Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
United States, NJ, Matawan
Joined Oct 2011
13 Posts
Discussion
help with RES electric choice 3m or bigger

hello everyone

k
i have been trying to decide on an aircraft , mainly for fpv .Im a complete noob to flying ( i have a pz radian set up for fpv and get great results ) BUT after repeated use the "airframe" gets "whipped" . ( i have 1 radian with over 1000 miles of documented with video flight on it ) , that aircraft is no longer "sound" to fly.

i have been looking at an RES called the pulsar 3.2 @esprit , they have a 3.8 on the way soon

my idea is the bigger the wing , the more payload , my guess is a thermal type plane should do this better than anything at carrying gear around .

i have plenty of 3s lipos all 2250 mah , i could paralell .

i realize the pulsar , will look like 1000 to 1300 bucks by the time its ready to fly . This number scares me because the only plane ive flown is the radian . I have smashed the radian plenty of times and realize something like the pulsar isnt an expendable plane .
Right now i have no issue with the radian w/exception of the fact that it looks like a "flying hack" , but 10 miles total flight distance and 45 min of flight time on a 2200 lipo , including osd , camera , video tx --my guess is going to be hard to beat ?
i have an admition to make-- I CANT FLY AILERONS!!!!
i started on a radian pro and vaporized 2 so far
so with the thought of not flying ailerons , what else is out there ??

id like the plane to be fiberglass , i like 3 meter or bigger ( unless somebody can talk me out of it (ie reeeel good 2 meter ) , 4-5 meter is big and pricey ( but im not saying no )
its got to be - rudder , elevator , motor -- spoilers are a nice option but not required
fuse has got to be at least 2.5x2.5 inches wide ( i like fiberglass )-( carbon is not out ) ( i have to jam my rvosd inside )

somethng that could handle 15 mph winds would be nice .

am i asking too much ?

if there is a plane that has ailerons , but can be flown well with rudder only , ill consider it .
cheaper is better
part avalibility is important .

what else is out there?
i dont see any parts for the pulsar 3.2
what to do ?

thanx for listening
Brian
raggedraider is offline Find More Posts by raggedraider
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 08:44 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedraider View Post
.....i have been looking at an RES called the pulsar 3.2 @esprit .....
I have one and it's a great flying sailplane for a RES setup
Quote:
i have plenty of 3s lipos all 2250 mah , i could paralell .
No need with the Pulsar, one 2250 is plenty for power

Quote:
so with the thought of not flying ailerons , what else is out there ??
Not much unless you want to build or do a conversion on a ARF BOT

Quote:
its got to be - rudder , elevator , motor -- spoilers are a nice option but not required
You'll want spoilers for landing and getting out of lift, the Pulsar loves to fly
Quote:
fuse has got to be at least 2.5x2.5 inches wide ( i like fiberglass )-( carbon is not out ) ( i have to jam my rvosd inside )
Room inside a Pulsar is very minimal
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:14 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,111 Posts
You should join a club and get some instruction before trying to fly the Pulsar ... it would be a shame to wreck it due to not having appropriate skills for actually flying the model.

Reconstituted beer coolers are one thing, a built-up wing like the Pulsar will NOT take much abuse in the sudden stop category.
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:18 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,418 Posts
Yes, what TK said ^^^^^^^^
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Oct 2011
13 Posts
You'll want spoilers for landing and getting out of lift, the Pulsar loves to fly.

the way i currently fly ( you might not want to hear this ) is , if i have to get out of lift i point the nose down , and loose a few thousand feet .
ever see a foamy make 70 mph ?

but being able to "park " on lift is a good idea.

thanx
anyone wanting to ditch a big glider ( electric ) in nj im interested.

thanx again
Brian
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,260 Posts
Stick with the Radian.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:23 AM
United States, OH, Loveland
Joined Feb 2007
354 Posts
Look into a getting a Multiplex Cularis.
sinowace is online now Find More Posts by sinowace
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Oct 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Stick with the Radian.
that is a very real option.

i get 10 miles total using a 2200 lipo , who would complain ?
150 bucks get a new one . = 10 radians to 1 pulsar 3.2 --( thinking only cost )

thinking through the ugly aspecs of fpv , should i run into an event that limits my control or ability to see and avoid i have the option to " discharge the aircrafts potential to ground" -- fairly rapidly.

