HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:04 AM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jan 2005
751 Posts
Speedo 1.43 Wing Infirmity

About 5 hrs Hobbs time on my Speedo 1.4 & it's clear that the wing needs reinforcing to load this thing up to where its possible potential lies. Damn thing looks fast but just isn't at 21 oz.

Wing feels like it has a cap spar at the back of the "D" leading edge section; the inadequacy seems to be more at the rear of the wing, especially across the two bays that straddle the joint at the inboard end of the aileron header. Maybe a doubler on the cap spar just across that span plus a new light plywood sub-spar toward the trailing edge in the same span area would be enough to bring this plane up to truly enjoyable performance. Could cut in from the flat underside & notch sub-spar & existing ribs to interlock & do minimum disturbance to the color scheme?
CFIMEI is offline Find More Posts by CFIMEI
Last edited by CFIMEI; Jun 06, 2012 at 10:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:58 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,921 Posts
Hmmmm.

Might be an opportunity to go for almost full-span flapperons?
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock 1 View Post
Hmmmm.

Might be an opportunity to go for almost full-span flapperons?
Hmmmm...here too!
Old Jun 06, 2012, 12:35 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
780 Posts
Hey Guys,

The new molded version of the Speedo Pro 1.43 will be released on our site in the next week or so. That will be the super strong 1.43 Speedo. We are expecting a price point of $175.

Cody
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 06, 2012, 03:54 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
A new stuff newbie question. It is it possible to apply new stuff on top of oracover or whatever is already on there? I've thought of this for the speedo 1.2 but not done any tests or research on it yet. I would thinking adding newstuff to just the bottom side and capping the leading edge with electric tape or other type of trim adhesive would work nicely if it was actually possible.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Last edited by Twyl; Jun 06, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody303 View Post
Hey Guys,

The new molded version of the Speedo Pro 1.43 will be released on our site in the next week or so. That will be the super strong 1.43 Speedo. We are expecting a price point of $175.

Cody
So what about those of us who accepted your opinion that this plane is "very aerobatic"? Do we get free functional wings or some discount on them ??
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:50 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIMEI View Post
So what about those of us who accepted your opinion that this plane is "very aerobatic"? Do we get free functional wings or some discount on them ??
LOL

Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:03 PM
Joined Jan 2005
751 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Cody
I don't need "super strong". I just need "plain vanilla strong" & thought that's what I was getting!!
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:47 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,664 Posts
Do you really think the molded version will be much better?
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:53 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
So what about my idea of adding new stuff on top of the covering? Any merit?

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:46 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,921 Posts
I've heard of people doing it the other way around (Profilm over NS), and they use a layer of tissue paper in between to prevent air bubbles. I think bubbles maybe an insurmountable problem with NS over film....

I definitely wouldn't do it to the original Speedo. That is plenty fit for purpose in stock form IMO.
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:27 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,501 Posts
I'm not sure NS will go taut over the gaps in a built up wing.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Jan 2005
751 Posts
Fixin' Speedo Wings

Why should we even have to be doing this exercise? IMMEDIATE RECALL of these inferior wings is justified! There is a safety factor involved too. These planes have sharply pointed noses with lead in some of them & maybe even LiPo batteries in the worst cases (irresponsibly). I foresee penetrated human skulls & raging bushfires upon inevitable wing failure!! Call Beijing & revoke "Most Favored Trading Partner" status on China too!
Last edited by CFIMEI; Jun 07, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:33 AM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIMEI View Post
The Speedo Pro is very acrobatic, and very functional. I have attached a video of us just messing around the the Speedo Pro 1.43. If you are looking to do high speed ballasted acro then the Molded version will be the plane for it. It will be very stong. The built up speedo is not designed for full ballast high speed tight turns.

Speedo Pro 1.43 FUN at NCAR (1 min 45 sec)

Cody
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jan 2005
751 Posts
Quote:
The Speedo Pro is very acrobatic, and very functional. I have attached a video of us just messing around the the Speedo Pro 1.43. If you are looking to do high speed ballasted acro then the Molded version will be the plane for it. It will be very stong. The built up speedo is not designed for full ballast high speed tight turns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1AHIFplaCk

Cody
I'm not necessarily looking for "high speed ballasted acro", I just wanted a larger plane that could do most or all of what my 1 meter Bobolink can do without the wings bending severely or breaking. I have never used ballast but this thing is a slug without it. Maybe even with it it might not be very snappy, I don't know. In your early demo vid you note that it's being flown without ballast which, I would conclude, implies that it can be flown with some. This is obviously not true!

So what kind of rebate do I get for having bought the wrong plane without any knowledge that the "right plane" was next in the pipeline??

Richard