HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
Discussion
Looking to buy a 4ch rc helis what to buy any input from the pro's

Hi I'm looking at getting a meduim size 4 ch heli i dont want a micro what do you pro's recomend I'm new to 4ch helis but i red alot and I'm willing to take the time to learn i know its goning to be tuff but I'm up for the challange. dont be scared to voice your info i dont bite thanks 70 views and no response
67sam is offline Find More Posts by 67sam
Last edited by 67sam; Mar 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
60 views and no opinion i thaught this was a good form
Last edited by 67sam; Mar 22, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:22 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Your best bet is probably a Blade 120SR, for durability, reliability, parts availability and how much you can learn. You are also in the wrong forum (should be beginners) and asking for something where there aren't many good choices.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Mar 22, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:59 PM
Suspended Account
Pittsburgh PA
Joined Dec 2004
2,365 Posts
i second the Blade 120. I am far from a fan of the Blade helicopters but the 120 really is worth the money and a great heli as well.
Cable Guy is offline Find More Posts by Cable Guy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:24 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,387 Posts
120SR. It will be a handful if you've never flown before. For how long will depend on your 'talents' like perception, anticipation, reflexes, fine motor control. Mine are poor (I'm old) but I can fly it around the complex like walking a puppy. For those little mistakes, it is relatively rugged, easy and cheap to fix.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
120SR. It will be a handful if you've never flown before. For how long will depend on your 'talents' like perception, anticipation, reflexes, fine motor control. Mine are poor (I'm old) but I can fly it around the complex like walking a puppy. For those little mistakes, it is relatively rugged, easy and cheap to fix.
i only have 3 ch i know their not the same but i flu it the first time with no problems what so ever so i know i will get the hang of it I'm dissabled so i have all day to practice all the time in the world. thanks for the input
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:52 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
I think a good 4 channel coax in no wind condtions really helped me learn controls. There was a day not very long ago when my Esky Big Lama was hard to fly, now it's a big S107! The 120 will be hard, it's always tough to smash a new bird, especially a premium brand like blade. I would get a cheap 4 channel first. OR Get a Nine Eagle Solo pro, it's a micro, but easy to fly and will teach you proper controls and flies outside if there's not too much wind.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:24 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67sam View Post
Hi I'm looking at getting a meduim size 4 ch heli i dont want a micro what do you pro's recomend I'm new to 4ch helis but i red alot and I'm willing to take the time to learn i know its goning to be tuff but I'm up for the challange. dont be scared to voice your info i dont bite thanks 70 views and no response
Quote:
60 views and no opinion i thaught this was a good form
Just as impatient as on the cars section, I see.

I can assure you this is a good forum, with tons of knowledge and experience, but sometimes it can take more than an hour to get an answer.

If you are still looking for a 4 channel to "move up on the heli ladder" I would suggest trying a smaller, micro size, 4 channel first. A 120 is far too agile to fly inside, especially with only 3 channel experience. It's not just simply a matter of an extra channel to control, your mind will also need to adapt to a different control layout on the transmitter. Most 3 channel helis have forward/backward and left/right on the right stick, and throttle on the left. With 4 channel you either have left/rigt on the left stick, combined with throttle (mode 2 control layout) or left/right and forward/backward on the left stick, and throttle and roll (sideways sliding) on the right stick (mode 1).

Since this topic was created some very controllable 4 channel single rotor helis have been released. The V911 is a good option, as well as the aforementioned Solo Pro, although the later released Solo Pro 270 is easier to fly. The Helios 100 is another option, quite agile, but also very stable. All these helis are almost as stable as a coax, but can be used outside with little breeze, and are small enough to fly inside the house.

Hope this helps and makes you think a little better about this forum.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:51 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Yup by golly I'm thinking them 'lil Nine Eagles rigs are probably the best "bang-for-buck" for a 4 ch., #1 Son's got one coming in tomorrow to be wrapped for Xmas, and a boatload of 3.7v LiPos from Hong Kong should be here sometime during the week...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:23 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
the 120 is decent. it was the first heli i ever flew even though i almost ran into somebody. I dont own one but i know its not that bad
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
946 Posts
You may not want a micro but there few if any decent four channel non-mirco's. There is the Multiplex Funcopter but I don't know anyone who has flown it. Its not cheap and you need to d some building with it.

I have seen some suggestions for the 120SR. I say, DO NOT BUY this heli. Toobig for indoors, won't fly outdoors in any wind, and the stabilization leads to pendulum and/or Toilte Bowel Effect. It swoops around in cirlces that are difficut to control.

There are also very few good quality four channel coax's. The Blade mCX2 is lots of fun, flies well indoors, and has great parts availability, but is micro. I had an Esky Big Lama which stopped working after a few flights.

If you want to fly outside, the only good option is a 6 channel CP type. Don't be intimitated. They can be setup to fly like an FP but without the weird stability issues. Start small and work up: Blade Nano CP, 130X, 450X, and then build a good kit like Align. You will need a programmable radio like a DX6i. This will let you tame down the CP's until you get the hang of. Also get a simulator like Phoenix.
rhodesengr is online now Find More Posts by rhodesengr
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:59 AM
Oh no!
Wales(UK)
Joined Jul 2004
127 Posts
MJX F-45/F645 end of......
Scarlet is offline Find More Posts by Scarlet
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,612 Posts
Are you sure?

Quote:
Since you say you're new to heli's do you realize that a micro is anything up to 400 grams in weight and that a medium size would be even heavier and in the mini class?

If parts breakage and related costs is of any concern you might want to go with something small, light and relatively rugged like a V911 to learn on. If I was starting over that's what I would do. Just my 2 cents worth, but I'm no expert.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:38 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2012
205 Posts
What's funny is that back when I first started helis I went on Dynam's website and went on the section for "newcomers" and read the section on 4CH helis and they had nothing good to say about them even though they sell them too, and now that I have experience with 4Ch I have to agree. They said to stay away from 4CH if you do not want heartbreak from crashes. In my opinion 6CH is much easier to fly!
My first non co-axial heli was a Exceed-RC Classima 300 which is like the Indy car of 4CH and I didn't know it at the time. I had lots of fun and learned alot but also crashed alot. After learning how 4CH does not like wind and reading more about 6CH, I went and got a Walkera V400D02 and finally was on the right track. The V400 is flybarless so it has a 3-axis gyro which makes all the difference in the world! Less maintenance and repair with out the flybar, and the 3G gyro helps to keep the heli under control especially in the wind. I finally was able to work on flying skills instead of just trying not to crash.
Looking back now I would have not messed with 4CH at all until AFTER I learned 6CH.
I loved that 300 Clasima but at the time it was too much for me to handle and one day I had it flying too high and lost orientation and it floated to the next neighborhood a mile away. No chance of recovery even though I put out flyers. Some kid is probably hiding it under his bed with it all broken up and drooling all over it! Thanks for your post. I am new here and so far everybody has been very helpful. I am glad I joined!
Evercopter4 is offline Find More Posts by Evercopter4
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:56 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
Since you say you're new to heli's do you realize that a micro is anything up to 400 grams in weight and that a medium size would be even heavier and in the mini class?

If parts breakage and related costs is of any concern you might want to go with something small, light and relatively rugged like a V911 to learn on. If I was starting over that's what I would do. Just my 2 cents worth, but I'm no expert.
This is a very old thread fellas...O.p is long gone.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion