HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:36 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
Well I'm noticing that every motor I suggested is now out of stock, Hobby king is about 80% depleted on all motors.

The pic below is of a couple motors that would work and are in stock just down the road from you in PA. The kv boxes I have "clicked" are the ones I would recommend on 4s as the closest to what you can use. Prop it with a 40mm max for the 3660 and an x442 for the 3674.

http://kershawdesigns.com/

I cant believe they have a 4074 in stock at HKing, 2000kv and will spin an x445 or x642

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
FighterCat

Forget Hobbyking go to fightercatracing.com and check out the motors there much cheaper shipping, it's in the USA and they have an old school approach to service and business you will not be disappointed.

Oh and R2 wants $72 to ship the Godspeed currently it cost $16 to ship my hull, motor, ESC and hardware from FighterCat but it's just info you decide.

You have to make an account at FC to see their wares when you get there click on terms of use and it will take you where you need to go.
wet banshee is offline Find More Posts by wet banshee
Last edited by wet banshee; Jun 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: add
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:18 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,086 Posts
FighterCrap is a joke, I have had two ESC's fail thru no fault of my own and went thru a huge thread about it on OSE where the guy actually called me names like "Dick"..............horrible company and PR.

I also mentioned Kershaw designs in my last post, its nearby the OP and has what he needs at better price than FC.

On top of that, just to see prices you have to sign up to the friggin place, then the nightmare begins.
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:08 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,793 Posts
Don't worry, if he keeps treating customers like that he won't be in business long.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:29 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,259 Posts
Fightercat is one of the best companies I have ever bought from, a really reasonable guy, I agree I have blown 3 ESC's at no fault of my own, one of which was replaced, one I contacted him about (he sent it to me for basically free) but I don't think he got the message, and one which just went. Remember, this is one guy who designed his own ESC's and is still working out the kinks.
boaterguy is online now Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
Hence the first rule in their terms of service is "don't be a dick" maybe that has something to do with it. I bougt an ESC from HK Hobbyking or Hong Kong, there was no directions on how to program it, none on their site then the ones they put up were wrong I tried to return it but would have had to pay almost as much in shipping, just like R2 hobbies I fought with them for months over a hull there is a learning curve in this hobby about who to and not to buy from. I will not buy one more item directly from Hong Kong period even from the US warehouse they still want you to ship it back to China before they will do anything, I will not be a Dick only relate my personal experiences which have been unfavorable towards my Chinese direct experience. Fightercat has so far been exemplary they are still getting set up and took an extra day to get my order together delaying shipping so they sent it Priority Mail and everything is exceptional in quality compared to the several hulls I've bought direct from China the price can't compare especially when you add shipping, so you have two people praising them and one guy dumping on em the simple truth is in the RC hobby in general there is seldom any kind of warranty cuz we all kinda run the hell out of everything at least I do and I like FighterCat sorry if I stepped on the Hobby Kings nose er toes no offense personally I'm sticking with them you have to make your own call. Good RCin to all of ya Peace.
wet banshee is offline Find More Posts by wet banshee
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:09 PM
THE Fighter Cat =)
FL
Joined Sep 2010
16 Posts
Our controllers have set several NAMBA and IMPBA records and have been used by renown racers around the world. Even imported into Germany to compete with Schulze... Their performance speaks for themselves.. They are only sold as OEM, non-retail units at the moment.

There's no guarantee that you can't burn up a perfectly good controller.. Carl proved that.. three times in a row..

Carl, I'm really sorry that you didn't properly install and configure any of your controllers. You presented yourself as an experienced FE boater and told me you knew how to install and configure them.

I sold you a new controller at cost because you needed to replace one that you had water damaged. You asked me several times for this monetary favor...

I was even nice enough to work with you and send another replacement, out of my own pocket.

Now, in return, you've sent nearly a dozen inflammatory, accusatory and threatening email and started bashing threads all over the internet.

I don't care about you wanting your money back.. What I care about is someone I embraced as a friend from OSE (you were certainly buddy buddy while you were asking for a discount) that I did a big favor for stabs me square in the back.

I think everybody will agree, that is being a **** and really hurts my feelings.

PS, to anyone reading this, my opinions and actions are independent of FighterCat LLC, Carl bought this through me personally, via PM and email.

FighterCat57 is offline Find More Posts by FighterCat57
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
THE Fighter Cat =)
FL
Joined Sep 2010
16 Posts
Oh, Neil, sorry to interject into your thread...

