HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
The Helinator. "AL BE FLYING"
Joined Jun 2012
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscott52 View Post
Hello all. It looks like this may be my best bet to getting an answer to my question. I have a brand new (literally, first flown yesterday) Blade mCX2, Spektrum DX6i, and Phoenix 4.0. The closest heli in Phoenix is the Blade mCX and it's extremely simple to fly. In trying to make the sim heli more like the real heli I went into the Edit menu and set realism to 100%. Now the heli in the sim won't get off the ground even at full power. It will is I go back to the Default setting. Some other helis won't fly at all even when set to Default. I'm reasonably sure it's a setting in the control menu or in the DX6i but everything looks right in my extremely limited experience. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks,.
I just got my DX6i too and followed these tx programming instructions. Scroll down to Post #109. Also, you'll want to get to the first page of the thread and see what mods he did. I followed most fo them and the only one I dont have is the CNC frame (in the mail!!!!!). HUGE DIFFERENCE when you follow his DX6i settings:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1504277&page=8

Let em know how it goes and if you have questions
sroc3 is offline Find More Posts by sroc3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroc3 View Post
HUGE DIFFERENCE when you follow his DX6i settings:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1504277&page=8

Let em know how it goes and if you have questions
Thanks, I was already using those on the actual heli and they did make a big difference over simply binding and flying the heli to the DX6i. My question was how can I make the mCX in Phoenix 4.0 fly more like my actual mCX2. Right now it flies more like a video game than an actual heli. It's still useful I guess for relearning control inputs from airplane flying but not very challenging.
wscott52 is offline Find More Posts by wscott52
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:32 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
Quote:
I'm reasonably sure it's a setting in the control menu or in the DX6i but everything looks right in my extremely limited experience. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks,.
You are on track. Lift is controlled by the pitch of the blades and the pitch of the blades can be set by your DX6i and by Phoenix. Click on Model - Edit - Main Rotor - in Phoenix and look at the pitch. The Minimum pitch - Mid pitch - Max pitch for the MCX2 should be 11 degrees. Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQs 101 will explain why.
CaptJac is online now Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
You are on track. Lift is controlled by the pitch of the blades and the pitch of the blades can be set by your DX6i and by Phoenix. Click on Model - Edit - Main Rotor - in Phoenix and look at the pitch. The Minimum pitch - Mid pitch - Max pitch for the MCX2 should be 11 degrees. Taking Off With RC Helicopters - FAQs 101 will explain why.
Thanks. I bought your books but haven't had a chance to do more than glance at them.

I did find these DX6i transmitter settings online that have helped a lot:

http://ginnylee.hubpages.com/hub/Set...ight-Simulator
Old Jun 18, 2012, 01:06 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
Quote:
My question was how can I make the mCX in Phoenix 4.0 fly more like my actual mCX2. Right now it flies more like a video game than an actual heli. It's still useful I guess for relearning control inputs from airplane flying but not very challenging.
Crank up your simulator speed to 125% - that will keep you on your toes. If you really want to be challenged - try the mCPx instead of the MCX. Your toes will really be wiggling then!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Hello all. It looks like this may be my best bet to getting an answer to my question. I have a brand new (literally, first flown yesterday) Blade mCX2, Spektrum DX6i, and Phoenix 4.0. The closest heli in Phoenix is the Blade mCX and it's extremely simple to fly. In trying to make the sim heli more like the real heli I,.
In fairness to Phoenix I thought I should add this. When I installed Phoenix and went to set my transmitter as the included DX6i it would not recognize it. To compensate for this I created a custom transmitter and named it DX6i. This was user error. I did not realize if the transmitter was already on when you plugged in the trainer cable the sim would not recognize it. After learning this last night I went in and deleted my custom transmitter. I created a new heli model in the DX6i and named it "Phoenix". I made no changes to any of the settings. I then turned the transmitter off and plugged in the trainer cable. I started Phoenix and went to Your Transmitter and selected the Spektrum DX6i with no trouble. I calibrated the transmitter and then set the model mCX to 100% in the Simple realism settings. It does fly now and is very close to my real mCX2. The custom transmitter settings I've found on Youtube and elsewhere may help or they may not. I'm not proficient enough to judge. I do know if you follow the setup and installation instuctions for the DX6i in Phoenix 4.0 and set the modeled mCX to 100% you get something very similar to the actual rc model. As a side note, the couple of electric CP helicopters I couldn't get to fly at all now fly and crash almost instantly so I'm guessing they too are now almost accurate.

