Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:42 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwalch View Post
Electric Speedo anyone??

http://www.r2hobbies.com/rc-aircraft...sailplane.html

Little screamer motor (3200kv).. 6x3 prop... 20A ESC.. and small 2 cell lipo.
We have the Electric Speedos coming, and they are only $174.99 plug and play. It comes with the servo, battery, motor, speed control, prop, spinner, charger. http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Spee...ric_p/2124.htm

They should be in by the end of the week.

Cody Remington
Skip Miller Models
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
Hi Woody, welcome to RCG !

My suspicion is that the "original" Speedo turned out to be a complete fluke, I bet even the designers never knew it was going to fly so well ! Truly destined to become a classic...

Chris
Hi Woodstock, thanks for the welcome and a very happy Xmas to you and yours!

I believe the original designer was a Japanese glider guru so maybe not such a surprise..........

Really fancy a Baudis Banana as my next rung of the ladder- smallish, fast and fun, and I don't feel the need, or require the expense, of a 4 servo wing.

Anybody have one for sale as the entire UK seems to have stopped selling them!!!!

Regards to All.

PS. I was out with the 1.2 Speedo yesterday in winds forecasted to gust at 40mph. The hardest bit was launching it but once in the air I had a blast. One of the 'spectators' commented that he was amazed that it could move into the wind at all let alone pull some of the stunts I was doing. Amazing 400 grams worth of soarer
wooody is offline Find More Posts by wooody
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:10 PM
Manchester UK
Joined Jun 2004
414 Posts
''Really fancy a Baudis Banana as my next rung of the ladder- smallish, fast and fun, and I don't feel the need, or require the expense, of a 4 servo wing.

Anybody have one for sale as the entire UK seems to have stopped selling them!!!!''

Baudis banana I think as been out of production for a good few years now I think you'd have a hard time getting hold of one, saying that there was one on ebay about a year ago in pretty good nick as well it went for about 120 with all the servos from memory.
Was a great model can't understand why they don't still make it ?? Good Luck!

Dave.
catfish is offline Find More Posts by catfish
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:37 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
Banana

The Baudis Banana was a great performer, but it was built extremely light and fragile!
You would not want to hit anything in the air with it or land on rough terrain LZones!
However, with that MG06 airfoil, it was very fast and aerobatic.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:10 PM
Manchester UK
Joined Jun 2004
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
The Baudis Banana was a great performer, but it was built extremely light and fragile!
You would not want to hit anything in the air with it or land on rough terrain LZones!
However, with that MG06 airfoil, it was very fast and aerobatic.
I don't think it was built lighter than a lot of other top models of the time I have a Ocelot which was built very light probably lighter than the Banana and I've landed in some really dodgy LZ and I've had it eight years and its still going strong.
You wouldn't really want to hit anything in the air regardless of what your flying or how tough it is because the end result will be the same!

I know a few people that still have the old Banana and still fly them if one of them wants to sell I'd have one tomorrow great little plane.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:29 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
I don't think it was built lighter than a lot of other top models of the time I have a Ocelot which was built very light probably lighter than the Banana and I've landed in some really dodgy LZ and I've had it eight years and its still going strong.
You wouldn't really want to hit anything in the air regardless of what your flying or how tough it is because the end result will be the same!

I know a few people that still have the old Banana and still fly them if one of them wants to sell I'd have one tomorrow great little plane.
You seem to have more first hand experience than I do Catfish. That is all good to know thanks. I'm only quoting a couple of local reports. I would still like one myself actually.

As for mid air collisions and such, I would disagree. My homebrew composite Wompoo has endured two head on mid air collisions with minor LE dings. It has also suffered vertical dive encounters with Terra Firma after lots of RF link problems - total loss of control. After one of these, my flying buddy pulled it out of it's own nose cone which was still imbeded about 150 mm into firm clay! It is one helluva tough little airplane.
However, it flies at a far higher wing loading than the more versatile Banana and is a good lift conditions plane only. The Banana will fly in very light lift I understand and is more aerobatic.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:03 AM
Manchester UK
Joined Jun 2004
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
You seem to have more first hand experience than I do Catfish. That is all good to know thanks. I'm only quoting a couple of local reports. I would still like one myself actually.

As for mid air collisions and such, I would disagree. My homebrew composite Wompoo has endured two head on mid air collisions with minor LE dings. It has also suffered vertical dive encounters with Terra Firma after lots of RF link problems - total loss of control. After one of these, my flying buddy pulled it out of it's own nose cone which was still imbeded about 150 mm into firm clay! It is one helluva tough little airplane.
However, it flies at a far higher wing loading than the more versatile Banana and is a good lift conditions plane only. The Banana will fly in very light lift I understand and is more aerobatic.

Jim.
Hello Jim,
I know what your saying but the Wompoo seems to be an exceptionally tough bird (isn't it made of EPP foam) I'm really talking about 'Crunchies' and when they hit terra firma from a great height! for this reason 'mid airs' its not really something I consider when buying a slope plane because your gonna have a to buy a new plane in most cases or have a awful lot of gluing to do no matter what model it is!
I've found that within reason the lighter the model is the less damage there is on a bad landing the only time I've damaged my Ocelot on a really messy landing is when its been fully ballasted up. I do like some of the EPP models though I have a M60 and I love it.

Cheers.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:28 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,922 Posts
Quote:
I have a Ocelot which was built very light probably lighter than the Banana and I've landed in some really dodgy LZ and I've had it eight years and its still going strong.
That's amazing that youv'e been able to keep that together so long. Ocelots ARE very fragile. So are Bananas.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:36 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,922 Posts
Back OT: it would be nice if there were more user reviews of this bigger Speedo! Anyone?

I see also on Skip Millers' site there is now a "moulded wing" version, but I can't find anything like that on R2's site (for international buyers)? There is mention of foam, so I'm wondering to what degree this is moulded, or what materials the wings are constructed from?
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:39 AM
Manchester UK
Joined Jun 2004
414 Posts
Ah....well I must be doing something right...
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:42 AM
Manchester UK
Joined Jun 2004
414 Posts
Quote:
Back OT: it would be nice if there were more user reviews of this bigger Speedo! Anyone?

I see also on Skip Millers' site there is now a "moulded wing" version, but I can't find anything like that on R2's site (for international buyers)? There is mention of foam, so I'm wondering to what degree this is moulded, or what materials the wings are constructed from?
I'm VERY interested in this 'all moulded' version mainly because I have a Jart LT and I fancy those wings!
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:56 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,922 Posts
Aha! So it's confirmed then, this Speedo uses the LT wings? I had an LT but sold it on NIB. So, I'm not sure (can't remember now ), but weren't those wings built up?

I use my 1.2m Speedo in the same way a lot of people keep a foamy: for testing untried conditions, etc. It will take an enormous amount of abuse and flies in all sorts of conditions. I would like to have a spare plane with a similar "mission specification", but not foam, and this "moulded" 1.43 version does look interesting...
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:13 AM
Manchester UK
Joined Jun 2004
414 Posts
Quote:
Aha! So it's confirmed then, this Speedo uses the LT wings? I had an LT but sold it on NIB. So, I'm not sure (can't remember now ), but weren't those wings built up?

I use my 1.2m Speedo in the same way a lot of people keep a foamy: for testing untried conditions, etc. It will take an enormous amount of abuse and flies in all sorts of conditions. I would like to have a spare plane with a similar "mission specification", but not foam, and this "moulded" 1.43 version does look interesting...
Don't take my word as gospel but I think they would fit perfectly, even if they didn't looks like a good plane in its own right!.......yes the LT as built up wings no complaints with them but I'd like a set of spare moulded ones in case I break the other ones!!

Sold it on NIB ! I hope you got a good price for it, one was up for sale second hand a couple of years ago on Ebay and it went for a ridiculous price !
Old Jan 02, 2013, 03:01 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
Quote:
Hello Jim,
I know what your saying but the Wompoo seems to be an exceptionally tough bird (isn't it made of EPP foam) ..........Cheers.
Nope! Composite moulded fuse with vac bagged wings. Aussie Eucalyptus (hardwood) LE. Build thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1339865

Apologies to others for drifting off topic!

Jim.
RCG Plus Member