PM/email/contact me and I'll send you a free controller for any of your applications.
FighterCat57 is offline Find More Posts by FighterCat57
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:18 AM
Danmark, Sjælland, Sorø
Joined May 2011
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FighterCat57 View Post
Oh, Neil, sorry to interject into your thread...

PM/email/contact me and I'll send you a free controller for any of your applications.
Hi dude, Feel free to interject into any of my threads
bostong is online now Find More Posts by bostong
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:15 PM
roooostinnn
United States, NY, Glens Falls
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
so i finally have some cash together and id like to start buying some parts this weekend, i just want to know what motors to look for and what ones to stay away from, a motor/ prop combo with an esc that can handle it all with no problem and id prefer everything to have water cooling
angrycat is offline Find More Posts by angrycat
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:35 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,830 Posts
Hi AC,

There are many motors available that can handle the Systems cat, the question you should ask is, if the Systems can handle the motor...

The design is outdated and without significant reinforcing and altering the underwater section and changing the drive train, this ABS hull will not handle much more power than the 14 cells NiMH and the 9,6V 700 Neodym motor, turning a 42 - 45 K series prop, which was the 'pinacle' of motorisation in it's haydays.

Most Systems I know/knew of, that will run as quick as a good monohull are modified (often by German boaters), none of them can keep up with a modern cat as the Miss Geico in stock form.

Check Youtube for the Systems, there are very few Systems that are set-up correctly and run well (and not irratically driven by lunatics...).

This one runs nice:
Graupner Systems Brushless (5 min 4 sec)

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Last edited by pompebled; Mar 08, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Addition.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:37 PM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
thank you, ive just been looking for a general and very quick/ reliable set up so i can run this boat finally after restoring it. i will most likely go with a leo motor but im still trying to decide on a nice water cooled esc, ive herd good and bad about the hobbywing seaking 180 amp. still trying to decide on a motor/ prop set up but after seeing that vid i think i can finally go with a 42mm prop now with a 3674 leo motor, what do you think?
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:16 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,830 Posts
Hi AC,

The set-up in the video is a Leopard 3660 1900Kv on 6S, which wil give you close to 38000 rpm under load.

Judging by the way the boat is piloted, the builder knows what he's doing.

I can't see it well in the video, but the boat seems to have a steering outdrive, most likely modified in order to be able to handle the power of the leopard, or replaced by a metal version of it, of a flexcable version.

The steering outdrive is the weak point of the drive train, that's probably the reason the relative small 3660 was chosen, to avoid overloading the drive train.

If you like the speed of the Systems in the video (which is on the edge, skillfully handled by the pilot), why take a longer can motor which will put more strain on the drivetrain?
Granted, the 3674 will be able to handle props up to 52 mm, or a metal 45 mm threeblade, but the design is already on the max with the set-up in the video and will not be able to handle larger props.

The extra headroom of the T-180 isn't really needed if you run a 3660 on 6S, a T-120 will do the job too.

Here's another option:
Apparition Ultimate Motor Upgrade - Turnigy SK3 3659-1900kv (7 min 54 sec)

The components used are listed below the video (when watched on Youtube) and, next to performing really well, are budget friendly.

I must say though that running 1900Kv on 6S is pushing it, as you can see the heavier and larger Apparition cat can barely handle it and that's a fiberglass hull.

Applying such forces on an ABS hull may be asking for trouble, to put it mildly.

In my opinion the 1600Kv version on 6S is a better option for the Systems:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...90mm_EDF_.html
Or this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Inrunner.html

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Last edited by pompebled; Mar 09, 2013 at 06:31 AM. Reason: Addition.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:26 PM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
so i think i might go with that turnigy edf motor, looks nicely built and can handle a little more power if i really want to push it. the next question is can i keep my flex cable drive that came with the boat and if i do what prop should i run with it? 2 blade 42mm or 3 blade and what pitch should i run along with composite or metal props? thanks for the motor suggestions and proportioning on power to weight and hull design. id like a nice running controllable boat that wont catch fire or break into a million pieces at too high of a speed or because it cant handle the power. everything is going to be water cooled so no worries on overheating anything hopefully. next its to decide on either a swordfish esc or that seaking esc. id like to order everything at once if i can this way i can completely build it next time im home from working on the road
Old Mar 09, 2013, 04:58 PM
roooostinnn
Joined Mar 2012
57 Posts
i will be fiberglassing the hull and filling the sponsons with foam to stiffen everything up and give that motor something to hold onto
Last edited by angrycat; Mar 10, 2013 at 03:00 AM.