SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:59 PM
Crash and Burn
Joined Sep 2011
678 Posts
Discussion
Blade 450-3D hovers centered, but looks tilted to the right ?

My Blade 450-3D appears to hover correctly, but the helicopter looks like it is tilted to the right. If I correct the tilt to the right so that it looks straight (e.g., by modifying the subtrim), it will pull to the left when I try to hoover. Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?

I checked my head in the mirror to see if it was screwed on correctly to the shoulders, and I also double checked the size of each of my legs, and the heels on my construction boots -- everything checks out. The floor of my home office is also level.
lawlist is offline Find More Posts by lawlist
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:11 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Don't all RC helicopters tilt to the right to counter left drift?

OK, maybe coaxials and quads don't tilt to the right.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Mar 21, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:18 PM
Crash and Burn
Joined Sep 2011
678 Posts
My other helicopters all seem to look centered when hovering centered (Trex 250 and Trex 450, and the Blade MCPX), but this Blade 450-3D is noticeably tilted to the right. I don't think this Blade 450-3D has crashed since I put on all new stuff a few months ago -- new main shaft, new feathering shaft, new tail boom. The last time I flew it, I thought the same thing -- it looks tilted to the right.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:53 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,461 Posts
I have 2 450's and both have a slight tilt to the right ... it's normal.

The rotor torques the frame ... tail rotor counters ... net result is side drift ... you tilt the rotor to hold it ...
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:26 AM
Crash and Burn
Joined Sep 2011
678 Posts
Thank you both (Ribble and solentlife) for confirming that my head is screwed on straight, and the helicopter is indeed tilted to the right and that is just the way things are meant to be. Your help is greatly appreciated -- I was scratching my brain trying to find the source of the tilt -- potentially damaged landing gear, potentially damaged main shaft bearing mounts, etc.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:47 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Depending on the tail power level related to everything else, the required tilt can be different. Larger helis running in idle-up modes tend to have the most tilt.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:50 AM
Crash and Burn
Joined Sep 2011
678 Posts
Ah, that would explain the tilt I am seeing -- I increased the head speed to 100% the last time I flew it (and still have it at 100% -- 0 / 100 / 100 / 100 /100), and I think that is when I first noticed the tilt to the right. Previously it was kept around 70% and I never noticed a tilt.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:47 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,260 Posts
Pretty much all helis have the skid down hover, except for raised tail helicopters. The raised tail offsetts the torque twist from having the counter acting blades on the tail on the same or similar rotational axis as the main rotors. In a word the heli hovers perfectly flat. I am currently field testing new belt driven 450 and 600 raised tail prototpes designed by Helihaven. They work amazingly well.

I remember first seeing my skid dip in a hover quite a few years ago. I thought something was wrong also. Kinda freaked me out.

Luvmyhelis is offline Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Last edited by Luvmyhelis; Mar 23, 2012 at 07:57 PM.