HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Mar 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
REAL FLITE 4.5 or PHOENIX

HI all

Im new to the hobby and want to buy a sim.
REAL FLITE 4.5 with controller for $85
or Phoenix and use my dx7 for $140

or something different...
I've played the RF 4.5 at the LHS and it seems a lot tougher than flying a real plane, how are you supposed to learn turn coordination when the plane looks like a bunch of pixlated dots far far away?

I hate to go spend the big money on the Phoenix because Im sure this will end up collecting dust like my other video games as soon as I lean to fly. Are there missions on these games or do you just sit there and fly the plane in circles and loops?

Tahnsk for any help or input
jammerz is offline Find More Posts by jammerz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:37 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerz View Post
HI all

Im new to the hobby and want to buy a sim.
REAL FLITE 4.5 with controller for $85
or Phoenix and use my dx7 for $140

or something different...
I've played the RF 4.5 at the LHS and it seems a lot tougher than flying a real plane, how are you supposed to learn turn coordination when the plane looks like a bunch of pixlated dots far far away?

I hate to go spend the big money on the Phoenix because Im sure this will end up collecting dust like my other video games as soon as I lean to fly. Are there missions on these games or do you just sit there and fly the plane in circles and loops?

IMO, if you are on a budget, get Phoenix, if not get Realflight 6. It has a lot better physics than 4.5. Also, flying on the sim is easier than flying in real life Also, if you turn up the graphics (or use zoom) and keep the plane closer it won't pixelate Have fun joining the hobby!
Park_aviator is online now Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:46 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
The Phoenix seems more oriented toward European planes. I have it and don't use it. I bought a RF 3.5 with the newer style controller and upgraded to 6.0 and it has more US planes ... I use it.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,702 Posts
I'm sorry to point out, realflight viewed with HD or a powerful hard drive and photo field is exceptionally superior than most. I had "Many" express they could not tell difference between real or graphic. The smoke also behaves almost real like with proper settings. I think 4.5 can upgrade to version 6 and swap page offers many options. Sims have come a long way. Because of what I'm use to in past, like Atari 64 console. I freaked when I played Grand Turismo on PlayStation 3 in HD. I'm also a sucker for speed . I have flown my EF edge on RF, then went outside with my RC one and believe it or not...put headphones with nice tunes and maybe sit in a chair like I did a few times and a funny thing, it's like sitting at my PC but a much bigger peripheral
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Old Mar 22, 2012, 02:52 AM
London UK
Joined Jul 2004
2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammerz View Post
HI all

Most of the top 3D, Freestyle, pattern pilots I know still use simulators a lot! I stopped using Realflight because there was no upgrade path, you had to pay full price for a later version but Phoenix offers a long upgrade path free!
Threshold is offline Find More Posts by Threshold
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:52 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
I have RF and Phoenix and prefer phoneix personal taste though go try both see what you like best.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...