HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:07 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Cool
New Video: California Medley (VTPR / academic / hover aerobatics)

California Medley (13 min 39 sec)

A new one... please watch in fullscreen HD for best results!

Since I've taken on the ExCali project and need to get the first prototype launched for WeaselFest, this will be the last video I publish for a few weeks.

So I've gone with a slightly different tack and done a medley of longer cuts, in contrast to the rapid-fire cuts I normally prefer. This time I've tried to mellow the mood so as to demonstrate how it's quite possible to blend multiple flying styles - in this case, VTPR, traditional "academic" aerobatics, and hoverbatics - into a single sequence, encompassing all parts of the slope aerobatic box.

I hope you enjoy. Music by country blues master R.L. Burnside

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:41 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
A new one... please watch in fullscreen HD for best results!
I did
I liked

(even though the broadband crashed at 12:15 - big decision - do I try for the rest of it? - yep, I did)

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:45 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,295 Posts
Damn you Steve! How am I ever supposed to get away from this computer and get anything done with you posting these awesome videos....with an RL Burnside soundtrack no less. When my wife asks me why I got nothing accomplished again today, I'm just going to say "you'll have to talk to Steve about that"
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
Espaņa, GA, Vigo
Joined Apr 2010
89 Posts
Motivational and inspirational.
Thank you for this beauty
jolucapo is online now Find More Posts by jolucapo
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:53 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolucapo View Post
motivational and inspirational.
+1.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:16 PM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,863 Posts
Great stuff Steve!

There was a whole lot of flying in that video. I could totally relate to vibe... I felt like I was there with you.

My favorite segment was "Jumper"... super smooth. I can't wait to join you for a session... at WeaselFest.

Dawson

P.S. I did keep thinking that your ExCali would have been magical in that condition... able to carry a bit more length and stability into the figures. I am digging our "standard" sized fish; but something bigger might be even better.

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:24 PM
Tobias (aka glider hangaround)
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Apr 2008
551 Posts
Yeah, that was some nice flying, like the looong format as well. Thumbs up!
Fluffracka is offline Find More Posts by Fluffracka
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, FL, Indialantic
Joined Dec 2011
858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolucapo View Post
Motivational and inspirational.
+10

Ken
Snewk is offline Find More Posts by Snewk
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:56 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Thanks everybody! As always, I'm just trying to give back to the community that has given my family and I so much support. No matter what I do, it won't ever be enough to repay your kindness in our time of trial. But I'm glad to at least provide some entertainment!!

Dawson I'm sure a bigger plane will be fun. The 1.5m planes are great and have their place - especially at Ellwood - but I have a massive crush on Swiss Peter's 40oz 2m Big Fish. I suspect I'll go absolutely ballistic for the ExCali

Steve
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:07 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Well, this is by far your best work Steve. It seems to be another level for you and for most of the rest of us. It is extremely close to perpetual aerobatics...and could be argued that it is indeed perpetual aerobatics. Maybe I've missed it in your other videos, but I believe that your reverse flip early in the video is the first "Mad" maneuver I've seen you perform. Not only that, but you performed it low enough to the ground that it is legitimately a part of VTPR (my next goal) integrating both styles together. This video convinces me further that the "ultra-light" AUW plays a key role in achieving non-stop aerobatics. I have to pull out my best skills and build an ultra-light version of my Axis 72 if I'm going to keep up. Bravo Steve...bravo.

-Paige
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by FSD; Mar 28, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:09 AM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Thanks Paige.

Re: perpetual aerobatics: if it has to be argued, then, it hasn't been sufficiently demonstrated

I have been doing flips since a long time now - have you not seen the various Ellwood videos from last summer? Plenty of flips there, as well as in the intro what is really my best movie so far, VTPR California Style. That one got on TV! LOL slow news day

For me, this video - California Medley - and its ridiculous length was meant 100% as a response to those who claim a preference for "uncut" flights. OK, so you like those? Fine, here goes.. a lot of them, one after another

To me, if you can fly nonstop aerobatics, as shown here, for 1-2min+ per flight while mixing traditional aerobatics, hoverbatics, madflight, VTPR, then, well, you are demonstrating some competence.

There are surely, undoubtedly, much better pilots out there, but the problem is, if they don't make videos, we don't know they exist...

My goal is not to toot my own horn, but rather, to bring these really advanced pilots out of the woodwork. I want to be inspired. Bring it. Please. Help us improve, and more importantly, demonstrate that you are out there. You have enthusiastic fans waiting to adore you, please, make us happy

Steve
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:51 AM
Flagstaff, AZ
USA, AZ, Flagstaff
Joined Mar 2003
3,863 Posts
Quote:
My goal is not to toot my own horn, but rather, to bring these really advanced pilots out of the woodwork. I want to be inspired. Bring it. Please. Help us improve, and more importantly, demonstrate that you are out there. You have enthusiastic fans waiting to adore you, please, make us happy
Well said Steve!

Less talk... more flying. Shoot video.

Dawson
dawsonh is offline Find More Posts by dawsonh
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:09 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Quote:

I have been doing flips since a long time now - have you not seen the various Ellwood videos from last summer? Plenty of flips there, as well as in the intro what is really my best movie so far, VTPR California Style. That one got on TV! LOL slow news day

Steve
Steve...Not sure where my head was at when viewing your past videos. But yeah, you definitely performed flips, floops, tumbles, etc. - maybe I was thinking of multiples or something. Or maybe they were so smooth that they seem to disappear into the flow of your routines. So, sorry...

-Paige
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:15 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonh View Post
Well said Steve!

Less talk... more flying. Shoot video.
I think you said it best, yesterday, when we spoke on the phone. So much so, it's going to be emblazoned across the underside of the ExCali's wing:

SHUT UP AND FLY

Steve
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:16 PM
Feeling FrSky
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSD View Post
Steve...Not sure where my head was at when viewing your past videos. But yeah, you definitely performed flips, floops, tumbles, etc. - maybe I was thinking of multiples or something. Or maybe they were so smooth that they seem to disappear into the flow of your routines. So, sorry...
LOL I wasn't trying to chastize you, sorry!! And I still haven't done many proper multiflips. Hope to change that soon!

Steve