SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Yeah to each his own Weedan, hey if it works for you, great, just wish it worked for the rest of us, the flybar design is inferior to the 120SR, IMHO and the gears strip about as many times as I have a hot meal each week.

Maybe you guys live on Mars or something, where the laws of physics don't apply.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, AL, Morris
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
This was my very first heli. I bought it at Helipal just a couple of months ago. I just checked, and it looks like they are still selling the CB180Z. It was advertised as being as easy to fly as a coax, but of course it is not.

The stock blades break with the slightest blow, and the main gear needs replacing constantly. The controls are sluggish without some tweaking. It was frustrating trying to learn on the thing, I'm surprised I stuck with it. I later got a Blade 120SR, thank goodness.
steveap1 is offline Find More Posts by steveap1
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:18 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Flying style and expectations have a lot to do with your level of success and satisfaction. 45 flybar helis have limited movement authority and do not handle aggressive behavior. They demand a much more relaxed style. However, with respect to the CB180Z, if you defeat the 3 axis gyro, it flies a lot better; no worse than the other CB180 models.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, MI, Ann Arbor Charter Township
Joined Mar 2012
1,168 Posts
Yes Balr14 you have it right.
Those two folks who like your 180, PLEASE get us a video of you flyijng your birds (and thank you).
My experience is as soon as you try anything *mildly* aggressive, if you do ANYTHING that exceeds the angle of a hover by very much it starts going fast in that angle and the angle keeps increasing and the bird gets going faster & faster all the while not matter what throttle or cyclic inputs you give it it just gets worst it will not level out and slow down the angle increases and it goes into a nose back or side high speed dive. as seen in the video above.
With zero wind and if I keep it flying slow I can fly it all day with no problems..
However where I live there is NEVER no wind outside, always at least 3-5 mph..
And usually 15 :-)
I'm very happy with my collective pitch birds :-) but not so good that I can fly them in the dark.
Another fun thing I like to do is fly in the dark with LED lights on them.
So far I've never lit the blades, have only done the anti-colision lights.
And on the CB180 and a coaxial.

We usually have a 3-5 mph breeze at night so the 180 remains useless outdoors for me.
N8LBV is offline Find More Posts by N8LBV
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,168 Posts
I do indeed love flying slow & stylish but I also like high speed passes & turns.
My latest thing is to do everything backwards (flying the helicopter backwards).
That took me a while to get used to but since, it has helped me greatly.
I've got pretty good at getting out of "hey that thing's gonna crash in the next 1/2 second" situations.

I'm doing lots of inverted in the simulator, not able to do this on my MCPX yet..
Every time I try inverted on the MCPx well you know.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
My silliest ineptitude is to half-commit, I don't know why I do it, I kind of cross my mind, so when I go over the washing line I will change my mind and it will be too late. Lol.

I don't think I can progress in skill because I have no desire to, I'm a lazy flier.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:16 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I can relate. I'm definitely on the downward slope with respect to flying skill. A combination of complications brought on by age and some loss of interest, are to blame. I'm finding I have more fun with quads, especially playing with the features.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
352 Posts
With our Cheese Head winds my little WL beetle is all I flying unless I want to pick up various parts across the yard or get attacked by hornets
weedan is online now Find More Posts by weedan
Old Jul 20, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
Haha - I might get a micro-quad, something like that Ladybird thingy, I like the look of it, easier the better.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,168 Posts
Practial use around the house for RC Helicopters

Did somebody say "wasps"?
I think they sorta sound like Rice Krispies here.
RC Helicopter VS Wasps (2 min 26 sec)
Last edited by N8LBV; Jul 20, 2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
352 Posts
Its getting all that sticky stuff off all the little parts and that tiny belt.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 01:28 PM
Owner1
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Mar 2011
345 Posts
I finally got a good video of my V200D01 screaming around. It's a close cousin to the CB180's, but apparently different enough.

I still manage to crash it at the end though.

Flying my V200D01 as Fast and Hard as Possible (3 min 36 sec)

Owner1
Owner1 is offline Find More Posts by Owner1
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,168 Posts
That was an AWESOME flight!!
Thanks for sharing.

I *think* both balr14 and I will say it's certainly not a *close* cousin but a cousin.
You can see a slight tendency to 'bob on stops I think that is due to it's head to body
weight ratio lots of helicopter and a very light flybarless topside.

This Helicopter does NOT have the 45 flyweight literally fighting you on every move :-)
It's flybar less (cool!) and it also has a more powerful brushless motor and a direct drive variable pitch tail rotor.
It seems to be a MUCH nicer helicopter and doesn't cost that much more than a 180D.

What caused your crash? it was very hard to follow + the video was fading out.
Seemed that it was during a less agressive part of your flight.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:34 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Nice going. The only thing the V200D01 shares with the CB180 is the frame. It's a much better heli and the one I suggest to anyone looking at those various flavors of CB180. Bobbing is not uncommon to many flybarless helis, especially those with convex blades; because head speed is on the low side.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Apr 2011
352 Posts
Good flight Owner1. You fly yours better than I fly mine, ate the tiny 45 gear on the drive end of the shaft last night.