HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Dec 2006
115 Posts
Discussion
Stinger 64 - Maiden - First EDF Flight

I flew my Stinger 64 for the first time today at lunch - this was also my first EDF flight. All I can say is WOW!

The hand launch went really well - I used an overhand toss with my right hand and tossed at about 45 degrees high. I had plenty of time to get back on the controls. It only needed one click right aileron and two clicks up elevator to be rock solid in the air.

I was apprehensive about flying an EDF but it was no more difficult than my T-28, just faster. Also on landing I flared at about 3 feet off the deck, and then lost elevator control sooner than expected so the nose was a little lower than I would have liked it on touchdown.Thankfully there was no damage.

I did find the stock ESC to be very hot after the flight, which was about 10% full throttle and mostly around 75%. I may look into mounting the heat sink in the intake somehow. If anyone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it.
tdogg77 is offline Find More Posts by tdogg77
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:08 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,101 Posts
Glad u had fun

You ll probably get a better response here..http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1445001
vettster is online now Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DTRYER ripped me off!!!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:54 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,795 Posts
This plane was my first EDF too. I probably have 15 flights on it now. My ESC got hot until I moved it further back near the slits back in the duct work. It now stays cool. If you belly land, keep the nose up right before touch down, ot it has a tendency to dig the nose into the ground.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Dec 2006
115 Posts
I flew it again with a 2200 pack and this time the elevator was dangerously ineffective. I had been using 1oz of weight in the nose to balance at the factory point, but I think the CG should actually be farther aft, so I went down to 3/4oz in the nose. Now it has a lot more elevator control. Still when coming in for a landing you need to be a little nose-high because elevator control dries up quick.
tdogg77 is offline Find More Posts by tdogg77
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
St. Mary, Maryland, United States
Joined Dec 1996
8,289 Posts
Fantastic plane, with the stock components and a 3S 2.2 AH pack there is NO nose weight needed! Even with the smaller 1,800 pack it doesn't need any nose weight.
Chris True is offline Find More Posts by Chris True
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:05 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,795 Posts
I fly the 2200 pack too with no wieght.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy