HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 07:44 PM
Albany, CA
Joined Oct 2004
212 Posts
A friend with a Jart LX bought a new Speedo just for the wings. They are a direct replacement except they have less sheeting. It would be easy to remove the covering and add a little more to stiffen the wings. I am just going to keep flying mine and see what happens.

Thanks Hamburglar for the wing loading tip and your confidence in the airfoil. I found a 6 inch bolt that weighs 4.6 oz and can slip into the fuse centered at the cg. Just have to figure out how to keep it in one place.
dylancoffin is offline Find More Posts by dylancoffin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2012, 12:06 AM
F3K all day
Joined Dec 2011
1,681 Posts
Nice. I am from boulder too and I am interested in slope planes. I have a topsky dlg now, but I think I will eventually get a slope plane. Have you ever flow just west of foothills community park on violet? I live right there, so I think it would be convenient if I could fly there.
jasonafriedman is offline Find More Posts by jasonafriedman
Old Jun 01, 2012, 01:21 AM
Alphabets make great soup
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jul 2008
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancoffin View Post
A friend with a Jart LX bought a new Speedo just for the wings. They are a direct replacement except they have less sheeting. It would be easy to remove the covering and add a little more to stiffen the wings. I am just going to keep flying mine and see what happens.

Thanks Hamburglar for the wing loading tip and your confidence in the airfoil. I found a 6 inch bolt that weighs 4.6 oz and can slip into the fuse centered at the cg. Just have to figure out how to keep it in one place.
The LT had balsa wings. The LX came later and had moulded composite wings.

On my LT I used a fishing sinker with a hole drilled in the middle that slipped over the joiner (a la Mach 1). But I guess the speedo CG is a bit further back as they look to have a much longer tail moment.
Hamburglar is online now Find More Posts by Hamburglar
Old Jun 01, 2012, 05:43 AM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Quote:
It would be easy to remove the covering and add a little more to stiffen the wings.
Indeed. I'm already thinking just such or similar thoughts. The ribs would have to be sanded down a bit the thickness of the sheeting though ... Maybe notching the ribs and adding in carbon spars? I'm thinking on doing that maybe on the undersides of the wings only, so as to keep the top colour decor undisturbed...

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:21 AM
Impatience is a virtue
Denver, Colorado
Joined Nov 2008
676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonafriedman View Post
Nice. I am from boulder too and I am interested in slope planes. I have a topsky dlg now, but I think I will eventually get a slope plane. Have you ever flow just west of foothills community park on violet? I live right there, so I think it would be convenient if I could fly there.
Check the Colorado Front Range thread for slope sites. That said, in Boulder NCAR is one of the primary sites.
MCH27t is offline Find More Posts by MCH27t
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jan 2005
749 Posts
New Speedo 1.4

Put another 1:15 on my Speedo 1.4 today in conditions beginning as good and ending as barely flyable. Lots of launches, lots of landings. In 1G flight you can see a definite change in the wing line where the ailerons begin. True for upright & inverted & about the same amount for each. Looks like a Pike or similar wing in upright flight. When loaded the crank is greatly exacerbated & also about the same for either direction. The point at which the distortion "breaks" is also where the double rib & trailing edge gusset are located. Don't know if there is any separation between those double ribs or whether it's just the termination of the tapered trailing edge member that accounts for this.

Anyway, you don't really need to pull a heavy accelerated load to get a pleasantly plump loop in either direction & the French fudging shouldn't stress the wings even as much as restrained looping does as immediate stall or partial stall happens on the trailing wing so the total flying wing load is immediately relieved in part, at least, & the moment of the flying wing acts about a mass centered well to the other side of the fuse.

Got really comfortable with this plane quickly but it is no close-in VTPP star by any means. I would place it in the advanced trainer category & describe it as a semi-floater with only moderately effective ailerons. You have to allow plenty of room for low level rolls & return from inverted Prez du Pilote stuff, especially after flying a smaller & much more responsive plane with full span ailerons.

It looks nice & I have gotten compliments on its aesthetics. Need to get cosmetic eyelid surgery so that I can claim I built it myself!

Got to thinkin' what I would have done decades past while flyin' a Comet stick & tissue rubber powered Taylorcraft if someone had predicted that someday I'd be flyin' a Communist Chinese built model glider, distributed through a "Red State", with a Super High Frequency radio system with microcomputers all over the place & all kinds of amazing new materials in the plane itself. I'm sure I would have "refudiated" that prophesy & have laughed all the way to Sunday School & back!
CFIMEI is offline Find More Posts by CFIMEI
Last edited by CFIMEI; Jun 04, 2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:26 PM
Albany, CA
Joined Oct 2004
212 Posts
Let me preface this post by saying that cocktail hour has started.

I was thinking about how to add ballast and I had this big bolt lying around. 4.2 or 4.6 oz. It slides right in above the joiner and little carbon rods. Hardly has any effect on cg. Should increase speed and penetration right?
dylancoffin is offline Find More Posts by dylancoffin
Old Jun 01, 2012, 10:23 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jan 2005
749 Posts
Quote:
Let me preface this post by saying that cocktail hour has started.

I was thinking about how to add ballast and I had this big bolt lying around. 4.2 or 4.6 oz. It slides right in above the joiner and little carbon rods. Hardly has any effect on cg. Should increase speed and penetration right?
Should hasten wing failure by a good bit too! By the way there's a tightrope artist preparing to cross Niagara Falls on a wire soon (really).
CFIMEI is offline Find More Posts by CFIMEI
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:16 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Darn; it's all a bit disappointing. It was I suppose a big ask for the original Speedo to be improved upon (or even matched, but with added rudder) . I suspect that that model is a bit of a "fluke" in that it turned out to be 200% better than the designer ever envisaged it would be... Not something that happens every day.

I've chucked my kit into the rafters alongside all the other boxes of models that I'll "get around to" eventually ...
Last edited by Woodstock 1; Jun 02, 2012 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Would be nice to learn to spell one day...
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:23 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,493 Posts
Maybe something like this Chris
http://www.blejzyk.pl/model-faun.html
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:38 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Hmmm. The wing from that would make a good upgrade, but, @ EUR 240 for just a wing, I suspect maybe no ...
Old Jun 03, 2012, 01:59 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,493 Posts
Yo mate. Those prices are polish zloty. 240 zl is about 60 euros.
The 2.4m version is 160 even after being imported to the uk. The 2m one is 107 in the uk.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 03:25 PM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Phew! Mucho relief! Doh!
Old Jun 03, 2012, 04:14 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,493 Posts
The faun is 92.50 from the UK supplier. If I didn't have a zip55 and many others to build, I would give it a go.
Old Jun 04, 2012, 06:14 AM
-----
Joined Dec 2005
6,919 Posts
Get that Zip done!