Thanks for the help and suggestions but the problem was created by me.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Crank up your simulator speed to 125% - that will keep you on your toes. If you really want to be challenged - try the mCPx instead of the MCX. Your toes will really be wiggling then!
Thanks Cap'n. All in good time right now I'm trying to learn you don't pull up the nose to climb or bank left to turn left. I do ok for a while and then years of flying flight sims and airplanes kicks in and I end up in a wall. When that's not happening anymore and I can put the mCX2 pretty much anywhere I want it when I want it there I'll consider something more challenging. I'm guessing another week or two might do it. The original plan was to then move to a Blade mSR X and then a Blade mCP X2. After I can fly a micro CP with reasonable success I'll get something larger to fly outside. I'm learning that a larger heli might be easier to control so I may rethink the succession. The goal is to get something I can fly around my small back yard and maybe the park across the street.

Just curious but what were you a Captain of? Military? Planes? Ships? Technically I guess I can be a Captain too. In the 1980s I had a 50 ton USCG Captain's License (actually an Ocean Operator's License). I got it with time put in on yachts and never really had a paid Captain's spot.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 02:26 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
Quote:
Just curious but what were you a Captain of? Military? Planes? Ships? Technically I guess I can be a Captain too. In the 1980s I had a 50 ton USCG Captain's License (actually an Ocean Operator's License). I got it with time put in on yachts and never really had a paid Captain's spot.
Your USCG captain's license was a lot more captain than me. I used to watch Captain Kangaroo a lot and always wanted to be a captain. Thinking hard now ... I had a really neat tug boat you could pull on a string and it made a boop boop noise. That probably doesn't count though. When I retired, I had a 12 meter sailing yacht in the Canary Islands and was called captain on the radio by the harbor master. That shined my buttons pretty good. Plane wise - I went to a gliding school in Austria and after my first solo (which was pretty exciting) I was called captain. Other than that - never was a captain - got called a lot of other things though when I was teaching.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Jun 20, 2012 at 02:43 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Your USCG captain's license was a lot more captain than me. I used to watch Captain Kangaroo a lot and always wanted to be a captain. Thinking hard now ... I had a really neat tug boat you could pull on a string and it made a boop boop noise. That probably doesn't count though. When I retired, I had a 12 meter sailing yacht in the Canary Islands and was called captain on the radio by the harbor master. .
Hey, I'd say that's close enough!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:25 AM
Australia, WA, Mandurah
Joined Apr 2012
260 Posts
Quote:
In fairness to Phoenix I thought I should add this. When I installed Phoenix and went to set my transmitter as the included DX6i it would not recognize it. To compensate for this I created a custom transmitter and named it DX6i. This was user error. I did not realize if the transmitter was already on when you plugged in the trainer cable the sim would not recognize it. After learning this last night I went in and deleted my custom transmitter. I created a new heli model in the DX6i and named it "Phoenix". I made no changes to any of the settings. I then turned the transmitter off and plugged in the trainer cable. I started Phoenix and went to Your Transmitter and selected the Spektrum DX6i with no trouble. I calibrated the transmitter and then set the model mCX to 100% in the Simple realism settings. It does fly now and is very close to my real mCX2. The custom transmitter settings I've found on Youtube and elsewhere may help or they may not. I'm not proficient enough to judge. I do know if you follow the setup and installation instuctions for the DX6i in Phoenix 4.0 and set the modeled mCX to 100% you get something very similar to the actual rc model. As a side note, the couple of electric CP helicopters I couldn't get to fly at all now fly and crash almost instantly so I'm guessing they too are now almost accurate.

