154 Posts
Thanks for posting.
rmmoorejr is offline Find More Posts by rmmoorejr
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:26 AM
Balsa Builder. With some foam.
Eastern Norway Scandinavia
Joined Dec 2009
1,094 Posts
Really cool Sea Plane Glider. And a very nice 1930 girl flying it.
ArneHu is offline Find More Posts by ArneHu
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,851 Posts
Thank's for sharing that I especially enjoyed it because I'm from L.I. In the early 70's I was a member of the Long Island Soaring Assoc. LISA. There are some serious cliff on the north shore of L.I. I'd like to slope soar them someday.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:18 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,953 Posts
I have the plans for the tow-line model. It's a Bowlus Paperwing, so called because it used built-up ribs with a paper shear layer covering on them. The real sailplane was- get this- a wingeron, with the entire tip rotating for roll control.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Mar 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
Every time I see those videos or pictures of old times aeromodelers a question comes to my mind:
- When did we stopped wearing a tie when going to the flying field?
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:41 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,307 Posts
Now that's a Boy Scouting activity. Full scale glider flying.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:53 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,030 Posts
Hi Up

Thanks for posting the really cool early glider video, as i'am gathering info for my scratch built primary glider of my own design.

A little of this one and a little of that one to come up with just the right look for my 8' model, it will have full cable control's and built up wing ribs like the full size have.

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2009
505 Posts
thanks for sharing. Camera man did a very stable filming job.
bigtruck169 is offline Find More Posts by bigtruck169
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: tricopter video
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:07 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,240 Posts
Thanks for posting!
really enjoyed that - the seaplane glider is so cool, and with a young lady pilot, ultra cool!

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,648 Posts
I only missed that era by 20 years!
But i'm glad to be where i'm at today, we've got some really neat stuff to play with now. And i'm glad scratchbuilding hasn't completely died!
Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:55 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,470 Posts
That is really cool UPS! The boat sounds like it has an aircraft engine in it

Al
alstrahm is online now Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:38 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
2,006 Posts
Thanks for sharing,nice vid for all the flying dreamers
regards
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:16 AM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
880 Posts
The video is great. Thanks for sharing it with us. But is also brings up some other issues:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorski View Post
I only missed that era by 20 years! But i'm glad to be where i'm at today, we've got some really neat stuff to play with now. And i'm glad scratchbuilding hasn't completely died!
I agree, but the flip side is a little disappointing. Almost 80 years later, with lots of advanced (and cheaper) technology, yet exposure to aviation or RC flight is little better than in my grandparents' day.

What are any other youth organizations doing today like the above video? The Girl Scouts have no regular exposure to aviation, planes, or flight. There are occasional special camps every few years, but at the local level girls get no introduction to any of this. The Boy Scouts offer the aviation badge, but without exposure to model flight (or an airport) there is little to motivate them, and all full scale flights require gobs of insurance and sign-offs. For a host of reasons, public schools teach less today about flight and aviation than they ever did.

So if you have some time to spare —and if you fly sailplanes you have some— look up a local youth group and offer them something. Even just having the group come watch at a local RC club is more than what most kids get.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:16 AM
Keremeos, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2004
2,639 Posts
My avatar shows me trying to mimic an earlier time, but a very good friend of mine learned to fly a Curtiss(?) Primary in the mid-20s. His sage advice was, "You are about to stall if your pantlegs stop flapping..." Their tow vehicle was a 4-cylinder Stutz, the only car that could get the glider off in the length of field they had. They used to get gas money by challenging luxury car drivers that their Packard/Cadillac/Pierce/whatever could not tow up the glider. One run down the field, and the glider was only a few feet up... The wager was paid, the Stutz refuelled, and away they went!

Our Chanute-type was spruce and baling wire, covered in 6mil plastic. It eventually received a new coat of polyester, and now hangs in a museum, wrongly labelled as a "Chanute Replica", built by a guy I have never heard of, never mind anyone who participated in the designing, building, or flying of project.
TLyttle is offline Find More Posts by TLyttle