HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
27 Posts
I bought the KillerPlanes.com kit for my Hawksky (my first plane). I installed it myself. It consists of many, 17+ depending on the kit, CF rods placed in particular places throughout the plane to reinforce the entire structure of the plane. Bottom line... IT WORKS. That being said, going full speed straight down into the ground - you’re still going to break something.

Once you purchase the kit, Steve sends you YouTube video installation instructions if you’re installing the kit yourself.

A simulator & a plane with this kit is a good way to get into this hobby because EVERYONE crashes at first. Broken planes when learning to fly are why people lose interest in this hobby.

My .02
///DarkSide\\\ is offline Find More Posts by ///DarkSide\\\
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:11 PM
Zombie flyer....
United Kingdom, Huddersfield
Joined Mar 2010
137 Posts
I've never had one, but wasn't correx touted as nearly unbreakable? I seem to remember watching videos of these planes (Box with wing affairs), plunging to earth from height, being dusted off and reflown.......
toffa is offline Find More Posts by toffa
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:39 AM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,372 Posts
Correx is pretty good, but it's not as good as EPP or EPO foam. It tends to crease when it's compressed too much. Good foam bounces back.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Aug 2010
103 Posts
Crashproofing

It's kind of fun reading these! Since I actually have experience with and without our Crashproofing kits, you might say that, comparatively speaking, I might know a little more about them than someone who's never seen one.

For everybody who worries about the name, it's just a trade name- we thought it was easier to say than "Airframe Reinforcement", which is what it is, or "Impact Stress Distribution", which is what it does. We could change the name, though- I think it might be time for a contest!

I started designing reinforcement kits when I decided that I wanted to stay at the field all morning on Saturday, instead of flying for "X" minutes (where "X" is unknown, just like high school math) and then going home to fix my broken plane for a couple of hours. As time went by, I discovered, through a series of "unplanned landings", most of the places that planes liked to break at 20 MPH. Then at 30MPH. Then... Some of the planes, like the Hawkfighter (which comes with Crashproofing), have done crashes of over 60MPH with little or no damage. Since we couldn't afford Industrial Light And Magic for our little videos, WYSIWYG- you're watching real planes surviving real crashes. (The Hawkfighter, by the way, flies like the proverbial bat out of hell. I just can't seem to keep my wingtips more than 6" off the ground, and since I'm a guy, my "six inches" may be a little off...)

It's kind of a no-brainer that Carbon Fiber and plastic parts makes styrofoam stronger- TOOTHPICKS make styrofoam stronger. For any of you who have yet to discover the symbiotic relationship between Carbon Fiber and Foam, here's the secret- Carbon Fiber keeps foam from ripping and compressing. Foam keeps Carbon Fiber from shattering. A match made in heaven, kind of like me and The Lovely Denise (Speaking of The Lovely Denise, Killerplanes was her idea, so- it would be nice if you refrained from insulting my beautiful and gifted wife. Unless you can't help yourself. We'll understand.)

As many of you know, design has a lot to do with how well anything performs. The Yugo is a car made of steel, plastic and glass. The BMW is a car made of steel, plastic and glass. One of them works better. It's because of the design (and quality of workmanship, of course). Maybe we're not a BMW, but we're at least a Toyota. Or maybe Chevy. Or maybe...

Anyways, I don't need to say much about our Crashproofing kits other than this: let's see a video of what your plane looks like after a crash like this! (Of course, I'm not speaking to all you guys that never crash! LOL!) I can tell you this: I never leave the flying field until all my batteries are dead. Or until The Lovely Denise says "Honeeeeee....want some candy?"

