HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
United States, FL, Lake Placid
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Discussion
What About Large Semi-Scale Gas Powered Model Boats?

There has been allot of buzz on my companies forum "Club Enforcer" in the past couple of weeks about large gas scale and semi-scale RC models. IT all started with one of our good customers who sold me the molds for an original 1968 Moppie a couple years back.
I didn't do anything with it (because Asia won't give us a break) , but over the past couple weeks I started to go through my companies storage building looking at several large molds for fiberglass hulls we had made or working on in the 80's and 90's. My intentions were fiberglass hulls with CNC cut wooden super structure, or even selling just bare hulls. We were going to call this new division, "Half Glass Hulls", still sounds funny
Anyway I still have a large CNC router, and the molds and or patterns are long paid for, and just maybe my true intentions of 30 years ago may take form? Before I made Enforcer Boats, the first gas boats we made starting in the late 70's were semi-scale, powered by converted ECHO string trimmer engines. I actually thought that is where the industry would head, there were several of us in Fort Lauderdale building them at the time. It goes to show, never make plans.
If you guys have interest please go to our website and join our Club Enforcer too and talk with some of the guys. If I see the potential develop I can provide a small fleet pretty quick. One I have 90% completed is a 65" - L X 16" Beam PT Boat. We also have a 55" Coast Guard Cutter mold set ready to rock and roll. Let's hear how you scale guys feel, I'm all ears.
whobbies is offline Find More Posts by whobbies
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:14 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,208 Posts
Biggest issue, here in Portland, Oregon, No city park allows
internal combustion model boats in the park ponds.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,677 Posts
Same here in the north east you aren't allow to run gas boats in
ponds or lakes.
Band1 is offline Find More Posts by Band1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 32 Ford rat Rod
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:10 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,357 Posts
Has to be gas? "Scale" speeds are usually quite compatible with electric.

Does the Moppie hull look something like this?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2016317

(I fixed it to look like this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2153892 )
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2009
822 Posts
Have a big hull on hand purchased over 20 years ago. Thought about using a small child size waterjet setup in it It's probably 60 inches long, 20 inch beam and about 12 inches deep. Its a semi deep V.
Nederlander is offline Find More Posts by Nederlander
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:45 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,058 Posts
Do you have pictures?? What kind of USCG cutter is the 55'' mold???
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
No but I know that boat, and I knew Richard back in the day. I would hang around his factory always making something new. Richards main stay was fantastic Sport Fish boats and Motor Yaughts. You can get alot of the information about the Moppie on our forum, there are pages dedicated by me and one of his biggest fans.
The Moppie was actually the first Vee bottom boat, and Richard is much of the reason for it being here today. Check it out, it's great history.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
The hull was built from a real 110' Dennisen "tank test model". I modeled it after a full size Coast Guard boat that one of my employees was stationed on. The wheel-house was correct but aft of that was just an engine compartment, so we made it a little longer and I intended for a large raft or even a crane to be mounted.
I will sell the hulls only if you guys want to model your own superstructure. Most Coast Guard boats were one-offs so the skys the limit in design. This would be a good rescue or fire boat, and I did add a pad on the forward deck for a gun or water cannon. Go to our "Club Enforcer" forum and you can see pictures of a hull I posted. I will post some here as soon as I have some time and figure it out.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Not at all and I understand some limitations in different areas. Electric would work fine and we can make the hulls lighter for that usage. You could put two large motors easy in this hull and get scale speeds, however I have had this boat reach 40 MPH with a stock water-cooled Zenoah, and it handles great. A regular water-cooled string trimmer engine is perfect for speeds about 30 MPH, but if you can't have gas then electric is the way to go. I always thought it would be a nice addition to the hobby, and where I coined the phrase "LSG" some twenty years ago. Now the phrase is used in the racing community.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
Pat, What a beautiful model. Where and how did you get it?
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:02 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,357 Posts
The owner of the red boat picked it up from another Bertram owner... I just fixed it for him.
The model hulls were supposedly commissioned for giving out to the various teams running these boats.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Mar 22, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:29 PM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,567 Posts
Tony, long time no see. Hope that all is well. I still have the boat you gave me, at the IMS show. It has to be about 20 years old now. I fire it up now and then just to keep it running. My only fuel model.
I think that with the new brusless motors it would be no problem to make your hulls fast.
As to the scale hulls I know that your glass is good and elecrtic would not be a problem.

John Gill
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:04 PM
USA, NY, Laurel
Joined Aug 2010
1,093 Posts
how about this sort of moppie, a classic bertram! They used to build some really beautiful tough boats.
catchthis is offline Find More Posts by catchthis
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:05 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
1,996 Posts
Gas/Nitro, in So. CA

There are only two, and maybe one other, that I know of to LEGALLY, run any type of gas boats. This includes: LA, Orange, and San Bernadino counties. CB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Mar 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
Joined Mar 2012
81 Posts
They sure were in fact I remember the Off Shore races in Miami where he made a big name for himself, and there was a talented older man that I got to meet in the late 70's known as, "Model Man Jack" that I believe had his hand in that work. I encourage you guys to go to our site and join Club Enforcer and read up on the story of Richard and the Moppie. Richard told me the story how it all started with the Deep V, and though he was not the designer, he befriended the guy in such away that his name is associated as, the father of the "Vee" bottom boat. It is all there and quite interesting, especially the part where he was an avid sailboat racer in the 60's, and this guy with a power boat blew by him in rough seas with the weirdest looking bottom design he ever saw. He couldn't wait to get finished with his race to go find this guy, and of course he did.
Site Sponsor