Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,876 Posts
Discussion
Can anybody help an old man out

Just completing my first arf balsa plane. I used to build control line planes 50 years ago, but these new things are different. Got this thing almost finished with only a couple of blunders both dealing with ca hinges. It really makes a cosmetic mess if you don't do it right. Thankfully, one on the wing is on bottom and the other two on elevator don't just jump out at you, but they are there and apparently will have to stay. Anyway, I am down to the last glue job and it scares me more than the others. It is the canopy - a pretty floppy piece of plastic basically shaped to fit the contours of the plane. It will definitely need to be held in place with something while glue dries. Manufacturer says use canopy glue which I have, but this stuff is like water and takes forever to dry. I can see myself making a total mess of doing it this way. Is there any pretty well idiot proof method of attaching these canopies? Plane is an eflight Twist 3d 480 if that makes any difference.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:21 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
I use tooth picks. just drill then dab a touch of glue on the tooth pick and install then cut off.
You can also use epoxy and alcohol for clean up.
A high grade acetone is great for cleaning up and removing CA
Why don't you come over here we'd love to have you
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post21103905

We're all twist owners and kinda of a brotherhood
and always glad to help
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,876 Posts
Interesting idea. You actually drill through the canopy and into the balsa, then insert the toothpick with glue? Am I understanding right?

Checked out your forum, didn't think fuel guys liked us electric guys. I did fuel engines 50 years ago in control line and when I started back last year with rc, vowed electric only.
bobly is online now Find More Posts by bobly
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:35 AM
pd1
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Jun 2006
2,135 Posts
I hold canopies on with a couple of small pieces of masking tape and glue everywhere the masking tape isn't.
When dry, I remove the tape and glue where the tape was.
Canopy glue stays pretty much in place, if you don't use too much.

I like the toothpick idea, I'll have to try that one.
pd1 is offline Find More Posts by pd1
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:58 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
O there are alot of electric guys over there. There are some guys who don't understand electrics.
Some of the best advice on an electric twist can be found there.
I fly all 3 types my self.
We do alot of BS'ing over there but many of us have wondered about the new LIL Twist.
Maybe you could give us some insight.
BTW yes you undertood me correctly about the tooth pick method.
I've used screws as well but they tend to tear the canopy up when I mix the balsa with the dirt.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
I just posted over at the twistacholic's thread and you'd be amazed at how many of us fuel guys have electrics.
So please don't think you are not welcome over there.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:14 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,123 Posts
Saw in another thread where a guy did something similar to the tooth pics with push through sewing needles . Just cut them short drill a hole in the canopy and push them in with a little glue . once dry they look like little rivets
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:22 AM
Perth Australia
Joined Feb 2010
499 Posts
one thing i know - do not use CA glue on canopies . try some tiny self tapping screws . they work well and can be removed .
swervo is offline Find More Posts by swervo
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,313 Posts
Instead of "riveting" it on you could just tape it on with spots of tape to the model. Then apply that white canopy glue (I'm assuming it's something like RC56) to the exposed parts. Let dry overnight then remove the tape tabs and glue those parts with more glue. Do these things the last thing before shutting down for the day so the glue has overnight to dry.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:13 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,916 Posts
The last canopy I did with "goop". I taped it on where I wanted it on the side of the canopy. I then placed tape 1/16 inch away from the canopy on the fuse front and rear only. Then tape on the canopy 1/16 inch from the fuse front and rear. This left a 1/8 inch "gap" for the goop. I applied the goop and let dry. I removed all the tape and then did the sides of the canopy the same as the front and back. By leaving the 1/8 inch gap with the tape I got nice clean lines when I pulled the tape off. The plane later met it's demise and I was able to peal of the goop and save the canopy for the rebuild. The goop came off clean with very little trouble. The canopy survived the crash and did not depart the fuse despite the near complete destruction of the plane.

I hope this make sense.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, NH, Bedford
Joined Jan 2012
196 Posts
I'm at a similar point in my SA FullHouse 500 build and need to attach the canopy.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1589628&page=2

The build manual says CAREFUL use of medium CA or canopy glue. Yet another trip to the LHS if I need canopy glue.

@bobly - Did you decide on an approach? I'd be interested to hear how it went.
campbelltf is online now Find More Posts by campbelltf
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:51 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
i take a LOW TEMPERATURE hot glue gun & tack it. peel the hotglue later.
low temp aint enough to melt plastic. if your gun is high temp, you'll know real quick tho
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 03, 2012, 03:39 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,457 Posts
I use silicone bath tub caulk....make the smallest of holes in the applicater tube,install a small bead of glue around the edges.
small pieces of tape holds it until it dries.
It can be removed without damage if need be at any time. start a small knife cut,then gently peel it back.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports