HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:24 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Oct 2003
276 Posts
Discussion
new Eclipse 7 Pro as the Instructor and old Eclipse 7 as the student

Background - I have a number of planes and helis that I currently use with a old Eclipse 7 with a 72mhz module. I am looking to upgrade to a 2.4 GHz system - I am thinking that the new Eclipse 7 Pro would be a good option for me. I also would like to be able to use the old 72mhz Eclipse 7 as a student box for my son.

Questions 1. Is the new Eclipse 7 Pro and the old Eclipse 7 a good instructor/student combo?

2 .I am correct in thinking that I wouldn't need to upgrade the old Eclipse 7 with a Spectra 2.4 GHz module just to use the old Eclipse 7 as a dedicated student/slave box?

3. And finally - if I did choose to upgrade the old Eclipse 7 with a Spectra 2.4 GHz module at some stage then that set up would be compatible with the existing range of Optima 6 and Optima 7 receivers?

Thanks Dave
Retro is offline Find More Posts by Retro
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Eclipse 7 Pro Trainer (aka buddy) System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
Background - I have a number of planes and helis that I currently use with a old Eclipse 7 with a 72mhz module.
I am looking to upgrade to a 2.4 GHz system - I am thinking that the new Eclipse 7 Pro would be a good option for me.
I also would like to be able to use the old 72mhz Eclipse 7 as a student box for my son.
Questions 1. Is the new Eclipse 7 Pro and the old Eclipse 7 a good instructor/student combo?
2 .I am correct in thinking that I wouldn't need to upgrade the old Eclipse 7 with a
Spectra 2.4 GHz module just to use the old Eclipse 7 as a dedicated student/slave box?
3. And finally - if I did choose to upgrade the old Eclipse 7 with a Spectra 2.4 GHz module
at some stage then that set up would be compatible with the existing range of Optima 6 and Optima 7 receivers?
Thanks Dave
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes

Yesterdays answer to another post will assist:
Eclipse 7 Pro for Trainer / Buddy.
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeontheBike View Post
I may not be seeing it but I don't see where it says anything
in all of of that about using an eclipse 7 pro as a master and what tx can be used as slave.
Please refer to the header
"Hitec provide two training lead accessory packs:
#58320 TRAINER CABLE (between 6 cell transmitter battery systems)
[Do Not substitute/use a standard stereo cable as the Hitec cable plugs are cross wired]
and tip shapes do differ as pictured
#58321 TRAINER CABLE FULL PACKAGE (#58320 + Slave DIN + Master DIN) -
For use between a 6 cell transmitter battery system and 8 cell transmitter battery system.
(NB: All 8 cell type TX used as a Slave, must have own power supply, i.e. a battery pack installed, refer instructions.)
Transmitter Trainer Cords and USB Interfaces - (available Hobby Horse & Maxx Products if not at LHS. )"
. para #5. (and associated Tx suitable as a master/slave), para #7, para #8 & para #9.
(Best buddy/master for an Eclipse 7 Pro is another Eclipse 7 or an Aurora 9 closely followed by an Optic 6)
. The Trainer / Buddy Cable Instruction sheet being attachment #1.
as well as circuit diagrams and relative information in the additional posts same page.
The trainer system for the Eclipse 7 Pro is the same setup as the Aurora 9 except
no digital display popups and only one system choice.

. Extract from page 12, Eclipse 7 Pro Manual, attached hereto.

Also refer sub Section "Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
examples:
"Hitec Aurora Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up
Hitec Buddy - Trainer Box Compatibility & Battery requirements, refer to Posts #3, #5 & #7.
Hitec Trainer (Buddy) System Update - New "Stereo Plug" system and how to use "

Further information available:
. Hitec Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ

Alan T.

[Right click attachments and open in new window. Button bottom right of screen enables viewing size increase upto 400%
+ 125% < + 150% provides easier reading.]
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Feb 02, 2013 at 07:50 PM. Reason: add title
Old Mar 21, 2012, 12:24 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Oct 2003
276 Posts
Excellent thanks Alan - I really do appreciate the prompt response and additional information.