Thanks for the help and suggestions but the problem was created by me.
When using a 6+ channel tx in Phoenix, make sure swash type is set to one servo (No mixing). Otherwise you will have no throttle control. Ask me how I know
Angrydad is offline Find More Posts by Angrydad
Old Jul 01, 2012, 08:59 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
Repeat the exercise .. repeat the exercise

The emphasis of this exercise is to let the helicopter fly itself as much as possible - in other words - keep the cyclic centered as much as possible. Don't follow the helicopter with your cyclic - only give it an occasional nudge of correction. Start with a slow and precise lift-off. This is essential! If your heli is rolling to the left or right when you lift off the ground, you are starting with error and are forced to correct. Unless your timing is DEAD-NUTS the error will only get worse not better. Give a tad of aileron at the point of lift-off and then immediately center the cyclic. When you do it just right the lift off will become more and more vertical and more and more controlled. Once you are hovering (2 seconds without roll) the helicopter will look like it is hanging by an invisible thread - what a great feeling!! NOW - and this is the hard part - keep your cottin pickin hands off the controls and let it fly itself. DON'T try to follow it with the cyclic - this will introduce error! After the nudge - observe the movement of the heli for 1-2 seconds - if it is still drifting in the same direction - give it another slight nudge - but keep centering that cyclic. If it starts drifting in the other direction - give it a nudge to slow it down - remember just a nudge - than center the cyclic and WAIT to see what it is doing. By giving the cyclic small nudges and WAITING to see how it responds you will start reducing the drifting instead of increasing it!! If you give it too big of a nudge - you probably will in the beginning - don't chase it - land. Start again - the ground is your stabilizer if if starts getting away from you. After a few touch-and-go's something amazing happens - you start to feel like you are flying your helicopter - instead of your helicopter flying you. Practice hovering for longer and longer period of time in a smaller and smaller circle. LOOK MOM NO HANDS!!! You will be amazed how that unstable platform called a helicopter suddenly becomes stable. It is the 1st and most important step in learning how to hover! Have a great flight!!

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Jul 01, 2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:22 AM
Joined Jul 2012
1 Posts
Confused!

Hi Capt Jac

I'm confused by what you're saying here - you say that take off should be slow and controlled (and this is what I want to do too) - and you say only apply cyclic at point of lift off, but with my newly acquired (yes I'm a newbie too) HoneyBee v2, it's skittering about all over the floor. Sometimes it goes to tip, sometimes it just twists left. How do you do slow take off, without adjustments before lift off, and have it not move? Is my heli faulty?
SteveBe is offline Find More Posts by SteveBe
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:46 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,968 Posts
The 4 channel fixed pitch heli is a VERY different bird than a 6 channel variable pitch. The Honeybee is VERY skitterish. It is really not designed for slow lift off. The micros do a much better job - like the MSR or CB100. FAQs 102 rolls up its sleeves and gets into the how and why and glad to send you a sample version if you send me a stamp. Actually - don't need a stamp - just your email address.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:00 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBe View Post
Hi Capt Jac

I'm confused by what you're saying here - you say that take off should be slow and controlled (and this is what I want to do too) - and you say only apply cyclic at point of lift off, but with my newly acquired (yes I'm a newbie too) HoneyBee v2, it's skittering about all over the floor. Sometimes it goes to tip, sometimes it just twists left. How do you do slow take off, without adjustments before lift off, and have it not move? Is my heli faulty?
-You need to put rubber on the skids, either fuel tubing or rubber bands etc. I have an FP2 and when I take off it is slow and controlled...
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:09 PM
Redondo Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2007
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBe View Post
Hi Capt Jac

Sorry to jump in, but when I was learning on HB, I started out with Radd's School of Flight which essentially teaches you how to control the helicopter as it gets light on the skids and all the way through take off. As you increase throttle, the amount of cyclic (and rudder) that you need changes, but it is actually much harder to control the helicopter right on the deck as it gets light but before it takes off. The theory of the Radd school is that once you master cyclic and rudder control with the heli light on the skids, take off and hover are easy. In addition to cyclic control, the method teaches flight discipline on the ground and acquaints you with the cyclic characteristics of your heli before you have a chance to take off and crash. As CaptJac says, take offs are optional, but landings are mandatory.

Good Flying,

Alan
ailevin is offline Find More Posts by ailevin