SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:35 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Discussion
A Good TX for Sim Use Only ???

I am after a good TX for sim use only after hammering my DX6i doing 3D on phoneix and FSone.
I would love a great TX with femake mono plug that has nice gimbals it will not used for real RC just the sim is there such a thing ? I know there are a lot of cheap plastic ones out there but are they up to the job ?

Thanks
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Buy RF. What you are looking for is included with the software!
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Mar 21, 2012, 08:30 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
Buy RF. What you are looking for is included with the software!
Nice Gag ! but i wont be buying RF just for the controller besides its for phoenix and FSone not RF.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
C'mon, Kris! You know I had to!
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:53 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
C'mon, Kris! You know I had to!
Yes you did didnt you
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:00 AM
FS One
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
Futaba T8FG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
I am after a good TX for sim use only after hammering my DX6i doing 3D on phoneix and FSone.
I would love a great TX with femake mono plug that has nice gimbals it will not used for real RC just the sim is there such a thing ? I know there are a lot of cheap plastic ones out there but are they up to the job ?

Thanks
I have many Tx's but I use the Futaba T8FG. Reasons:

- solid control sticks that do not flex in the corners. Comparison is the DX5e with really soft sticks.

- both right and left sticks move the same amount. Comparison is the JR 12X and other JR's were the throttle stick does not go all the way down or up. I've never understood that part of the design of JR radios ...

- ability to program switches how I like them. I have six 3-position switches and two 2-position switches. I Iike the ability to config things to my preferences.

- the switches themselves are very high quality, and the bezel housing does not unscrew itself.

- the base is the right size and in the right position, i.e. when you set the Tx down it's properly balanced on the "wheel base". It will not tip over. Also, the base is completely flat, i.e. not designed with a double angle 'rocker' feet like some other Tx's. And to emphasize, the base does not have 'feet' but instead is a uniform flat surface -- so it's stable even when sitting on bits and pieces of desktop junk.

- trainer port cable plugs into the back through a 90-deg cable, i.e. cable plugs in and then angles 90 deg up, which works out really well for using w/ a sim. Most other comparison Tx's have the cable sticking out.

- it's eight channels so everything in FS One gets on the Tx

- the battery lasts a really long time ..., and it beeps if I forget and leave it plugged in and thus on.

- the antenna folds down and really gets out of the way

- it has a good feel in the hands, which is important when flying for a long time. Also, it's not overweight.

- Stick resolution is very good and the response does not lag. I can use this Tx and flick the sticks and I see the same thing happen to control surfaces in the sim. Most all other Tx's do not track this well out the PPM side of things, i.e. what sims use for the input signal to the USB.

So that's my incomplete list off the top of my head .....
I don't have any minus's for this Tx.

That's my two cents.
MSelig is offline Find More Posts by MSelig
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:50 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Thanks Michael but 389.99 for a Futaba T8FG which is for sim use only is a bit much dont you think
Old Mar 23, 2012, 05:52 PM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
I guess you can find a DX8 for $350 (1 yr warranty). An 8-ch JR is probably more (3 yr warranty). When I look at my list (above) ... most of them are worth something more to me vs a DX8 (or some similar 8-ch Tx). So the extra $125 is worth it. I should add that I got my Fut T8FG used, and that helped on price. But even used it was basically brand new and even today it still works like new. A bonus: I've not had to send it back for repairs like other Tx's I've owned.

So I'm sticking to it: my preference T8FG.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
I have the Dynam 6 Ch USB controller Which i like and hobbypartz.com has it for a very attractive price.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:12 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Thanks for the info guys i will look into this further one other thing using a better TX with a higher 2048 resolution work on the sim or just in reality ?
I tried the DX8 on a sim yesterday and i seemed to have more locked in feel with the model especial in 3D more so than when i tried the DX6i does this make sense ???
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:14 AM
FS One
Joined Sep 2005
501 Posts
FS One uses 2048 resolution on the USB into PC (so it picks up the higher resolution of high quality Tx's) and you can feel it. The other sims use 256 and you can feel it ..., i.e. the sims will not pick up the resolution of real Tx's with 2048 resolution. So you bring up a good question here. More info on 2048:

http://www.fsone.com/technology2048.php
Old Mar 24, 2012, 03:25 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Thanks for that Michael.

So the other sims RF/Phoenix fly at 256 that's pretty poor resolution and not the resolution you would have in reality well thats quite shocking to be honest ! I am so pleased i purchased FSone going to buy a 2048 TX