HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 30, 2012, 01:31 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
7,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmaster911 View Post
I ordered one! I hope it has some type of manual with it, at least give me the CG half accurate...........?
The wing planform is very simple. The CG could be worked out in a flash using the online CG finder and 30% MAC.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gravity hot wire foam cutter.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:45 AM
Hundredaire
Newcastle Australia
Joined Oct 2008
1,565 Posts
I'm still not feeling the pushrod exits at the most fragile part of the boom.I hope someone posts some detailed pics soon.
mams1 is online now Find More Posts by mams1
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:09 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,544 Posts
the wings do look Jart LT-ish, as said above:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=788

initial reports indicated the model would be made in a composite way, but it does look like a JART-LT wing on a new fuse.
Each to his own but it doesn't look great to me.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:16 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabmaster911 View Post
I ordered one! I hope it has some type of manual with it, at least give me the CG half accurate. How are the wings secured to the fuse?
I bet you can tape the wings on, mouldie style.

Other than that, you could put in "rare earth" magnets or multiplex wing locks.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:55 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined May 2011
31 Posts
Hey all,
Just picked mine up from Skip Miller today, before heading out to get in some climbing. That said, I haven't had a ton of time to dig into the kit. I'm sure Cody can fill everyone in much better, but for what it's worth here's some general info from the hour or so that I spent looking it over after I got home. Although I have been only sloping/flying for a year, I have built a Speedo 1.2 and it is one of my faves.

1) First impression. Cody had the plane set up for pics when I walked in the shop and I have to say I was pretty impressed with how it looked. The build quality for the price is pretty great. The plane, particularly the fuse, looks very impressive. The pics on R2's site don't really do it justice. The covering and on the wings and tail look dialed as well.

2) Inside the fuse - Having built a 1.2 Speedo, the pre installed servo trays and ample space on the new Speedo are a blessing, considering the tight build of the 1.2.

3) Wing joiners - The wings attach via one solid (not a tube) main wing spar. Additionally, there are two smaller carbon guide spars (approx 2"-3") that coordinate with holes on both wings on the leading and trailing edge. The main function here I assume is to prevent the wings from rolling forward or backward.

4) Wing Joiners II - It has two eye screws with a separate spring with hooks on both ends. Both wings have pre marked holes for these screws. My first impression is that the spring hooks to the eye screws and this pulls the wings together. However, when I asked Cody how this was supposed to work he wasn't sure as there is no real way to get the spring stretched across the fuse and hooked to the other wing. I have seen this system used in other planes, but those planes allowed you access through the top of the fuse to pull the spring across and hook to the eye screws. I did screw one eye bolt into one wing, put the wing by the fuse and then fished the other eye screw out of the other side of the fuse with some wire. From here I screwed it into the other wing (which was difficult) and when I let go there was still a good 1/4-1/2" of play. So that said, I have no clue how these would be functional... Maybe I didn't screw the eye screws in enough?

5) Wings III - With the three spar system, these wings will in no way break away like the original Speedo. I have had a handful of unfortunate landings out here in CO with my 1.2 Speedo and each time the tape split on cue, the wings parted and damage was minimal if not non-existent. This doesn't appear to be the case here. However, the wing joint/connection seems to be way more solid on the new version. The only thing I can think that would prevent the wings from getting damaged on a rough landing would be to remove the center main spar altogether, get the spring/eye screw system screwed down so it pulls the wings tightly to the fuse, then use the two 2-3" guide spars on the leading and trailing edge and then tape each wing seam at the join. The springs would then act as a shock absorber of sorts (if they didn't rip out of their anchors). However, seeing as the guide spars go into each wing no more than an inch, I cant imagine this would be stable enough of a set up... So I guess the key is no rough/cartwheel landings.

6) Exit holes for the elevator rods - Dual elevator pushrods, forked at the end of the pushrod. I'm guessing this gives more, precision, control and less flexing of the rods. Additionally, they include two stiff tubes, maybe two inches long, that I assume can be glued in to the exit holes to further reduce any flexing issues.

7) Colors- Ronald McDonald??? Seeing as this is a Chinese product, I'm guessing the colors could be more of an homage to the Chinese flag perhaps???

8) Random red strip of velcro - No adhesive on either side. Not sure what this is for....

9) COG - Cody had mentioned something along the lines of 25-30% of the wing cord... root cord??? Not exactly sure.

10) Overall impression - A solid deal for the price. In my opinion from an aesthetic standpoint this plane is pretty sharp looking, regardless of the "happy meal" undertones. With it's larger wing span if it flies anywhere near as nice as the original Speedo I'm sure this plane will be a crowd pleaser.