Kind regards
Dave
Retro is offline Find More Posts by Retro
Old Apr 08, 2014, 10:54 AM
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
The setup not run, I'm doing something wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes

Yesterdays answer to another post will assist:
Eclipse 7 Pro for Trainer / Buddy.
"

Please refer to the header
"Hitec provide two training lead accessory packs:
#58320 TRAINER CABLE (between 6 cell transmitter battery systems)
[Do Not substitute/use a standard stereo cable as the Hitec cable plugs are cross wired]
and tip shapes do differ as pictured
#58321 TRAINER CABLE FULL PACKAGE (#58320 + Slave DIN + Master DIN) -
For use between a 6 cell transmitter battery system and 8 cell transmitter battery system.
(NB: All 8 cell type TX used as a Slave, must have own power supply, i.e. a battery pack installed, refer instructions.)
Transmitter Trainer Cords and USB Interfaces - (available Hobby Horse & Maxx Products if not at LHS. )"
. para #5. (and associated Tx suitable as a master/slave), para #7, para #8 & para #9.
(Best buddy/master for an Eclipse 7 Pro is another Eclipse 7 or an Aurora 9 closely followed by an Optic 6)
. The Trainer / Buddy Cable Instruction sheet being attachment #1.
as well as circuit diagrams and relative information in the additional posts same page.
The trainer system for the Eclipse 7 Pro is the same setup as the Aurora 9 except
no digital display popups and only one system choice.

. Extract from page 12, Eclipse 7 Pro Manual, attached hereto.

Also refer sub Section "Trainer (Buddy box) cables - DIY " under
"Buddy Boxes. Servo Leads. Flight Simulator & Interface." at:
examples:
"Hitec Aurora Trainer / Buddy system Master & Slave function Set-up
Hitec Buddy - Trainer Box Compatibility & Battery requirements, refer to Posts #3, #5 & #7.
Hitec Trainer (Buddy) System Update - New "Stereo Plug" system and how to use "

Further information available:
. Hitec Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro - All Manuals, Addenda, Quick Setup, CCPM and Additional Programming FAQ

Alan T.

[Right click attachments and open in new window. Button bottom right of screen enables viewing size increase upto 400%
+ 125% < + 150% provides easier reading.]

Mr Alan T.
I have Aurora9 as Master and Eclipse 7 (old 72Mhz without RF Module) as Slave, conected between theirs with trainer cord (Stereo 3.5 mm plug - DIN6). This setup not run. Have I to program something special into the radios?
I have been reading all your posts but I can't run it. Could you Mind help me , please.
simonreed is offline Find More Posts by simonreed
Old Apr 08, 2014, 02:08 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonreed View Post
Mr Alan T.
I have Aurora9 as Master and Eclipse 7 (old 72Mhz without RF Module) as Slave, conected between theirs with trainer cord (Stereo 3.5 mm plug - DIN6).
This setup not run. Have I to program something special into the radios?
I have been reading all your posts but I can't run it.
Could you Mind help me , please.
Please confirm the brand and model of your slave Tx as all Eclipse 7 have had a removable module, except for the Eclipse 7 Pro
. Hitec Eclipse 7 & Eclipse 7 Pro - FAQ - Setup and Additional Programming
. ( Later just realised you may have meant you are using a standard Eclipse with module removed? )That should not be a problem.

Number one reason users have problems is that they forget the Eclipse must also:
. Have a battery installed.
. Be turned on, the two wire lead to Aurora does not have any power connected.

Aurora set up:
Ensure Trainer is activated, then set the switch so that the On/Off positions are altered to show switch H
top position on screen is "Off" and the bottom position on screen shows "On".
i.e. when switch is pulled toward you, the "Trainer" top left of screen changes to "On".
If still not working, please also confirm you are using a genuine Hitec trainer cord set #58321 or
supply a diagram of how you wired the cable being used.

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Apr 10, 2014 at 05:12 AM. Reason: update URL