certainly more reasonable to stuff a radian.

is it possible that the pulsar on the same battery capacity could go further ? and survive greater winds ? 20 mph would be nice .
im tired of foam aircraft , and i dont know why.

the real reason for a bigger more elegant craft is ( for me ) more capacity for gear ( stuff it with batteries and cameras )

i hate the thought of having to build something, perhaps a radian mutation by extending wings

what to do ?
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
United States, NC, Lawndale
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
If you want to move up from a foamie I think the Bird of Time (BOT) conversion is your cheapest option that has room for extra gear. You will want to add spoilers if you do not have a long landing area. I have converted a BOT and am considering getting into FPV with it. I know nothing about FPV but I have watched some videos that look interesting.
Tabasco is offline Find More Posts by Tabasco
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:45 AM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
... i hate the thought of having to build something, perhaps a radian mutation by extending wings ....
You could always build a Radian Twin. That seems to be popular for FVP. Doing a quick search, I found this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3301
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Mar 23, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Oct 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
If you want to move up from a foamie I think the Bird of Time (BOT) conversion is your cheapest option that has room for extra gear. You will want to add spoilers if you do not have a long landing area. I have converted a BOT and am considering getting into FPV with it. I know nothing about FPV but I have watched some videos that look interesting.
fpv is easier than you think , i went from no flying experiance at all in anyway to 10 miles no sweat , inside a year , only wasting 2 planes ( the gear survived )-and never loosing a plane . ( 1 plane was killed in bewilderment as the auto pilot was set for inverted controls and flew the plane inverted , 3 feet off the ground - with no skill ( im a noob ) i had no answer when i dis engaged the ap )

i have more time flying fpv than anything else , the biggest problem ( for me ) was being lost , and not wanting to believe my instruments . - i presume like many beginner pilots . at the very least glue a cheap compass in front of your camera .
i can now fly completly blind , in the dark , through fog , clouds , rain , snow. . even started to loose alt as my wings deformed with ice .
check raggedraider1 on youtube.
a good one to watch is cliffwood to keyport ( remeber to set yt for 1080 )
i cant link , yet
thanx
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:18 AM
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,833 Posts
I don't think the Pulsar is going to fit the mission profile you want. That plane is designed as a very lightweight thermal duration glider. It's not designed to lift a bunch of gear in it. For flying contests it's great but not meant for FPV stuff.

I think the Bird Of Time is a good suggestion. Here's something to think about, you might want to look at some of the older "woodie" designs that were meant for carrying big, heavy, nicad batteries. Something like a Gentle Lady converted to e-power. I fly an Electra, which is the same as a Gentle Lady and the inside of it is cavernous. You could cram a LOT of gear inside it. The Gentle Lady is sold as an ARF and as a laser cut kit. It can be converted for e-power and many people have added spoilers to them; I'm working on a spoiler mod myself. Other planes that would fit this bill would be the Great Planes Spectra, or the Chrysalis. Keep in mind that all of these are 2 meter planes.

One thing that I find is really cool about the Gentle Lady is that since the wing comes on and off with rubber bands, you can use different wings for different mission profiles. I plan on doing this with mine. I found a site, racores.com, that sells upgrade wings for the GL.

I checked out your youtube channel, you have some cool videos on there. One of these days I'm going to get into the whole FPV thing but I'll probably go with an Easystar or one of those Predator ARF's.
smoothvirus is online now Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The FAA unleashes the Banhammer
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:17 PM
Joined Aug 2006
884 Posts
Perhaps a sailplane isn't the only choice...
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/12_foot_t...33842_prd1.htm
or
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ready_bui...33841_prd1.htm

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemasters_216_ctg.htm

*****Hoby lobby stock photo, not me or anyone I know*****
Vegas_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Vegas_flyer
Last edited by Vegas_flyer; Mar 23, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:33 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,111 Posts
If you decide to give up foam, please, PLEASE, PLEASE seek some instruction from a reputable club. As the size, weight, speed and cost increase, so does the potential for hurting others and yourself.
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, NC, Lawndale
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
The Electra, Gentle Lady would be a good choice as well. The lighter motors and batteries allow you to move everything forward to balance and then you have a huge area that is accessed from underneath , where the old nicad battery usually went, you could put a lot of gear.
Tabasco is offline Find More Posts by Tabasco
Closed Thread