HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Jan 2011
95 Posts
Discussion
Flight SIM for FPV - what's the best

Hello
I'm in the market for an FPV flight SIM and I hoping I could get some good recommendations

I would like to be able to fly Quads as well as planes

Thanks in advance
GuyPilot is online now Find More Posts by GuyPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:36 PM
I never finish anyth
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jan 2012
2,585 Posts
I haven't yet updated my version yet (been busy flying my new Hexa LOS). I love my PhoenixRC but they didn't have FPV until the beta release of Version 4 (info listed below). You don't have to pay for upgrades with PhoenixRC so if you buy a version 3 it should be fine (double check me on that).

Version 4.0.a BETA

We are pleased to announce that the first BETA release of the new 4.0 version is now available from our Downloads page.

Please note that this is a BETA release, and so may contain bugs or issues that will not be in the final version. You must have at least version 3.0.s installed before using this update.

New features, Improvements and fixes:

• New InfinityScape sites:
• Fly forever on an infinite number of randomly generated 3D terrains that you create and control
• Boundary-less terrains let you range as far and wide as you want to

• New camera modes include Cockpit and Chase modes with lookaround functionality
• New resampled sound effects for model engines
• Official support for NVIDIA 3D Vision sterescopic and TrackIR head-tracking hardware
MCrites is offline Find More Posts by MCrites
Old May 31, 2013, 12:47 AM
AMA member since May 2013
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined May 2013
1,384 Posts
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd try here.
I've never flown FPV. Is the simulation used for the cockpit camera on the GUAI 330 in Phoenix 4 even close to the "real thing"? It is fun to fly!
Supreme Balloon is online now Find More Posts by Supreme Balloon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2013, 05:00 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Hmm...

I've got a recent Phoenix around here someplace. I should check out those features.

As far as fun goes, all sims are a bit of fun but except for the early days the first thing that happens is I begin to notice things like if it's too easy to land or doesn't fly like I'm used to.

Sims really are good for practicing stuff like point rolls but not always things like spins and landings. Heli's always seem easier in a sim. I crash anyway! ;-)

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Last edited by PeteSchug; May 31, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old May 31, 2013, 05:43 AM
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Balloon View Post
I know this is an old thread but thought I'd try here.
I've never flown FPV. Is the simulation used for the cockpit camera on the GUAI 330 in Phoenix 4 even close to the "real thing"? It is fun to fly!
I started out practicing with the Gaui 330 in Phoenix before I flew my first quad. I would say it's "close" to flying a quad in manual mode with the stabilization turned off.

It's very similar to the real thing but not 100%. It's very hard to lose orientation in the simulator. In the real world, the wind can swirl around and perturb your aircraft in odd ways that the simulator won't replicate. Another thing I've found that you can't really do in the sim is sun glare, which can be a big factor flying in the real world.
smoothvirus is online now Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blackout Mini H Quadcopter
Old May 31, 2013, 02:32 PM
AMA member since May 2013
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined May 2013
1,384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
I started out practicing with the Gaui 330 in Phoenix before I flew my first quad. I would say it's "close" to flying a quad in manual mode with the stabilization turned off.

It's very similar to the real thing but not 100%. It's very hard to lose orientation in the simulator. In the real world, the wind can swirl around and perturb your aircraft in odd ways that the simulator won't replicate. Another thing I've found that you can't really do in the sim is sun glare, which can be a big factor flying in the real world.
V 4 has a 3D option that lets you generate flying fields. One I made had some horrible sun glare, I'd lose the quad orientation every time till I flew out. In that sim, I didn't fly into the sun in the cockpit view,, but I will and I will turn up the wind, just for fun.

Reading about other folks FPV adventures, it appears that knowing your flying area is very important as you can loose your way easily. I will also shut off the little pop up that orients the field as well.
Supreme Balloon is online now Find More Posts by Supreme Balloon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2013, 03:35 PM
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme Balloon View Post
Reading about other folks FPV adventures, it appears that knowing your flying area is very important as you can loose your way easily. I will also shut off the little pop up that orients the field as well.
Yes, knowing your flying area is very important. A caveat, at least for me, is that I don't fly long distances, at least with my quad.

Google Earth/Maps is your friend in this department. Also, I had flown many line of sight flights carrying a keychain camera over my sites before I even attempted FPV.

An interesting side note - I did a night flight for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was a success although I was super nervous. Navigating at night is a completely different ballgame, I had a really difficult time figuring out where I was even though I am very familiar with how the area looks in daylight. Had I not placed a strobe light at my home point to navigate back I probably would have had to go into failsafe on the quad and have it fly itself back.
smoothvirus is online now Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blackout Mini H Quadcopter
Old May 31, 2013, 05:16 PM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,541 Posts
GOOGLE EARTH The Best FPV Flight Simulator (3 min 6 sec)
tushev is offline Find More Posts by tushev
Old May 31, 2013, 08:53 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,765 Posts
any aircraft flight sim with a variety of planes is enough to prep for FPV of model craft, imho. Just to familiarize you with flight controls, setting up landing, and aerial visual navigation.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker