HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:49 AM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,691 Posts
Discussion
What is the Minimum Input Voltage for a CC BEC Pro?

I was assuming that the input voltage has to be some value over the desired output voltage, but realized that the specs never directly say what that is.

More specifically, will a BEC Pro work off a 3s lipo (~ 12V)? I think it will, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:52 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,377 Posts
It probably depends on the output voltage that you want. Most regulators of this type require some voltage overhead to operate at the rated output. I would think that it would be safe as long as the input voltage stays about 3v higher than the output voltage. You will probably have to call CC Tech Support for more details.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:41 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
It probably depends on the output voltage that you want. Most regulators of this type require some voltage overhead to operate at the rated output. I would think that it would be safe as long as the input voltage stays about 3v higher than the output voltage. You will probably have to call CC Tech Support for more details.
I plan to run 6V, so I am betting even a 2s lipo would be fine--like it is for the small CC BEC (they really need another more descriptive name for that one!).

It's just that I don't see that particular spec out there. On the BEC Pro itself, it has a decal with a table average current draws vs applied volts, but the lowest value is for a 4s (or 16V).

The actual application is a 6s Heli, where I have two 3s packs in series. Just want to run the BEC Pro off the lower pack (~12V). An added benefit should be a higher average current draw---not that I think I need >~15A continuous (16V value).
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn