Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:24 PM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
Cool
VTOL Rotator

... more power, more fun

What You see is the 'Inner Rotator' of a big 'Patriot Rotator', formerly made by PREMIER KITES. I shortened it, replaced all roddings against thin high-end carbon and equipped it with a 3D crossjoint vector unit. It comes with a 25 grs. silver wire BL-Motor, that delivers 840grs. of thrust at around 20A.

That 'rocketrotator' measures 78 x 78cm and weights around 380grs.

Flown with a 3S 460mA 40-90C discharge Turnigy Nanotec LiPo, it is able to make vtol's, very speedy flights and some stunts.

Photos show the VTOL - action.

Maiden video: www.crazyplanes.de/vtolrotator2.wmv

have fun!

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 12:37 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,039 Posts
I love your rotators!

I would like to try building one of these. Where do you have the CG on the rotators? Im guessing 20% to 30% back from the leading edge?

Absolutely awesome
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old May 24, 2012, 04:36 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
Hi MrE,

The VTOL-Rotator's CoG is at the rear of the front sail edge, what may be around 30-35%.
I fly alle my rotators a little bit tail-heavy, so I try to avoid uncontrollability.

Sometimes, the pilot's mishap leads to flight figures, where the vector unit is directed vertically downwards.
In this position, the pendulum begins to rotate, like it does within the vertical take-off phase, and you cannot control a rotating vector unit, if the rotator is too far near the ground.
A little tail-heavyness helps to self-stabilize the rotating wing, when it sinks vertically: Due to rotation and tail-heavyness, it changes automatically from vertical to horizontal flight position (minimum height for that maneuver: 20mtrs.

Thanks for interest, and good luck for Your first Rotator Project.
You'll enjoy it, I'm sure

flattermann
Old May 24, 2012, 09:56 PM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,039 Posts
Thanks!
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Jun 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Feb 2011
153 Posts
Rotator 2D

hi flattermann,

inspired from all your wonderful rotator-kites i built my own, but i simplify it and made a 2D-version of the rotator (only rigth-left, up and down flight with motor throttle)
result is an awesome kite with perfect flightcontroll. the pendulum works well, flight time is about 15 minutes, the vectorframe was built in less than one hour and is very lightweight.
enjoy first pictures:
Vectorflyer is offline Find More Posts by Vectorflyer
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:40 AM
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
312 Posts
Hi Vectorflyer,

looks pretty good!
Got a video?

flattermann