Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:18 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2002
1,049 Posts
Motor for a Global Free Style? Please Help...

I'm looking for a motor for my new Global Free Style 40 ARF. Budget is a consideration right now so I'm looking for a decent power plant on a budget. My first choice is to put in a four stroke (love the sound) and was looking at the Magnum 80 or 91 but I took some dimensions and it looks like the 80 and 91 are too big without a fair bit of modifications to the plane and I don't really what to get into that. Next choice is the OS 71 four stroke but it's pretty pricy.

I guess my question is, with an 0S 61 four stroke will this plane be a total dog? My choices now seem to be a OS 61 four stroke or the OS 61 two stroke. I know the 61 two stroke will give considerable more power but I'm not really looking for all out 3D performance, just a good aerobatic sport plane with some reasonable vertical performance.

This instructions call for a 61 size in a four stroke but I know that they always spec on the conservative side.

Thanks!!
dklassen is offline Find More Posts by dklassen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2003, 05:47 PM
Morristown,TN
Joined Oct 2003
290 Posts
I choose an 2 stroke 60 engine from Magum there nice sound and smooth awsome ride so check them out

Kevin
glowpwer flyer is offline Find More Posts by glowpwer flyer
Old Oct 25, 2003, 04:20 PM
Plymouth
Joined Aug 2003
5 Posts
my mate is running a YS 63 on his and it goes very well

Dean
Dean Brain is offline Find More Posts by Dean Brain
Old Oct 25, 2003, 10:16 PM
San Diego
Joined Oct 2003
22 Posts
The YS is the most powerful 4 cy. made- You are better off with an OS-61FX unless you can get a decent and light 4 cy. I.E. Saito-72, YS-63 OS-70 surp. etc..

If you want to stay near 46 size the Irvine-53 will work well also-
patriot 11 is offline Find More Posts by patriot 11
Old Oct 25, 2003, 11:07 PM
Proud Pro Bro # 13
Houston, TX
Joined Jun 2003
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by glowpwer flyer
I choose an 2 stroke 60 engine from Magum there nice sound and smooth awsome ride so check them out

Kevin
Hey Kevin, how do you know all this stuff ? I thought you where just beginning to get into this hobby ?
Ulf Rieder is offline Find More Posts by Ulf Rieder
Old Oct 26, 2003, 08:43 AM
Morristown,TN
Joined Oct 2003
290 Posts
I learn quickly and i am in areospace club..and i love magum i flew with and magum and os engine 2 stroke befor nice sound

kevin
glowpwer flyer is offline Find More Posts by glowpwer flyer
Old Oct 26, 2003, 06:16 PM
United States, NC, Harrisburg
Joined Mar 1999
1,141 Posts
My Freestyle has a Saito .72 on it.This is a very good setup.I would also think the YS would be more powerful.The new OS 70 Ultimate would probably be a great choice also.I think OS 4 strokes are more user friendly than the others.The Ultimate is supposed to be lighter than the Saito,and pumped like the YS.

If you are forced to go with a less expensive option,I would say get a 2 stroke.The "less expensive" 2 strokes are much more reliable than the "less expensive" 4 strokes.You could fly it on the cheaper 2 stroke while you save up for the 4 stroke.
Hammer is offline Find More Posts by Hammer