Saturday and Sunday look like they will be great days for sloping here in Boulder and I can't wait to get this built. Had I not gone climbing today I could have knocked out this build pretty quickly, much quicker than the original. That said, I'm hoping to hear back from Cody at Skip Miller or R2 to get some beta on the build a few of the questions answered so I can have this thing dialed in for the maiden.

Hopefully this helps a bit.
GR8FOLDED is offline Find More Posts by GR8FOLDED
Last edited by GR8FOLDED; Mar 31, 2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:52 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,994 Posts
Thanks for the "unpacking the box" review !
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:32 AM
Cable ties & ductape
United Kingdom, Wilmslow
Joined May 2011
2,489 Posts
Can't wait for the flight review. Should be in stock in the UK next week.
DodgeRC is offline Find More Posts by DodgeRC
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:56 PM
Albany, CA
Joined Oct 2004
214 Posts
I got mine from Skip Miller yesterday. Well-packed and undamaged. The fuse is very light and sleek. The covering is flawless. Complete set of hardware including servo extensions. It looks great with the wings and stab on. If it flies as well as the Speedo 1.2 or the JartLT it will be awesome.

The only miss I think is the tail design. Way more complex than needed. The elevator is split to accommodate the rudder which is small and only extends about 1/2" below the elevator anyway. I can see splitting the elevator for a scale plane, but not if you don't have to. A copy of the Speedo with one pushrod out the fuse end for the elevator would have been better. The new one has 3 pushrods and 3 large holes in the sides of the fuse right before the fin.

I'm thinking of putting on a full elevator and either shortening the rudder or flying without. If I build it stock, I may try to fill the fuse at the cutouts with foam to strengthen it.

One last issue: the cutout for the stab is about 1/16" too wide so it will have to be shimmed. You could choose to go up or down a couple of degrees if you wanted.
dylancoffin is offline Find More Posts by dylancoffin
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:24 PM
The Lone Sloper
USA, NY, Orchard Park
Joined Apr 2007
143 Posts
zbytekfr is online now Find More Posts by zbytekfr
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:27 PM
The Lone Sloper
USA, NY, Orchard Park
Joined Apr 2007
143 Posts
Cody; I hope you are bringing some to the Toledo Show.
Frank
zbytekfr is online now Find More Posts by zbytekfr
Old Apr 05, 2012, 12:32 AM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined May 2011
31 Posts
I agree on the elevator set up. I scratched my head about this for a bit as it does seem unnecessarily complicated.

One option for the elevator that was mentioned by one of the guys at Skip's shop was that you could possibly set up the elevator to mirror the ailerons to some degree, like a V Tail configuration I assume...This could add to the aerobatic capabilities and tightness of rolls. Not excatly sure how you would do this, I'm guessing some type of mix function. It would require another servo and two seperate elevator push rods (as opposed to the stock forked one), but if the rudder is really not needed, then the rudder servo could be used in lieu of adding another.

Regarding the 1/16" gap in the cutout for the stab, while I used 5 min epoxy on my 1.2 Speedo for this, I decided to use white Gorilla Glue to take advantage of its expanding properties. This seemed to do the trick as it filled the gap nicely, not to mention matched the fuse color.

DylanCoffin, did you use the clear spacers that go between the aileron servo covers and the wing? Although I wasn't sure if they were necessary, I decided to use them. I may end up replacing the covers and taking them off.

Other than that, it was a pretty easy build. All that's left is to dial in the COG and get the throws set. Unfortunately it'll have to wait until I get home from a work trip this week. However, I should have some maiden info on Friday as Boulder is calling for some wind.

Cheers!
GR8FOLDED is offline Find More Posts by GR8FOLDED
Old Apr 05, 2012, 07:40 AM
Clinton, Utah
Joined Apr 2008
284 Posts
I received mine two days ago and it all looks good so far. I haven't started the build yet but will do so in the next day or two. Concerning the elevators and rudder, obviously you could go without the rudder but why the heck would you? Thats what will add a whole new dimension to this baby. Give me the Rudda Budda
fabmaster911 is offline Find More Posts by fabmaster911
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:36 AM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbytekfr View Post
Cody; I hope you are bringing some to the Toledo Show.
Frank
Yea we will have some there.

Cody
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:39 AM
Wind Powered
United States, CA, Goleta
Joined Oct 2004
538 Posts
Are you guys planning on just taping the wings to the fuse?
I think that will be fine.
Thoughts?
george@dream-flight is offline Find More Posts by george@dream-flight
Old Apr 05, 2012, 09:52 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp