HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:43 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, AL, Newville
Joined Feb 2005
7,802 Posts
Discussion
Newest project nears completion

I cut this 44" span wing on my CNC not too long ago. Got it glassed and all the electronics mounted. Tossed on some covering I had laying around this evening. Figured I'd show ya'll a couple pictures of it.

I tried a few new things on this one. We'll see how it does this weekend, weather permitting. Should be over the 120mph mark easily. Not painfully fast, but fast enough to have some fun. Besides, how fast should you really go with a prototype on the maiden flight.

Maybe I'll throw some more power at it later on, maybe I'll leave it as is, maybe it will suck and I'll scrap it. Wont know till it flies!

Laine.

Edit: Covered and hinged the elevons this morning. Put some silver pin stripes on. Lookin pretty decent. Add control horns, winglets and a prop and its ready to balance and maiden.

EDIT: Well, there it is. Balanced without adding an ounce. Its all done and ready to go. BUT... a problem in the power system stopped me from doing the maiden flight. I'll figure it out.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Last edited by lmopar69; Mar 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 05:57 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
4,982 Posts
Looks great, nice colors.
If I "know" you Laine, you will add a few more amps to it to get it super fast.

I could never fly something that fast, but I don't fly full scale helies for a living.
Cool looking. bet it will be an eye opener.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Maiden Flight today.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:01 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,802 Posts
Thanks Orrin. I'll find out in a few if the rain holds off. My flight tonight got cancelled so I just finished it up. Thunder in the distance though.... Hurry up and charge battery!!!!!

Flight report to follow later if all goes well... or if not.

Laine.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:14 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,802 Posts
Problem in the power system. Its acting like there is a loose wire. I'll figure it out and get this thing in the air ASAP.

Laine.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
Pre-Pocket-Rocket!
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,565 Posts
Like the landing gear, should keep the underside VERY clean!!!
but where are the wheels?
Also like the airbrake, looks killer effective!!
Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More guitar stuff
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,802 Posts
Thanks Mike. I figured a chair would make an excellent landing gear/air brake. It was pretty easy to attach to the plane. 1/2" x 6" lag bolts. I havent gotten it in the air yet though. Seems the chair is causing some issues with the prop thrust and power to weight ratio.

Laine.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:39 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,802 Posts
Just went and flew it! I had to change the motor to a bigger motor and a smaller prop (long story). 850 watts with this setup at 36 amps. Since I have an ICE Lite 50 in it, I'll prop it up a bit for the next time. The motor can handle way more, so I'll just shoot for 50ish amps and go with it. Even with the little 5.1x4.5 prop it was pretty dang quick. If I can get away with a 5.25x6.25 I' will put that on it.

Anyway, I would guess 80- 90ish mph in level flight. It was smooth and stable at full throttle and at very low speed. I took it up high and tried to get it to stall, spin and do anything bad at both full speed and low speed, but, it took everything I threw at it and I never found anything that made me nervous. It just flew good!

Now, if I can get the right motor/prop on it and get the speed up to where I want it I'll be in heaven.

Time to get to work on my other project so I can maiden it before SEFF also.

Laine.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:25 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,534 Posts
I'm like Orrin, I couldn't fly that fast. Well maybe just once.. Looks good!

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Christmas is hereby Cancelled!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:16 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,802 Posts
Thanks Dan. I'll try to get some video of it today.

Laine.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:38 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,802 Posts
Flew it again today with a 5.25x6.25 prop. MUCH better speed and I downloaded the Castle Ice data. 900 watts and only 40 amps. Gotta love that. Keeps the power system nice and cool. I would guesstimate it to be 110-120 mph now. Not bad for a 44" plane with some drag added to it.

Laine.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 12:57 AM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,252 Posts
Nice laine! Glad your flying a fast wing again!

Casey
XtremeWingRC is offline Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:53 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,802 Posts
Me too! I love that I can yank and bank at full throttle again! Something about the sound of a wing thats just fun. This one slows down pretty well too, not that I'll ever fly it slow for very long though.

I have another one on the table right now that I have to finish up. Gonna take a bit more time though. This full time Army job thing sure gets in the way of building planes!

Laine.