I'm ready for the $500 gimbal and a Nex5n.

I just saw this one online this morning, looked ok. I saw a few youtube video and when the camera is panning it's pretty blurry So I think the GoPro would be better.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ketingItemName
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:25 PM
N000000b
Joined Mar 2012
14 Posts
Never been a fan of GoPro's... i'd rather a new Contour any day.
_MaXius_ is offline Find More Posts by _MaXius_
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
I think I'm going to get a GoPro2 and be done with it until I'm ready for the $500 gimbal and a Nex5n.

I just saw this one online this morning, looked ok. I saw a few youtube video and when the camera is panning it's pretty blurry So I think the GoPro would be better.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...ketingItemName
What are you needs with this video camera?
I see so much done with the GoPro that it helps sell me on it...
and seeing first hand, a LA production company using them helps to..
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,198 Posts
Save your money for the NEX 5N I have the Sony HX9V its great camera BUT you can not turn off Stabilization on the camera so getting 100% jello free video is hit and miss I can do it but it is a pain to make happen and repeatable the Nex 5N is alot easier for repeat performance of video.

Michael64
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:15 AM
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
I just want to take decent video just to play around with when I'm FPV flying. I may try to sell my Nikon D5100 and buy the
Costco has the D5100 on sale for $1,000 and I have the same kit from Costco, maybe I can break even on a Nex5n
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
I just want to take decent video just to play around with when I'm FPV flying. I may try to sell my Nikon D5100 and buy the
Costco has the D5100 on sale for $1,000 and I have the same kit from Costco, maybe I can break even on a Nex5n
GoPro 2
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:38 PM
New Jersey
Joined Sep 2009
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
Save your money for the NEX 5N I have the Sony HX9V its great camera BUT you can not turn off Stabilization on the camera so getting 100% jello free video is hit and miss I can do it but it is a pain to make happen and repeatable the Nex 5N is alot easier for repeat performance of video.
Michael64
One thing I do not understand in these discussions on the HX9V is that the jello effect is generally considered to be due to the rolling shutter, not to the automatic stabilization system. The latter does indeed cause problems with AP, such as blurred images and shaky motions, but I never read that it causes jello, i.e. the "waves" going across the image. No?
DMala is offline Find More Posts by DMala
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, TX, Thrall
Joined Feb 2010
1,198 Posts
The Stabilization causes the jello. Even on DSLR's if you have a stabilized lens on a tripod it will cause bad photos. But in our case the high frequency vibs will drive the the stabiliation nuts it can be gotten out most of the time but its a pain.

Michael64

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
One thing I do not understand in these discussions on the HX9V is that the jello effect is generally considered to be due to the rolling shutter, not to the automatic stabilization system. The latter does indeed cause problems with AP, such as blurred images and shaky motions, but I never read that it causes jello, i.e. the "waves" going across the image. No?
Michael64 is offline Find More Posts by Michael64
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMala View Post
you are correct..
another issues is also the vibrations from the Heli or craft using for FPV flight
the Canon T3i that I want so badly has this during normal shooting with normal and fast motion and that on sticks ...
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:58 AM
Joined Mar 2011
535 Posts
Choosing between the Hero2 and hx9v is basically a question of what you are planning to do. If you want to document your ride the Hero2 is perfect. In the other hand, if you want to make really nice videos the Hero2 is useless due to the barrel-distortion. Filming in narrow mode gives really bad video and increased rolling shutter. Medium mode isnt great either. hx9v is a much better camera but then again you have to do some really hard work getting rid of vibrations.

I would definately go for the Sony Nex5n instead if you can afford it and can carry the weight. (350g approximately)
babanan is offline Find More Posts by babanan