">http://www.youtube.com/embed/x5tRX3K4Kwc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

PS- to the guy who's worried about our Chech Border Shepherds, chasing planes is what they're bred for, quite literally. You'll have to take it up with them, since they won't listen to me about it. We did a test. They RUN from real meat when they hear a plane or helicopter. We've got it on video.
Killerplanes is offline Find More Posts by Killerplanes
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Killerplanes; Apr 20, 2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: video didn't show
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:07 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,947 Posts
I like it! And since Steve was too modest to include a link to his own website (hows that for spamming!??) I think he deserves one here. http://www.killerplanes.com/

There may be no such thing as crashproofing but....... You'll just have to come up with a new name that means the same thing. This looks like the real deal to me. Steve, thanks for clearing that up.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:31 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,309 Posts
i my shelf like the whole idea of the reinforcing to keep damage down, and flying time up. i have done my own shelf learned set up. took a lot of time, and effort (damage) to figure out where to put all the stuff. i think it is great someone came up with a how to kit. hope it get more flyers out there
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:59 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
"crash proof" is just synonym for "heavy and flies like crap" or "bad engineering".

build to FLY
not to CRASH

what typically needs to be fixed is pilots & their attitudes. not airframes. lulz
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:03 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,309 Posts
i really think the goal is to have fun enjoy your time flying there is a learning curve here and any thing to help is a good thing to each his own. i have helped new flyers with repairs, and reinforcing there planes and there still flying today, verse learn to fly or quit flying thinking
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
393 Posts
Quote:
"crash proof" is just synonym for "heavy and flies like crap" or "bad engineering".
build to FLY not to CRASH
what typically needs to be fixed is pilots & their attitudes. not airframes. lulz
The problem with blanket statements like this is that they don't apply to everyone. This is a hobby that people do for fun. Some people are perfectionists, some take a "jack-ass" approach. Some like to practice landings over and over until they're perfect, and others are happy if they can land right-side-up. Some fly a couple of mistakes high, others fly at 0.1 mistakes high. To each their own, but there's definitely a place for tough, durable planes.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
yes they do.

ive totaled 5 planes in going on my 20th year of R/C next month.

building to crash = crappy flying planes
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old May 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
Scott
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Jul 2010
47 Posts
If you've only crashed 5 airframes in 20 years your either not flying enough, low enough, fast enough, or low enough inverted. I'm obviously just making a point.

Look at crashproofing as an insurance policy. Oh, by the way it works very well.
I installed a killerplanes kit in a jpower P-38. It came with over 70 rods and took me over 6 hours to install. It cost me 38 bucks. Being a much better pilot than Steve, I thought I would never use it. However, I have had 2 incidents in 20 flights and the P-38 came out of both "crashes with minimum damage. Busted the front retract slamming it into the runway trying to turn final on a deadstick landing. Then on flight 16 lost the starboard motor and spun it into a field before I could figure out what was happening. Broke a prop on that one.

The crashproofing kit comes with detailed directions that are worth 10 or 15 bucks on their own. I would have never guessed how to install the CF rods. Everything is precut and I would challenge you to try to buy the rods at your local hobby shop for less. Hobbyking maybe, but who wants to wait?

I have yet to see anyone post that has bought their kit that says they were dissatisfied. The only complaints I've read are from guys that haven't tried it or don't like the name. (I think going on about the name is petty)

Every time I've called or emailed, Steve has gotten right back to me. He's a he'll of a nice guy on top of offering an innovative product.
moodified13 is offline Find More Posts by moodified13
Old May 11, 2012, 10:26 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,996 Posts
Seems like a good idea. Probably doesn't really add much weight, And the only times I've had issues with foam when crashing is when it rips...this would fix that Probably not going to buy an entire kit, but on one or two of my planes a 2mm cf rod or 3 could probably go a long way.
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old May 11, 2012, 10:57 PM
Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodified13 View Post
If you've only crashed 5 airframes in 20 years your either not flying enough, low enough, fast enough, or low enough inverted. I'm obviously just making a point.
Maybe he flies once every four years.
prefabu is offline Find More Posts by prefabu
Old May 20, 2012, 12:09 PM
Joined Aug 2010
103 Posts
Here's one of those "heavy and flies like crap" planes with Crashproofing installed, if you're interested-

The DYNAM 1200mm P-51 MUSTANG - 4 CELL UPGRADE (9 min 33 sec)
Killerplanes is offline Find More Posts by Killerplanes
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 07:55 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
If you want a crash proof plane get yourself a 3DHS 540 Edge, at least mine is!!!
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee